The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#32931 - 08/01/04 09:45 PM Re: outdoors
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks for the site Daphne, I am interested in anything that will bring me relief from stress and panic attacks. I am seeing a therapist and on medication but can't seem to shake this. Probably due to all the stress I have been under in the last 2 months. That list is endless!

Vicki, what aroma do I need for peace and tranquility? Daphne I will be signing up for your newsletter. I think I need all thehelp that I can get.

Sherri

#32932 - 08/02/04 02:15 AM Re: outdoors
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sherri, try Lavender for relaxation therapy. Put a fewdrops into your bath and spray some oil on a light bulb in whichever room you're in the most....sure helped me lately when my sight was faltering. [Wink]

#32933 - 08/02/04 05:19 AM Re: outdoors
Sherri Offline

Sounds good Charleen, I will p;ick some up. Thanks for the tip.

Sherri

#32934 - 08/03/04 07:55 AM Re: outdoors
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sherri, Lavender is a good oil to start with. It will help you sleep. But, if you use it too much during the day, it won't help you at night.

Another oil you can try is Geranium, it's great for the nervous system. Very relaxing and pleasant.

Chamomile works too. If you're looking for something to wear, you can try Jasmine or Rose.

#32935 - 08/02/04 08:16 PM Re: outdoors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Daphne, it is great to have someone with your expertise amomgst us. [Smile] You do have a great site, full of much needed info.

Sugaree

#32936 - 08/03/04 02:41 AM Re: outdoors
Daphne Offline

Loc: Macon, GA
You ladies are so welcoming! I appreciate the feedback on my post and my web site. Vicki and Sheri, some thoughts about your questions:

1. Stress is best managed by the wisdom you've probably heard elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. Get plenty of exercise--aerobics like walking or swimming, and stretching like yoga and Pilates-- but don't forget resistance training either. Weight training does wonders for increasing the body's capacity to relax (not to mention combatting osteoporosis). Watch nutrition. Minimize the consumption of sugar and alcohol, since both affect blood sugar, which can wreak havoc with your moods. Emphasize plenty of fruits and vegetables and complex carbs. Getting out in the sunshine every day (an hour or so is ideal), since exposing the eyes to natural sunlight helps with the conversion of melotonin to serotonin--the "feel-good" chemical in the brain--and encourages good sleep. I agree that boosts like aromatherapy can be helpful--lavendar is relaxing, and rose lifts mood--and I also agree that you don't want to expose yourself to too much of each, since the olfactory system tends to get desensitized--it's best to switch to different scents. I also recommend things like massage therapy, which helps in a myriad of ways. A good acupuncturist or energy healer can make a big difference. And the judicious use of medication can be very helpful. Just make sure you find a doctor with whom you can be a real partner in decreasing your stress and optimizing your health--stay away from "rubber stamp treatments" that may not be geared to your particular needs. And it goes without saying, but Dotsie's "friends heal friends" motto is critical. Being able to laugh and cry with people you trust, to vent your emotions, and to gain some perspective, can make the difference in being chronically stress-plagued and seeing periods of as a signal that you need to focus more on self-care, rest, and exercise.

Just some basic ideas. As to the question about social anxiety, it helps to practice getting out for small periods of time. Try to avoid seeing any outing--a trip to the grocery or a party or church--as a "test" of your wellness. Try to see it instead of an opportunity to practice being out among people for a period of time you can tolerate. Social anxiety can indicate several things: A brain chemistry imbalance that needs to be addressed medically. A problem with your energy system, addressed by an energy psychologist or healer. An unhealed trauma or a loss or grief that is asking for your attention. Or it can indicate simply a new phase of life--and midlife is filled with changes, as we all know.

This is what I've learned from both personal and professional experience: Self-judgment is the primary enemy of wellness, both in stress management and in social anxiety (and, for that matter, in a lot of other mental health challenges. .) It helps sometimes to simply notice the self-judgmental thoughts we are feeling. Know that those anxiety-demons tell us lies about ourselves. They're implanted in our psyches by the culture, and sometimes by our families. Every symptom is really a signal from the psyche that we are ready to become a little more whole. . .

Thanks for asking--hope this helps.
Daphne
www.daphnestevens.com

#32937 - 08/03/04 06:55 PM Re: outdoors
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
thanks for your wonderful insight, Daphne. You make some great points. I think it's awesome that you mentioned energy healing, as I'm a Reiki Master and Healing Shaman. I provide energy healings both in person and from a distance.

As for the SAD, I am being treated chemically for it, along with a myriad of other MI, and it is working. Making a trip outside the house is still a major production for me, but I do get out. [Smile] It's just easier to find excuses not to go, until it's necessary, like grocery shopping.

You're a great asset to BWS. I hope you post more.

Peace.

#32938 - 08/03/04 08:45 PM Re: outdoors
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Daphne:
Self-judgment is the primary enemy of wellness, both in stress management and in social anxiety (and, for that matter, in a lot of other mental health challenges. .) It helps sometimes to simply notice the self-judgmental thoughts we are feeling. Know that those anxiety-demons tell us lies about ourselves. They're implanted in our psyches by the culture, and sometimes by our families. Every symptom is really a signal from the psyche that we are ready to become a little more whole. . .

Thanks for asking--hope this helps.
Daphne
www.daphnestevens.com

I appreciate your comments. I especially like what you have to say about self-judgment. This is where faith plays a tremendous part.

If we listen to our God and can grasp:

His love
His desire for our success
Forgiveness for our sins
Constant attention
Daily blessings

then we are so much better off.

We are not to compare ourselves with others.
We are to LOVE ourselves.

Living a life with God at the helm and truly grasping His love helps rid ourselves of the demons (negativity) and allows confidence to flow.

Just my 2 cents.

Daphne, I hope you post more too!

Please visit her site ladies.

#32939 - 08/03/04 09:49 PM Re: outdoors
Sherri Offline

Thanks Daphne for your insight. I am right now on stress leave and my medication has been doubled and then doubled again. Each Dr that I have seen or counselor says, "You really have a lot on your plate!" I know that! I have to know how to get rid of it. Panic attacks, that leads to depression. I saw a therapist, and had an appointment for the following week at the same time. I went, after having a bad panic attack at work and was sent home, and I wasn't in the computer. I couldn't get in!

I called employee assistance and they set me up with a counselor, I went to her last night, didn't connect with her at all, except that she says "You have a lot on your plate" and "I know how you feel with panic attacks. Handed me some literature and then said she would be gone for 12 days. So I called the original therapist, and I am seeing her tomorrow. I am on at least 2 weeks of stress rest from work. At least she told me to write and pray, the one last night just said, I can tell you I went through a couple of years of hell with panic attacks too.

She also said, your mind and emotions have reached the boiling point and you need help before it starts affecting your BP and kick up your heart arrythmia again. Not like I didn't realize that!!

My Dr is wonderful, he said he would be praying for me and urged me to find a church home. I have not attended regularily for some years. Long story about that! So, anyway that is where I am at. My session did me no good laset night and I am hoping for more tomorrow. The Dr will review in 2 weeks if I am balanced out enough to resume working. He will be speaking to my therapist and I have an appt again for next Friday with him.

I am so sorry for rambling on, but really feel that I have no one to talk to. My husband, as much as I love him, does not understand. He is also worried that I will lose my job again. I don't know about that either, and that does tend to increase stress and tension between us.

So friends, think of me please and say a little prayer that I will be able to have the time off to get the help that I need and give my medication time to kick in.

Thanks for listening.

Sherri

#32940 - 08/04/04 05:05 AM Re: outdoors
Daphne Offline

Loc: Macon, GA
Vicki, it's wonderful that you do energy healing. And my experience (for myself as well as my clients) is that healing shows up [Frown] through whatever channel God wants to send it. One thing I love about this time of life is that I've let go of the need to be attached to one idea about healing. God is infinitely creative and gracious in the ways He provides healing, and we can grow more and more open in our capacity to accept it in all its manifestations. . .I also agree with Sherri, that finding the right therapist is an alchemical process: We have to find one who is respectful of us, and able to be caring while offering expertise. And I love the expression "stress rest." I've been knocked down this week with a tooth-ache. After months of driving too hard and trying to keep up with my practice while finishing my book, I've been a little ragged around the edges. While facing a root canal isn't my idea of psychotherapy, I'll be spending tomorrow and possibly the next day waiting for the endodontist to work me in. I'm in too much pain to see clients, and taking enough pain meds to ease it makes me sleepy. So I'll be gorked out, waiting by the phone--a kind of tooth-impost stress rest. .

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved