The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32705 - 09/16/03 03:30 PM depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I recently received a story for the book about depression. Seems to be something more and more people are battling these days. The article was about a woman and one of her biggest fears is that it will show up in her children.

I have been surprised by the number of teens I hear and know about that are on anti-depressants. While I know there is definitely a place for these drugs (I personally had to take Serzone after a car accident I was in a few years ago due to post traumatic stress syndrome, so I understand the whole chemical component)I am afraid they could be over prescribed just like any other drug. Any thoughts on this?

How do you determine what is clinic depression and what are typical teen angst due to break-ups, not fitting in, etc? Dumb question 'cause I know there are ways for therapists to do this, but do you think pediatricians are prescribing too often, and without therapy. I don't like to see people put on the meds without therapy to help them sort out why they are depressed.

Comments?

#32706 - 09/16/03 04:06 PM Re: depression
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I'm not sure about pediatricians prescribing too often....but there seems to be an increase in the number of people in general being diagnosed with depression - I read an article about this awhile ago. The question is - are we just better at diagnosing depression and helping people with it, or are doctors just prescribing quick fixes? I don't know enough about depression to comment. I remember the article questioning how do we tell the difference between the "blues" and depression?

It does sadden me though that I know of so many women who go to their doctors with peri-menopausal or pre-menstrual syndromes, some of which could be alleviated by herbs and a good diet, and they come home with prescriptions for Paxil. We seem to want to numb ourselves from what we feel....

#32707 - 09/18/03 04:34 PM Re: depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Evie, I couldn't agree more. For whatever reason, I shy away form taking rx drugs.

When I went to my GYN a couple years ago and told her I retained water after I ovulated she wanted to write me an rx for a fluid pill.

I told her, "No thanks, I'll deal with it." And now I learned of the evening primrose oil and couldn't be happier!

I am so afraid our children are growing up in a world where you ca get a pill for this and a pill for that. All of that is well and good if needed, but often times I don't think a well defined diagnosis is made.

#32708 - 09/19/03 04:20 AM Re: depression
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
in the mental health outpatient program where I worked for 10 years was a 50 year old chronically depressed woman who said that she'd been changing her meds periodically, because they got to the point where they didn't work. Finally, her doctor said to her, and it sank in, that there might be a root cause for her depression, and that no medication could make that go away. She seemed kind of surprised to hear it, and kind of relieved also. It started her on a sort of quest. I think there's a very strong strain of thinking in our culture that there are "diseases" that have "cures" and that we don't have to exert any effort to relieve ourselves of these things.

#32709 - 09/20/03 06:26 PM Re: depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

DJ, so true about us not having to exert any effort to relieve ourselves of these things. Everyone wants a quick fix.

This is one of the reasons we are trying very hard to keep our daughter off medicne for her diabetes. My husband believes that once you go on medicine for certain things, you never learn to discipline yourself to do what is best for your body.

This is also true of people who go on medicine for cholesterol. They take the medicine and never change their diets.

While I know medicine for diabetes and cholesterol is most definitely needed for many people, I still believe doctors are quick to prescribe before getting people to change habits.

#32710 - 09/22/03 12:09 AM Re: depression
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My doctor has recently recommended Lipitor for high cholesterol. My cholesterol was always great now it is 127. I need some education on this but I don't think that is so bad. I do believe diet should be tried first. My other dilema is multiple sclerosis. Early intervention with medication is supposed to keep big symptoms at bay for 15 - 20 years. MS is next to impossible to nail down a diagnosis. My MS is one of those (I am thanking God for the ambiguity). But...the end result of my taking medication or not taking medication won't be seen for a decade or more. This makes the decision making all the more difficult. Medication is all by injection which is more of a deterrent. Nothing is ever simple and as we get older it seems to get more complex for us or our kids.

#32711 - 09/22/03 03:28 AM Re: depression
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I hate to sound like a fanatic about this, but I'm really excited about the new research I've found relating diet and health. I always knew there was a connection and I finally have a doctor who's interpreting the research for me and we're acting on it, even though my insurance won't pay for some of it.
Anyway, lately I heard that they believe that MS is related to intestinal candida infections, as are lupus and chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. Candida is a fungus that prevents your gut from absorbing nutrients correctly (leading to leaky gut syndrome, adrenal exhaustion, and worse). The early symtpoms can be subtle. I never really even felt sick, but only felt like I was slowing down, getting older, feeling tired, etc., plus gaining weight and not being able to get rid of it, which was new for me. I know we're going to be hearing lots more about this in the US.
My understanding is that doctors in Australia are much more with it. We have the AMA over here to contend with, and while that may be good for some things, it may not be so good for independent investigation of the truth about health care.
Candida can be controlled by controlling your intake of foods that it thrives on, at least temporarily. Then get on a diet that's less carbo oriented, like with more proteins and green vegetables. A carbo loaded diet includes grains, fruit, fruit juice, root vegetables like beets, carrots, potatoes. Candida also thrives on sugar, vinegar and yeast. Caffeine is bad for it too. Doesn't this sound like the typical American diet?

#32712 - 09/22/03 04:05 PM Re: depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I am going to send this post to Julie in AUstralia and see what she has to say. She is in the forums and she may be able to shed some light on the difference in medical treatment between here and there,

#32713 - 09/22/03 08:41 PM Re: depression
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
I have/had chronic fatigue syndrome, going on 6 years since inseption, and also fibromyalgia which I will always have. I will also have tendencies toward chronic fatigue and must watch my activity level. That is veryhard. As to candida or otherwise known as yeast there is a book by Willam G. Crook, MD The Yeast Connection a medical breakthrough. Under the supervision of a doctor and nutritionist I went on the cleansing and follow-up diet. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. However, it is certainly worth a try for everyone as everyone reacts differently to things. I have been on the Carbohydrate Addicts diet for almost 3 years and it seems to work some for me. I lost 50 pounds but still have 50 to go. I am staying stable. Along with this my blood sugars have remained relativelystable and most of all my A1C is 5.4. All diabetics know this is great. That diet has been around for 20+ years and is by Drs Rachael and Richard Heller of NYC. There is a test in the front to see if you are a carbohydrate addict or not. It doesn't work on those who aren't. I was a very brittle addict. Good luck to all who try new things to feel better. I will say, no matter what I feel best when I drink water and get regular exercise and a good night sleep. Unfortunatly exercise and a good night sleep haven't gone together. I haven't gotten that fixed yet. I'm working on it tho. Remember, don't do anything without consulting your physician first, and I am an RN/BSN saying this.

#32714 - 09/26/03 04:29 PM Re: depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Congrats on losing 50 pounds. It amazes me that people cans stick to diets long enough to lose that much weight. You really ahve staying power!

One of my sisters has lost 91 pounds on the Atkins diet. It has been almost a year and she is still sticking to it. She was home not long ago and her eating habits have really changed. She behaved ALMOST the whole time she was home.

I was a bad influence and had to take her out for a Rita's...the kind with custard and Italian ice mixed together. It is replacing my chocolate with marshmallow snowball fix! [Razz]

#32715 - 09/26/03 08:08 PM Re: depression
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Just an update, for those with diabetes theywill appreciate this, I had my 4 mo. doctor visit and my A1C was 4.9!!! My MD said I should frame the results and that it was better than most non-diabetics. Good luck to the rest of you. Long may I be able to keep this up.

#32716 - 09/27/03 02:37 AM Re: depression
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Swimbo,
Congratulations, Wow you are really doing well.
Keep up the good work.
[Smile] Maggie

#32717 - 09/27/03 04:53 PM Re: depression
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Swimbo, I am all too familiar with those A1C tests because of my hubby and daughter. Wow! you go girl! You must feel great with those results. [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved