The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#32689 - 07/29/03 05:16 PM medications
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I continue to be amazed at the variety of medications that are on the market now to help with depression, panic attacks, mood swings, ADD/ADHD, etc.

Having had to take an anti-depressant at one time in my life I must say that I am grateful they are available and they work!

I had been in a car accident and was falling apart at the seems emotionally from living in shoulder pain and not being able to care for my family.

One thing I learned was to listen to the doctor, especially if it's a good one.

When my first prescription ran out I felt so much better so I stopped taking it (not what the doctor had ordered).

Within a week I was feely creepy again and the doubts and fears were coming back.

I did a refill and they disappeared.

The doctor told me I needed to be on the meds for the at least the same period of time I felt depressed prior to taking the meds, so I could relearn my old ways of healthy thinking.

I stayed on the medication for 6 months just to make sure the creepy thinking wouldn't return and it worked like a dream.

As someone else has mentioned in our community, don't suffer in silence! There is too much help out there. [Wink]

#32690 - 07/29/03 09:07 PM Re: medications
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
anti-depressants... wow.. now there's a subject I'm familiar with.

When I was younger I suffered from HORRIBLE migraines. (I still do, but the meds are much better now than they were 10-15 years ago). One of my many doctors put me on Inderal which I took for nearly a year.

Then, about a year later, I had a thyroid storm attack (I felt like I was having a heart attack) and was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Along with Graves Disease, it affected my heart causing arrythmia. My dr tried various beta blockers but discovered that the only one my body could tolerate was Inderal. He tried many times to get me off Inderal and onto something else, but each time he changed my medication I'd end up in the hospital. So, we continued the Inderal - For OVER THREE YEARS.

Inderal is not supposed to be taken long term. It's only supposed to be taken for a max of 9 months. I was on it for OVER THREE YEARS.

The side effect for taking Inderal for so long as clinical depression. Which was escalated by continued bed rest due to Graves Disease and the knowledge that I had an entire lifestyle change.

It took another 9 months to find the right dosage of med to get me off Inderal and then 2 years of taking various anti-depressants before we got the depression under control. I'm now completely anti-deppressant free.. and have been for 4 months.

YAY!

#32691 - 08/10/03 07:12 AM Re: medications
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, you must feel so great to be off the medications and know you are able to make it without them.

Kinda feel like a free bird?!

One thing I learned from the time I was on them that makes me feel good...and that is the fact that medication is always just a prescription away should ever need it again.

Just knowing that gives me peace.

With a son going off to college soon and having heard stories of women getting depressed at this time in life, I retain the thought that the medicine is always there if needed.

So far, so good! [Big Grin]

And thanks for sharing your story with all of us.

#32692 - 08/11/03 02:10 PM Re: medications
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
While in Oregon I met a women who has written a book or more on depression and will have them published in2004. It's an interesting more holistic approach. Thought I'd pass it on.

#32693 - 08/11/03 02:13 PM Re: medications
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
OK now let me give you her website.(Should have previewed.)www.bipolarhappens.com

#32694 - 08/17/03 12:04 AM Re: medications
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Wow, I took a look at the website you gave for BiPolar Happens. That woman has been through a lot. Truly an inspiration.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved