The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#32642 - 02/07/03 09:25 PM ADHD
Lasikboomer Offline

Loc: Baltimore
My ten year old son has ADHD and possibly a mood disorder. We held off on medication for a long time and tried other alternatives, which I believe do work for some. However, after holding off as long as we could, we made the decision, with the help of a psychologist and a psychiatrist, to put him on medication. I have never regretted this decision because we know he really needs it. He has been taking Adderal for almost two years and it has made a significant difference in his school work and other areas. This week I just learned about a new medication that has only been on the market for three weeks.
It is called Strattera. It is the first non-stimulent medication approved by the FDA for ADHD.It apparently has less side effects.
I spoke to my son's psychiatrist about this and he says he has been following the studies on this medication for several years. He believes that it is a good medication but he wants to wait awhile before he tries it with my son. He has several of his adult patients and adolescent patients trying it now and he wants to see how they do with it. If anyone has any feedback on the use of this new medicine, please let me know. Also, if anyone is interested in learning more about it, there is a website...www.strattera.com

#32643 - 02/12/03 02:03 AM Re: ADHD
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have a friend who said her son was trying it. I will check with her to see how it is going.

What a topic! Seems like so many people are being diagnosed with ADHD these days. I also know of some parents who have been diagnosed shortly after their kids are.

I went to Catholic school and I am convinced that some of the kids I went to school with had it back then and we didn't know what it was so they were the bad kids. What a shame!

I am so thankful for medication for this because in many cases it makes a world of difference for the child and the atmosphere at home! Best wishes!

#32644 - 02/13/03 05:43 PM Re: ADHD
Dotsie Offline
Founder

One of my children had a physical today. I took the opportunity to ask my doctor if she had heard of the medication you mentioned.

She told me that she does have some youth on it and that they are doing very well.

She is a very conservative woman. She isn't one to prescribe, prescribe, prescribe! In fact she has already suggested alternative medicine options for my children... so I trust her judgement.

#32645 - 02/25/03 04:37 AM Re: ADHD
Lasikboomer Offline

Loc: Baltimore
Thanks for the info. I have a feeling that we will be trying the strattera sometime in the near future. I'll let you know if we do.

#32646 - 03/06/03 02:09 PM Re: ADHD
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I heard some more positive remarks about strattera yesterday. The guidance counselor at my daughter's school told me that there are several kids on it at his school and they are doing extremely well. He said it is like a magic pill...no side effects. [Razz]

But then of course he added that it was a new drug and we don't know about long term...egads! [Confused]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved