The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#2834 - 09/23/05 01:59 AM Re: Where are you from?
777shar Offline

Loc: Daytona, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida has been my location for the last 25 years, in my first 21 it was Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania --then a few years each in West Virginia and South Carolina--USA

#2835 - 09/23/05 02:38 AM Re: Where are you from?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Fiftyandfine, During my stay in Brigus (near St John's) in the summer of 1979, I had lots of time to explore the area. I spent a whole day browsing through my Mom's family cemetary and was able to trace my Bartlett/Thompson ancestors all the way back to the early 1600's! It was exciting and very uplifting. Because I hardly knew anything about my Mom's or Dad's family history, it was the first time in my life that I experienced any sense of rootedness.

#2836 - 09/23/05 07:12 AM Re: Where are you from?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Debra...fog, rock, screech, cod and all that goes with it...isn't is a great place with some down to earth folk? I am glad you had the pleasure of visiting.

Eagle, Brigus is only a few gun shots from Northern Bay. Fifty, I have cousins in Stephenville. I bet if we stating digging deep enough, we'd all end up related.

You have me homesick for that rocky old Isle. The ocean is calling me.
My ancestors on my Mom's side are Irish(Tipperary). Do you girls know your NF roots?

JJ, If you ever showed up in NF, I swear, they wouldn't let you leave(nor would you want to).
Newfoundlanders and Alabamians have many similarities. Southern hospitality and Down East hospitality is pretty well matched from my experience. I have been doubly blessed, I am a Southern-Down East Belle. [Big Grin]

Itza, tell us more about where you're from in England.

Shar, I simply love Florida...would retire there in a heartbeat but looks like I'm gonna be a Tennessee...root?

chick

#2837 - 09/24/05 07:34 AM Re: Where are you from?
Debra Offline

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Chick---yes! I always have such a great time there! Let's not forget the newfie humor! Love it! My friend goes to Stephenville to visit all her relatives there. Her dad's family is huge! Ever hear of the LaCosta's? I love the hometown cooking too---Jigg's dinner..mmmmmm....bluberry pudding...fish and brewis..ok, I'm hungry now!! [Big Grin]

#2838 - 09/23/05 09:16 PM Re: Where are you from?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Fifty - You've been to Pagosa??? Most people haven't even heard of it. My teens say it's in the middle of nowhere, but I think they all think that, no matter where they live.

#2839 - 09/23/05 09:48 PM Re: Where are you from?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oooh, I LOVE fresh Newfie blueberry pudding! I stayed with my uncle in Brigus and he had enormous patches of blueberries right outside his back door. Blueberry pancakes, blueberry jam, blueberry pie, blueberry pudding.

My Mom's Bartlett side has been in Newfoundland for several generations, as far back as the 1600's. Before that, I think the ancestry might have been "Methodist Welsh", according to my Mom, but even she wasn't sure. Nobody ever talked about "BN" ("before Newfoundland"). The Rock was Home.

Mom's mother (Thompson) was born in Twillingate, and as far as I can tell, that side of the family had also lived in Newfoundland since the 1600's. Don't know the BN ancestry, probably English or Welsh...but definitely Methodist!

#2840 - 09/30/05 03:46 AM Re: Where are you from?
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Mrs. M-- Where in Washington state? And how did you get to Russia and how long are you there for?
I grew up in upstate New York on the Canadian border. I've stayed on the Canadian border almost ever since, but different coast. My then boyfriend (my husband long since) and I hopped on his motorcycle in 1973 and briefly went to L.A. On our trip up the coast we landed in Port Angeles, Wa where the bike promptly broke down. While he was fixing it he was offered a job and I decided to go back to college so we stayed there. Moved 60 miles away 3 years later to a lovely little coastal town and had our first child a few years after that. Then we moved to Duluth, Minnesota for a year while I was in college again (and had our 2nd baby there), then back to our little Washington town where we've lived happily in our log cabin we built in the woods ever since. The end. Or, since kids are now grown and flown off to college, the beginning. Again.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#2841 - 09/30/05 03:56 AM Re: Where are you from?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I think she meant Russia in a figurative way...

#2842 - 09/30/05 04:05 AM Re: Where are you from?
Dahti Blanchard Offline

WB--You're right. I just realized that after I sent the post and read some others.

by Dahti Blanchard

#2843 - 09/30/05 04:11 AM Re: Where are you from?
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Eagle,
My mother's parents owned the "Octagon Castle" which was apparently a pretty well known hotel in New Foundland until it burned a little after the turn of the 20th century. Have you ever heard of it?
My father's family lived in upstate NY where I grew up since the early 1700's and the family home that burned when I was 3 or 4 was an inn in the 1700 through 1800's.

by Dahti Blanchard

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved