The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220848 - 05/01/15 08:21 PM Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hola everyone!

I may not have a drop pf Hispanic blood in me, and I live in the Midwest, but that has never stopped me from enjoying good Mexican food.

So, with Cinco de Mayo all but upon us, I knew it was time to share some great recipes.

Recently, one of my favorite food bloggers, "Iowa Girl Eats," posted a roundup of something like 35 great Mexican influenced dishes from a variety of food bloggers.

Voila! (Sorry, I know that's French) I just knew I had to share it here!

From Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip to Brown Butter Churros -- and of course not forgetting Blood Orange Margaritas, here's to enjoying Mexican Independence Day with great food options!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220984 - 08/14/15 01:38 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I love cheese quesadillas. Am looking for zucchini recipes. The Sesame Almond Butter Zucchini Noodle Bowl isn't it. Anybody out there have a less involved zucchini recipe to share???

#220985 - 08/14/15 06:28 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber,

I love cheese quesadillas too. Do you do yours with just cheese and tortillas or do you like to incorporate extra goodies like onions and peppers, zucchini or diced chicken? I probably prefer the latter, but don't know if those 'babies' are technically still quesadillas.

As for zucchini, I don't make it a lot, as Steve is not a veggie fan. Mostly I've put grated zucchini into a quick bread, sort of like an alternative to bananas. Or I slice them thinly and cook them with salt and pepper in chicken broth, then serve 'em with a bit of grated cheese on top. Or if you want to "health up" a lasagna recipe, you can always layer in sliced summer squash.

I went online however, and found this collection of zucchini recipes at health.com
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220986 - 08/14/15 10:18 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Before I wrote the post above yours, I went online but every site I visited wanted me to sign in and yada,yada, yada. I ended up doing the zucchini like I do yellow summer squash. I cut them in relatively thin coins, coat them in pancake batter, and fry them in coconut oil. They turned out great. My neighbor gave me a huge zucchini; so I coined the ends and am going to cut the middle lengthways and layer both sides with tomato sauce and grated cheese. That should be good. Thanks health.com recipes.

As far as the quesadillas go, I've only ordered them in restaurants; never made them myself. But I love cheese and never order 'em with meat included.

#220988 - 08/19/15 07:37 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I made some fantastic chicken quesadillas last night, Jabber. The recipe came from one of my current favorite TV chefs, The Pioneer Woman. If you're not familiar with her, she has a show on HGTV, and she's also a blogger and active Oklahoma ranch wife with a husband and four kids at home.

Here's a link to the blog post where she introduced this recipe, last year. I had all the ingredients I needed in the house. I used 4 nice chicken breasts (1.5 pounds), but I only shredded two of them. And used that - and 4 whole grain tortillas - to make two large (8-9 inch diameter) quesadillas.

I also deviated from the recipe a bit. I am not too fond of hot sauce, so I left that out, as well as the jalapenos and I only sauteed onions and green peppers. Simpler, and all I had in the house.

I topped the tortillas with a generous dab of light sour cream and peach pineapple salsa.

Yum! Highly recommended.

We ended up splitting one, and being plenty full.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220991 - 08/21/15 01:24 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thanks Anne. This does look yummy. I eat more veggies and cheese than beef 'n poultry. But it looks good!

#220992 - 08/22/15 02:26 AM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I don't think a day goes by that I don't eat vegetables and cheese. Not necessary mixed into the same dish, however. My friends think I'm such a big cheese eater because I'm from Wisconsin... LOL!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220993 - 08/22/15 01:28 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

They say the first word I ever said is, "cheese"...

#220996 - 08/24/15 08:12 PM Re: Great recipes for Cinco de Mayo [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Amazing, Jabber! No one has said that about me, but I'm not sure I can go more than a day without eating some of the wonderful stuff!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved