The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220787 - 03/16/15 06:04 PM Battling "Boomeritis"
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
A week ago, I made a promise to myself, my kids, my husband and even my Dad. I swore I would keep this promise. And I did not.

The promise was that I would take myself back to the gym, and work to maintain flexibility and agility I gained in November and December, when I worked with a physical therapist -- and was spending an hour at the gym 3 times a week!

I actually have an 80 year old neighbor who bugged me about this for at least a month, and who even offered to DRIVE ME to the gym, then wait for me to work out and take me back home! I told her I have no trouble driving, and thanks, but I'd reserve that option for after I've had my knee surgery. So she's leaving me alone for now...

Meanwhile, today I saw an article about ageless athletes who are "battling boomeritis."

Sort of like weekend warriors, the article gave hints on how to safely warm up and properly exercise, noting that we Boomers are working out in gyms in record numbers, because we recognize the importance of activity in staying mentally and physically healthy.

SO: it's the second half of March, the snow is gone and today's temps here may hit 70. I have nothing to lose and a lot to gain my getting in a workout today.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220799 - 03/20/15 11:02 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Did you feel better overall when you were working out like that last yr. Anne?

I'm sure you'll get back to it. Do you work out at the gym on your own or do you need to do it with a group? Is there anything you can do that doesn't require you to be at the gym?

#220801 - 03/23/15 10:04 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Orchid,

Yes, DURING THE DAY I felt better overall when I was working out, BUT I had a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I'd wake up with terrible leg cramps. I tried a lot of things for this, and sometimes working out -- doing part of my exercise routine (yes, at 3-4 AM!) would get them to ease. Other times there was nothing that worked -- except if I "gave in" and took a hot bath in the middle of the night.

I started taking potassium, because I heard that might help. But the physical therapy schedule ended before I knew if it did or not.

I was working out with a physical therapist at the gym. They were treating me for lymphedema - something my orthopedic doctor thought was needed before he would do knee replacement surgery on me.

Yes there are floor exercises I can do here at home, but some of the main work, like the exercise bike and treadmill have to be done there.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220812 - 03/27/15 11:31 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Hope your surgery is successful and you sleep well.

I'm working on my sleep....I had a mild head injury when another cyclist crashed into me a few months ago. After being in bed resting my brain during the day, now I have to flip my sleep totally to night time.

I can attribute overall my recovery made easier, by being fit/healthy prior to the accident. I've taken physiotherapy sessions also. I cannot emphasize the value of being healthy and reducing as much as possible preventive diseases.

Edited by orchid (03/27/15 11:34 PM)

#220816 - 03/30/15 08:54 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

Wow Orchid!!

You said a "mild head injury," so I do hope you are
recovered and have no lingering effects. I know you wear a good helmet, which is crucial.

I also have experience with changing your sleep over from day to night or the reverse. Those who do that for their jobs know it can be very challenging. I hope you are winning the effort. But I suspect you are, as it seems to me that you are a very disciplined person.

I actually read an article recently that opined that changing over to daylight savings time actually impacts us for about 3 months. Do you also have this time change in Canada?

You're so correct that being in good physical condition aids healing. That is why my doc wants me to get into better shape before he does the surgery.

Meanwhile, here's to good sleep for all!

Anne

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220833 - 04/12/15 09:35 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Thx for the good wishes, Anne. I'm only disciplined when I realize I don't have a choice in order to make things better. smile Otherwise I'm messy and lazy. smile

Sure, we're affected by daylight savings time in Canada also.

I'm sure you'll get there in terms of better health long-term ..'cause you did a long time ago did biked and enjoyed it at the time. I'm not saying you will do this, but already in your history you are already familiar with exercise with some self-motivation. A good thing!

I wrote this blog post on finding a sport that matches your personality. It helps for long term motivation. Sure, it takes awhile for many of us to find exercise/sports that we enjoy doing ourselves without someone reminding us to do it.

Edited by orchid (04/12/15 09:37 PM)

#220834 - 04/14/15 05:48 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

Thanks for the good wishes and observations, Orchid. You're so on target. I believe for me, it is absolutely imperative to find a sport/exercise we enjoy. Otherwise it's just not sustainable.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221100 - 12/13/15 08:27 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

How's it going, Anne on the exercise front?

#221102 - 12/14/15 08:14 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

I am exercising regularly, Orchid, thanks for thinking about me and my knees.

But the time has come for me to schedule the first of my two knee replacements. I am scheduled for surgery on January 11th. So if you find that I'm out of touch for a bit, please don't think I have abandoned the forum...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221192 - 05/16/16 01:42 PM Re: Battling "Boomeritis" [Re: Anne Holmes]
allaboutwellness Offline

A friend of mine who owns a gym was telling me that there is a woman who works out there. She joined the gym when she was in her 80s and is now 93. She looks amazing. Age is just a number.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved