The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 77 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220481 - 10/01/14 09:18 PM With a little help from our friends
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Whenever I hear that phrase, "with a little help from our friends," I think of my teenage years, and the iconic Beatles song. But the fact is, I don't think we relied on our friends back then the way we have come to do now.

Many of us, looking forward to a time of widowhood or late-life singlehood, are looking to our friends, rather than to institutions or agencies, for help. (Heck, we don't even have to be single to do this. Steve and I have friends who are helping us daily, even now!)

As an example, right now, one of our friends has volunteered to go do grocery shopping for me every week, because he realizes that my knees have become very stiff, and until I've had surgery to replace both of them (not to mention during my post-surgery recovery times) this is something that wears me out, yet is a relatively easy thing (from his point of view) that he can do to help me.

I thought of this today, as I read the attached article from the Utne Reader about a new book, With a Little Help From Our Friends (Vanderbilt University Press, 2014), by journalist and author Beth Baker.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220483 - 10/03/14 03:09 AM Re: With a little help from our friends [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think we Boomers are changing the paradigm for lots of things. Good!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220565 - 11/10/14 12:26 AM Re: With a little help from our friends [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It's great to that friends help out....when they are around.

#220583 - 11/14/14 05:17 PM Re: With a little help from our friends [Re: orchid]
ScorpGal Offline

During past years, raising my children, catering to my husband, and treading water in my career, my energy was all taken. I had friends, but they came fourth in my life. Now my kids are grown, my husband is dead, and my career is over, so I am finding friends are a great source of getting outside myself. I spend a lot of time on the computer and find there is someone somewhere awake to relate to... or at least forums that I can read and reply to. We are very fortunate to have learned to use the information highway...

#220585 - 11/15/14 11:10 PM Re: With a little help from our friends [Re: ScorpGal]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
ScorpGal,
First, does "scorp" stand for the 8th sign of the zodiac? Or what? Second, what's your passion? Take up painting or writing or sewing or mentoring some young person who needs a friend.
Your career was in what field of expertise? Perhaps you could pursue a hobby there. Don't know. But hope you find happiness in some sweet endeavor. I agree about the information highway. I love the computer. It's like having a library at your fingertips.

#220608 - 11/22/14 01:33 PM Re: With a little help from our friends [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hey ScorpGal, where'd you go lady???

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved