The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220099 - 05/04/14 10:14 PM How do you feel about living with roomies?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I know we've talked about "co-housing" in the past. But I was recently asked my opinion on this article from the LA Times about single Boomers sharing a home.

It seems to be the consensus of people who analyze the lifestyles of those of us who are single and 50+, that taking in a roommate can make sense -- from both a financial and mental/emotional health point of view.

Here's a link to the LinkedIn discussion I've been a part of.

I have to say, the ladies who share a home on the show "Hot in Cleveland," seem to make this work. But of course, that's a silly fiction.

What do you think? Could you home share if you found yourself without a partner? Would you?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220100 - 05/04/14 10:54 PM Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
For financial survival, perhaps I would find it ok, but not totally thrilled..but as mentioned in the other thread in boomerwomenspeak here, I really would need my own tiny apartment or area, but would be willing to share food, heating expenses...and a cleaning person for common areas. I would want to do my own cooking. This is one area where I can see some very specific preferences and it would be hard to reach a compromise because of divergent palates, tastes and health/medical conditions.

As for psychological support/reasons, no. I have lived single for chunks of my life. This is why it's so important I live near services, shops...not way out in the 'burbs where it's more isolating and hard to get to local events, etc.

So it's probably easiest to live with siblings who we can get mad at each other (for being messy) but make amends later. This is how it works in my own family. But that's not true with roomies/friends. It's not the same.

#220101 - 05/04/14 11:40 PM Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I've never lived with anyone but family (siblings) and husband. Not sure......It'd have to be a really great friend.

#220102 - 05/04/14 11:54 PM Re: How do you feel about living with roomies? [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Sharing a home sounds like a great idea, both for companionship and financial buttressing.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved