I was foraging through the kitchen last night, looking for something fun to make for supper. Suddenly I realized that with a few exceptions, I had the ingredients for a strata that I'd seen featured in this week's Sunday Parade Magazine -- except that I didn't have the time required, since the recipe called for letting the unbaked dish sit overnight in the fridge. And I didn't have any chorizo, but I did have two leftover cooked brats

After looking at the recipe, I decided it was a lot like a bread pudding, and could probably be successful even without the overnight soak. So I gave it a try,using a half pan of leftover cornbread as the base.

Here is my revised recipe:
Quote:

Anne’s Corn Bread and Sausage Strata
Ingredients
• ½ pan cornbread, crumbled
• 2 cooked brats, thinly sliced, (or substitute Ύ cup sausage crumbles)
• 8 oz. cheese, grated (about 2 cups) (Select cheeses of your choice: I used a blend of Cheddar, Asiago and Monterey Jack)
• 1 cup frozen corn
• ½ cup diced green pepper
• 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
• 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, no salt added, including juice
• 4 large eggs
• salt and freshly ground pepper (or your favorite salt and pepper blend)
• (up to) 3/4 cup milk (see directions)
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. (350 degrees for glass pans.) Spray PAM into the baking pan.
2. Arrange half the corn bread crumbs in a 9-by-9-inch baking dish in an even layer. Scatter half the sausage on top, followed by half the cheese. Spoon half the corn and green pepper evenly across top. Repeat layers using remaining corn bread, sausage, cheese, corn and green pepper.
3. Beat eggs with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in the can of tomatoes and Ό cup milk. Carefully pour the liquid over the layered ingredients in 3 batches, letting liquid flood into bottom of baking dish between batches. If liquid does not come up to just below the surface of the dry contents, slowly add more milk to your dish until it does. Top with the scallions.
4. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. Let stand 20 minutes before serving.
5. NOTE: for a more Southwestern flavor, substitute chopped jalapenos or green chiles for the green pepper – or use both. Select diced Spanish style chorizo for the sausage and Monterey Jack for the cheese.
6. NOTE: You may assemble this dish the evening before serving. If you do, you will want to cover and refrigerate it in the interim. And you will need to let the dish stand, uncovered, for about 30 minutes before baking.
7. NOTE for ease of oven cleanup, you may want to bake this dish on a cookie sheet.
Kitchen Counter
Serves 4. Per serving: 580 cal, 52g carbs, 26g protein, 29g fat, 260mg chop, 1,190mg sodium, 3g fiber
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com