The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219923 - 02/04/14 09:13 PM Shortcut to Raising Yeast Dough and a recipe
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I love baking, especially yeast doughs. But with all the cold weather we've been having, my kitchen is not a warm place. So getting the dough raised has become a bit more of a challenge.

I used to set dough by our gas powered fireplace -- the pilot light would be enough to warm the dough. But that hasn't worked too well lately. And if I turned on the fireplace, it quickly became too hot.

But I just discovered a great trick courtesy of a new cooking blog I've just discovered called Iowa Girl Eats Here it is: place the pan of dough to be raised on a heating pad set to low.

So simple, so logical. How come I never thought of it?

By the way, her most recent recipe sounds yummy: Shortcut Caramel Cinnamon Rolls. She makes these with frozen bread dough, so there's no mixing or measuring the dough -- and she gets her caramel from little round caramel bits which don't have to be unwrapped, like caramel candies do. I'd never head of them before... Check out the recipe if that sounds good to you!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219924 - 02/05/14 09:16 PM Re: Shortcut to Raising Yeast Dough and a recipe [Re: Anne Holmes]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I like baking too, Anne. I don’t bake near as much as I use too, which was daily almost. I was always baking for someone. But I still make a variety of breads weekly for my husband and I that I put up in the freezer.

If I need more heat to help raise the dough, I turn my dryer on for a few minutes and then shut it off. I set my bowl of yeast dough or pan of cinnamon rolls in the dryer and close the door until it is done rising. Also, if I am drying clothes, I have set my yeast dough on top of my dryer. I use a sunny window too, but it hasn’t been too sunny lately. frown

I have used a heating pad when making yogurt before, but now I use my oven. I can keep it a constant temperature more easily after preheating the oven,using the oven light bulb.

#219926 - 02/06/14 03:58 AM Re: Shortcut to Raising Yeast Dough and a recipe [Re: Cookie]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Interesting, Cookie. I had never thought of the oven's light as a heat source. Silly me...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved