The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#219833 - 01/08/14 07:53 PM Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just read an article in which Robert DeNiro credits Boomers for saving his career: Because we still are willing to go to a movie theater to watch a movie!

I was a bit surprised by this because -- being generous in my estimation -- I don't think I've been to a movie theater more than 3 times in the last 8 years.

Oh, I see the movie commercials on TV. But I really dn't ever anticipate actually going to the movie theater to see them. do you?

Especially since the advent of the downloading services available via Netflix and Amazon. Not to mention movies shown on premium TV channels like Showtime, HBO. And, maybe best of all, the movie services offered by Direct TV.

Here's an article that talks more about what Netflix is up to.

The last movie I think I saw at the theater was probably the first Hobbit movie, which came out just over I year ago, as I recall.

But here in the Holmes household, we have "movie night" every Saturday night, and invite friends to come over for dinner and to watch a movie on our flat screen TV. We all take turns providing the dinners -- nothing too special. Just good, quick food. A magnificent dessert is imperative, by the way...

What about you? Are you the Boomer theater goers DeNiro's so thankful for?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219837 - 01/09/14 03:04 PM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
The only movies we go to see in the theater are Star Trek movies - just to get the big screen experience. Everything else we watch at home. Going to a movie has become too expensive for us; it's cheaper to watch on Amazon streaming, and if it's a movie we love, we watch for a deal on it at Costco - still cheaper than buying tickets.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#219838 - 01/09/14 03:57 PM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We never go to the movie theater anymore, though I would like to, especially for the Star Trek movies.

Hubby's deaf in both ears and finds it very difficult to hear properly in the theater, even with his top-of-the-line hearing aids. And I have to run to the bathroom at least once, sometimes twice, during a 2-3 hour movie, and that's too inconvenient for me. Add the increasing costs of going, we just prefer to stay home and wait for the DVD's to come out. As Yonuh says, it's almost always cheaper to buy the DVD than to pay for two movie tickets.

(I had to add that I detest when someone behind us kicks the back of my seat, or talks throughout the movie...both happen on a regular basis to both of us, which makes home so much more appealing! We love watching TV from the comfort of our reclining chairs, snuggled into warm blankets, with crunchy chips (not allowed in most theaters now) between us.)

Edited by Eagle Heart (01/09/14 03:59 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#219840 - 01/10/14 12:10 AM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The only time WB and I go to a movie theater is when we're on vacation. We've been a few times while in Kissimmee, Florida. Celebration City has a cool theater that we enjoy. But otherwise, no. We watch "Pay-Per-View" or DVD's. whistle

#219841 - 01/10/14 05:23 PM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
No longer! Way too many germs!!

#219847 - 01/11/14 05:00 PM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I never thought that the Internet revolution might threaten the Hollywood movie stars.

Um....we went to a movie 12 months ago 'cause I won a pair of movie theatre tickets. The movie was boomerish, starring Judy Dench who discovers herself in India after an unexpected divorce.

#219848 - 01/11/14 07:20 PM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Ahh, Orchid, you're talking about "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." We finally watched that, but at home. I guess we rented it from one of the places Steve uses to source movies to see at home.

I seem to recall that I thought it was entertaining, but not as good as all the hype had led met to think it would be. I do like Dame Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. Plus I think the young Indian hotel developer was playwed by Dev Patel, who made a name for himself with "Slumdog Millionaire."

So I'm curious what you thought about it. Maybe it is better on a bigger screen...

Anyway, enough people apparently liked it that they've decided to do a follow-up movie. I just read about that this morning. Here's the link that discusses the fact that Richard Gere has just signed on to be in the sequel.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219849 - 01/12/14 01:07 AM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
We have been to the movie theater approx. twice in almost 35 years. I know!! shocked In the very early years, money was tight and we couldn't afford to waste a single dime on things like that. After a while, Cable TV was introduced into our area and it was cheaper to have cable than go to the movies. Cable was ridiculously low in the beginning, plus we got all the movie channels without paying extra! cool

We don't have cable anymore, haven't for years. Now---we either rent movies or stream them in the comfort of our home. I can wear my jammies, pause the movie if I have to go to the bathroom, fix some popcorn, and back it up if I didn't hear what the actor said.

#219851 - 01/12/14 01:40 AM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
Ahh, Orchid, you're talking about "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel." We finally watched that, but at home. I guess we rented it from one of the places Steve uses to source movies to see at home.

I seem to recall that I thought it was entertaining, but not as good as all the hype had led met to think it would be. I do like Dame Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. Plus I think the young Indian hotel developer was playwed by Dev Patel, who made a name for himself with "Slumdog Millionaire."

So I'm curious what you thought about it. Maybe it is better on a bigger screen...

Anyway, enough people apparently liked it that they've decided to do a follow-up movie. I just read about that this morning. Here's the link that discusses the fact that Richard Gere has just signed on to be in the sequel.

It was a good movie but like you, I didn't find it an oh wow type of movie. Or maybe because we're boomers who already discovered ourselves. Wonder what the sequel would be like.

#219852 - 01/12/14 04:05 AM Re: Do You Still Go to Movies (in theTheater)? [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I enjoyed that movie immensely. I thought it said a lot about how we view different cultures and how they view us, as well as how people come to terms with their own mortality. Making amends; standing up for what you believe in; I could go on and on about what I saw as themes in this movie. I didn't see it as a 'discovering' oneself movie at all.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved