The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 166 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#218002 - 10/20/12 04:32 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: yonuh]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Thank you, yonuh, for your supportive words. I've never participated in any sort of forum before now and I have to say the shared experience is comforting somehow. Yes, their love is totally unconditional. I've often thought about how much I've learned from living with dogs. I had a dachshund named Zack for 17 years who was such a dear friend who taught me SO much. When he passed, I missed him as much as I miss Shadow, but he had such a long, full life and he had been sick for some time with heart problems. When he left us, I knew he was ready to go as he lay next to my bed and I told him what a good dog he was. It was extremely hard, but it seemed like the natural passage of life. But, when Shadow died, the sudden, unexpected nature of it caught me off guard emotionally. I was totally unprepared for it - like a 2 x 4 upside the head. Thankfully, we still have Smokey, our short-legged German Shepherd mix. He's a soulful dog and we have all helped each other through this. And, yes, we do still miss Zack after all these years. A statue of Zack greets us as we walk up the front stairs to our home.
And, by the way, I love your signature that "well-behaved women rarely make history" - how true!
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

#218005 - 10/21/12 02:18 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yes, there is a difference between knowing they are ailing and not going to live much longer and a sudden death. Our last two dogs died suddenly, one from a rare form of cancer that caused seizures, and the other from bleeding liver and spleen tumors. Both had a sudden onset of symptoms and were gone within two days. Our two cats were well into their 20s and told us when it was time to let them go. It's never easy no matter what the circumstances.

We currently have two dogs; Peanut, an 11-year-old Queensland Heeler and Spud, a 5-year-old Miniature Poodle. And dogs do grieve the loss of a companion dog. Peanut was depressed when Archie died, just as Archie was depressed when Merle died. Having a dog companion, I think, helps them get over it. Peanut perked up after Archie died when we brought home Spud. She treats him like her child - they are so funny! They are extremely bonded, and Peanut is very protective of Spud, even though she sometimes gets mad at him for stealing her toys!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218006 - 10/21/12 05:09 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

I am joining in late to this tribute...for all our pets who have left us...Hello Marsha and welcome.
I too have loved and lost family pets..and yes the grief swallows us up.
The memories which members have shared pays tribute to our companions...+

#218008 - 10/21/12 10:35 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Mountain Ash]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hello Mountain Ash and thanks for the welcome and the comments. You're right to call this a tribute. I didn't think of it that way when I first shared about Shadow, but with everyone's incredibly loving stories of how they felt when they lost a pet... it has become a tribute. Blessings to all who have gone through a similar grief.
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

#219188 - 07/09/13 03:47 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
Maverick Offline

My beloved Aussie has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma late stage. Amputation nor chemo will help; thus, I'm trying to keep him as comfortable as possible with pain medications. He is 13 and I adopted him 9.5 years ago. I love him so very much and find myself crying uncontrollably and periods of numbness. It becomes more difficult each day for him to walk. Yet, his eyes are bright and ears alert, especially for meals, beginning of a walk, and for treats. I love him so very much, as if he were my very own child, and he is my child. My precious beautiful baby.

#219191 - 07/09/13 11:05 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Maverick]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Awwwww, I'm so sorry about your precious sweet baby, maverick. It is so hard when our pets become ill, or get older. We love them so much because they give us so much. I have a 19 year old cat that I adore like crazy. I adopted him from the humane shelter when he was a kitten. I worry about the day.....

#219193 - 07/09/13 11:25 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Cookie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm deeply sorry Maverick. This kind of thing is hard beyond expression. I love dogs and am so heartbroken when their life span isn't long enough. God bless you Maverick!!! You're in my prayers.

#219194 - 07/10/13 12:34 AM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm so sorry Maverick! Just love him as long as you can.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#219211 - 07/14/13 01:02 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Someone sent me a notice that the French & US gov'ts are using puppies and kittens as shark & alligator bait. I'm trying to verify this before I blow my cool. I went into "causes" from Isabelle Blue's FB post and the picture they show there of a puppy with a claw hook in its upper lip, made me almost lose the contents in my stomach. Can anyone verify the validity of this report. If it is true, all of us should sign the petition against such barbarism. What has happened to human compassion?????

#219214 - 07/14/13 11:21 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Research indicates this is an old report and it has already
been deemed illegal by the courts. I cannot believe any human being would do what they did to those animals. If you want to get sick, look up that story and look at that poor puppy with the hooks in its nose. The person or people that did this horrible act, should be hung feet first in city square!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved