The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218407 - 01/05/13 02:35 PM Why...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Since this a thread about hints can somebody please tell why
some folks' can write manuscripts, then identify and correct their own errors, while another person is blind to self-made miscues???? And I know I can't be the only writer with this problem, because top-level publishing houses have a team of twenty people working on one book. What say U??? sick

#218409 - 01/06/13 06:25 PM Re: Why... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, I don't think writers are good at editing their own work. After all, writing coaches urge writers to stay in writing mode, and not go back and edit their work during the creative process.

The process of mentally switching to editing mode disrupts the creative process. If a writer starts editing during the writing process they're no longer CREATING.

As you say, publishing houses, even newspapers, have fact checkers and editors -- separate people from the authors -- and they wouldn't do that if there wasn't a good reason for it.

All of us, as writers, review our work periodically and make the corrections we see.

But it takes a different part of the brain to edit than it takes to write. So while a writer might see and correct a few errors in their own work, it really takes "fresh eyes" to see everything.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218410 - 01/06/13 07:19 PM Re: Why... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you. I've been looking at yonuh's blogs, etc. and she seems to be able to write without the same baggage I'm experiencing. The stuff I'm writing however is coming from the very core of my being and deeply traumatic upset. So perhaps I'm being too hard on myself. Don't know. Just wish I was better at the writing process than I am.

#218411 - 01/08/13 12:17 AM Re: Why... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I can wholeheartedly agree with what Anne says about the creative process. And it took doing NaNo to bring that home for me. I don't edit while I'm writing any more, because it does interrupt the flow.

Editing your own stuff is hard, but there are a couple of tricks I've learned along the way. The first one is time consuming, but read your work backwards, one word at a time. When you're reading front to back, you see what you expect to be there, whether it is or not. This method is great for spelling. Another trick is to read out loud, pause at every comma and see if it interrupts the flow of the work; if it does, then take it out. Reading out loud also lets you see how the work flows and will highlight awkward or choppy sentences.

I hope these tips will help, jabber.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218414 - 01/08/13 12:30 AM Re: Why... [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Thanks! I'll try them,yonuh!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved