The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218003 - 10/20/12 08:18 PM Women Boomers and Shared Housing
portland2636 Offline

Hi, I am wondering if anyone knows of shared housing websites for boomer women looking for shared housing for those pending retirement? I have an advanced degree with grown kids but having gone through a messy divorce, I no longer have adequate income ( nor do I want to) live alone. Looking for like minded individuals who are fit, like NPR, good food and meaningful friendships as we enter the third phase of our lives.

#218004 - 10/20/12 10:07 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: portland2636]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Portland2636 and welcome to our forum. Thanks for stopping by and asking a great question. I hope you will get a good discussion going here -- and that you will stick around and spend some time with us on a regular basis.

As I understand it, the concept of shared living for adults is sometimes known as "co-ho" -- sort for "Communal Home-ownership" -- and it operates similarly to the dynamic of that old TV show, "The Golden Girls."

Except that in that show, I think one housemate -- Blanche Devereaux -- owned the house, while the other three, Dorothy Zbornak, Sophia Petrillo, and Rose Nylund paid her rent.

In the newer "co-ho" concept, as I understand it, the home ownership is shared by non-related adults.

I first heard of this back in 2008 and at that time I wrote a post about it in my blog, "BoomerLifestyle.com.

I just checked this post to see if it could offer you any help, and I discovered that some of the links in it have gone bad. So I guess that means I need to update that post.

Meanwhile, I found a few websites for you.

If these are bigger concepts than you had in mind -- if all you really seek is to find a like-minded Boomer Woman to share a house with, your best bet might be to contact a local church, synagogue or other similar organization, to see if they know of any local programs that introduce and pair people as housemates. One non-secular source of help might be searching classified ads in your local newspaper or Craigslist.

Anyone else here in the BWS community have any suggestions?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218009 - 10/22/12 11:13 AM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Let us know how you fare, Portland. And Portland should be an area for you to find like-minded women.

2 women (sisters) told me 2 wks. ago that they liked the idea of co-housing. They said they hated cooking, etc. But I don't mind cooking and would hate the idea of doing the same task over and over for larger groups of people. (ie. over 3-4)

Honest, it's something I would only want to do with siblings.. since after all we all did look after a 2nd house that my parents rented out and we lived in. To look after stuff since parents were in different city.

I would be happy in a clean, new and warm tiny space with my own kitchen and bathroom even if the space was reduced alot.

#218047 - 10/29/12 06:09 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi Anne,
I'm a newbie to this forum: wanted to let you know I've added some info on shared housing resources in Portland, OR and nationwide as a response to Portland2636.

I've also included some contact info in case anyone would like to connect with me about shared housing. Lots of resources to share around the country!

Thanks for keeping this thread going. Such a needed topic!

Warmly,
Zoe

Lets Share Housing
Personal Assistant & Shared Housing Advocate
503-719-5444 PST

#218049 - 10/29/12 07:11 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Zoe, and welcome to the BWS forum. I'm delighted that you found us.

I'm not sure where you added the info on Portland, OR shared housing, I'm not seeing any links.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218050 - 10/29/12 07:18 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

HI Anne,

I sent Orchid the links to the Lets Share Housing Lets Share Housing website.
I have also included links in my signature.
If they are disabled, I am guessing they won't show?

Looking forward to contributing to the forums. Thanks for the welcome hello!

Zoe

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218051 - 10/29/12 07:22 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Zoe, No, those links show up. I just didn't know if that one link was the one you were mentioning that added info on Portland.

Delighted to have you here, and I just sent you an email.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218053 - 10/29/12 07:39 PM Re: Women Boomers and Shared Housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

Yes, Anne it was the links inside my post with the links to the shared housing website that I was referring to.

We're multi-tasking dialogues..! Thanks for the warm welcome.
Z

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved