The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217988 - 10/19/12 03:49 PM The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Two months ago our 7 year old little bundle of enthusiasm wrapped in the package of a shaggy haired small version of a black lab, suddenly became ill and before we could even get a diagnosis, Shadow was gone. We called him the "Perpetual Puppy" and it just didn't seem possible that it was his time to go. Our older dog, Smokey, who is almost 10, is still looking for him. So are we.
We buried him in the far corner of our back yard. I planted a special type of very sturdy pansy that will bloom most of the winter on his grave and put a lovely garden rabbit in the middle to keep him company. He loved rabbits.
Two months later I find it hard to write about and almost impossible to discuss with anyone without my eyes welling up.
Any thoughts or experiences to share?
Blessing to all,
Marsha
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

#217990 - 10/19/12 05:21 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Been there where you are many times. I still cry over lost ones.

#217992 - 10/19/12 06:38 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Marsha,

I still remember the night our black lab mix died, though it's 8 years ago now. She and I were out for a walk in the snow. She had been very frisky as she loved to play in snow. it was a cold night, and as I walked, she'd been jumping into big piles of snow. Her usual antics. Always fun to watch. When she did this she was like a puppy again, even though she was actually about 10.

When we were about a block from home, she sat down on the sidewalk and wouldn't move. After much urging on my part, I knew something was terribly wrong, and that I was either going to have to carry this 40 pound dog home -- or leave her alone in the cold and go get our old sled.

I tried the carrying thing, but she was totally ungainly. So since I could see the house from where we were, I told her to be a good dog while I went to get help.

I ran home for the sled and a blanket, wrapped her up in it and pulled the sled home. I couldn't carry her up the front steps, so I got my husband to pull the sled up the stairs, while I stayed alongside her, steadying her on the sled. (My husband wears leg braces and this was the most he was physically able to do.)

Once in the house, I carried her into our bedroom,and made a nest for her by the sliding glass door -- one of her favorite places to "hang out" due to its good visibility of the neighborhood. I brought her water as well.

She lasted another 24 hours. By the next evening, when she has refused to eat or move, I realized she needed to go to the vet. We took her to the vet in town that was open 24/7, not our usual vet. I got help from a neighbor to get her into the car, and I believe she died in the car on the way to the vet.

The vet told me something had happened to the sac that surrounds her heart. I don't understand the details, but I am guessing it was something like a heart attack brought on by doing something she loved -- cavorting in the snow...

Losing Lucky was as awful as losing a child or a parent, and as she had been my shadow companion for at least five years, I was so distraught.

All I can tell you, Marsha, is that I share your pain, and it will ease with the passage of time, though you will not ever forget Shadow.

Blessings to you and your family. Write us here if you need to talk more about this.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217993 - 10/19/12 08:29 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Anne Holmes]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Anne, thank you for sharing such a poignant story. I could picture your entire ordeal and related so much to the sudden loss of Lucky.

We had taken Shadow to the vet about a week before he died because we could tell he wasn't feeling himself. They did some blood work and thought he had some sort of autoimmune disease that was destroying his red blood cells. But, it could also have been a tick-born infection. So, they put him on antibiotics as well as steroids. He improved immediately and we were very encouraged. Then, he suddenly took a turn for the worse the following Thursday and we were getting dressed to take him to the vet first thing Friday morning, but he was gone before we could even get out the door.

Yes, losing Shadow was exactly like losing a family member, because he was and is family in every sense of the word. I cried for a solid week until I could finally get control of my emotions. But, I still miss him so much - every single day. Like you, he was my constant companion. Since I've always had my office in my home, he was a part of everything I did throughout the day.

And, Anne, he was such a clown! Honestly, he was our comic relief. He had this goofy grin and such a sense of humor. I've had some great dogs in my life - still have one: Smokey. But, Shadow was the sweetest, funniest dog I've ever know. He was downright silly. I am blessed to have had him in my life, which is what I have to remember.

Thanks for sharing and for opening the door for me to share. I think it's time for me to deal with this.

May dog angels be with you this day!
Marsha

#217994 - 10/19/12 09:54 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My last dog, though a female, was also named Shadow. She was a lab mix and such a love. She lived to be age 14, got cancer, and I had to put her down, for she was suffering and I couldn't take that any longer. I held her in my arms until they ended her life. I'll always love Shadow. We have 2 dogs now. A Goldendoddle that's perfect; and a Corgi we inherited, also perfect. I love dogs and think about each one we've owned over the years: The toy poodle named Cherrie; standard poodles, Nicki, Pepper, and Buddy; an Irish setter named Casey. My heart feels for you, Marsha. Like Di, been there. Done that. And it's like having your breath knocked out! My Shadow was sweet, loving, and so well behaved. When I die, I want to go to DOGGY HEAVEN!

#217995 - 10/20/12 02:00 AM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks for the stories of your dogs, Di, Marsha and Jabber. It sounds like we each have had similar experiences.

Marsha, I have worked from home since right after 9/11. Prior to that, Lucky actually used to come to the office with me. She'd spend most of the day lying in the floor in my office but she would often go out to the front office to greet guests.

When I would go to the post office or the bank, she would ride along in the car. And of course, the bank tellers all looked for her and gave her a dog biscuit.

She didn't always come to the office with me. She'd originally been my son's dog, and she stayed home when we all left for work and school. But there came a time when she had to have surgery, and the vet released her to the house after time spend at his office in recovery. But he told me she could not stay alone -- she had to be under observation.

I had to be at the office, that afternoon, so I brought her in and kept her there for a couple of days. Then after her stitches were removed and she was deemed "healed," I again left her at home in the morning.

We returned home that night, to find she had become agitated and had dug a hole in the carpet. She'd never done this before, but the hole digging continued, and the weather was not such that we could leave her outdoors all day long.

So with what might be termed "passive aggression" she won the right to "hang out" at the office. Everyone loved her, and she was very well-mannered.

I hear that in New York City there are now many restaurants where dogs are welcomed. But back then, this was not done. When Steve and I went out to dinner, we would of course, leave her at home, and generally we provide her with a dog treat for good behavior when we returned.

Oh, I could go on sharing funny Lucky stories all night. But guess I'll stop for now.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217996 - 10/20/12 02:18 AM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: jabber]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Thanks Jabber & Di for sharing. You are right, Jabber, it is exactly like having your breath knocked out of you. And then you try every day to get your breath back. The strangest thing happened after Shadow died. Two days later, a dog that looked so much like Shadow that it made our hearts jump appeared across the street. Our older dog Smokey sat on the front porch, fixated with this puppy who acted and looked so much like his dear companion. We had moved recently and didn't know the neighbors - so after a few days, I went over and introduced myself & asked the woman where she got her dog. She told me that a co-worker had been suddenly transferred and couldn't take the puppy he had just adopted, so she agreed to take her: Stella. We have watched Stella every day, jumping, digging, peeking around the tree to spy at us! She is growing bigger than Shadow ever was, but her body language is SO much like Shadow! When I told my sisters about this phenom, they both asked me if this was painful. I told them - No! It's not painful, it's beautiful! I love seeing the doggie-energy of the lovely Stella! In the midst of trying to get over the loss of Shadow, seeing the puppy Stella has actually been a part of the healing process. Dog - it's not surprising that it is God spelled backwards.
Thanks again for sharing and have a blessed weekend,
Marsha

#217999 - 10/20/12 01:29 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Love this story about Stella, Marsha. Our God is an awesome God!!!

#218000 - 10/20/12 01:59 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: jabber]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Yes, our God IS an awesome God, jabber! I'm not one who believes in coincidences and so I have to believe that Stella was placed across the street from us at that exact time on purpose. When we look around, there are so many reasons to feel loved! AND blessed!

#218001 - 10/20/12 03:19 PM Re: The sudden loss of my beloved dog, Shadow [Re: Marsha Roberts]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Your story brought tears to me eyes, Marsha, as it reminded me of all our furry babies who have gone over the Rainbow Bridge. If dogs and cats have one fault, it's that they don't live long enough, but while they are here, their love is totally unconditional. I don't understand people who have a dog and leave him/her out in the backyard day and night. Our dogs (and cats when we had them) are part of the family and we still grieve for those who are no longer with us. They cheer us up when we need it, and always make us laugh with their antics. :-)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved