The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217522 - 07/10/12 06:11 PM We need Self Care too!
Jan Masters Offline

Loc: South Florida
I cared for my Mom until she passed 15 months ago. And I am still caring for my Dad who lives in an ALF nearby me. I learned the hard way that my Sacred Self Care had to come first of I would swirl down the drain.
Much as I love and care for him, I must set aside time and practices that keep me strong and healthy.
I teach a Sacred Self Care class, that's how important I have come to view this issue!
I know it's hard to carve out time for ourselves but it's essential. I had surgery in November..and I'll never know if it could have been avoided if I had taken better care of ME during Mom's illness.

I am passionate about this Sacred Self Care issue. I hope you are too!

SPARKLE ON!

Jan **::**
www.facebook.com/everydayjoycoaching
www.twitter.com/janmasters

#217608 - 07/23/12 06:56 PM Re: We need Self Care too! [Re: Jan Masters]
maryannewrites Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I could never have related to this until recently. You are so, so right that you have to find a way to recharge your batteries, or burn out easily sets in. The last thing we want to do is become impatient and resentful directly to the person for whom we are caring. I keep reminding myself to consider how I would feel if I were in that loved one's shoes and transitioned from a strong, independent individual to one who can't function without assistance. We can only hope and pray that when we reach that stage of life, there is a kind and gracious loved one who will be patient and understanding with us--even if we are placing more demands on them than they ever imagined possible! I'm thankful for our time together--however long that may be, but I will take some ME time to recharge. It's the only way we can best benefit them and keep our sanity.

#219247 - 07/20/13 07:46 PM Re: We need Self Care too! [Re: maryannewrites]
Laura Castillo Offline

Loc: California
I can totally relate to this topic. My mother had a stroke and Dementia and I left my job to care for her until she finally passed away a year later.

I remember so well the feelings of stress and overwork.My heart goes out to all caregivers who take care of a parent or loved one. I've done it twice now and it's the hardest job I've ever done.

A social worker told me that taking care of myself would be a blessing to pass onto someone else.

Just wanted to share.
www.lauracastillo.nerium.com
lauracastillo6043@yahoo.com

#219249 - 07/20/13 10:02 PM Re: We need Self Care too! [Re: Laura Castillo]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks for adding your thoughts Laura, and welcome to the BWS forum. We hope to see a lot of you around here. IMHO, we're a great group of women.

And the topic of making sure we take care of ourselves as we serve as caregivers is a huge one. Those who haven't done it have no idea what's involved.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved