The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217058 - 04/23/12 08:07 PM "Charlotte's Web" and other good books
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just heard that it's been 60 years since E. B. White published Charlotte's Web.

Hard to believe that children's classic, which my 3rd grade teacher, Miss Rudolph, read aloud to us during our daily "rest period" is that old.

I just may have to get the book at my local library and read it again.

It, and a mystery series by Gertrude Chandler Warner called "The Boxcar Children" were among my favorite reads at this time. I think I liked them better than The Bobbsey Twins or Nancy Drew.

There was another series also initially published at least 60 years ago that I also enjoyed back then, though none of my friends seemed to know if them - so they we sort of a "secret" or "guilty pleasure" for me back then.

These were stories about a "poor little rich girl" named Maida Westabrook. All these books were titled "Maida's Little (Something)." I know for sure there was "Maida's Little Shop," "Maida's Little House," etc.

I only knew of them because the books I read had been my mother's - probably published in the late 30s or early 40s. In the 60s I found the musty old books stacked in a corner of my grandmother's basement - and started devouring them.

In addition to enjoying the stories, I learned a lot of new words this way. Words that were used frequently in the books, but are no longer used that much today. Like "financier," which is what Maida's father was said to be, "valise," and "roadster." Maybe even "lap robe."

The main character of these stories, Maida Westabrook, was the only child of "Buffalo" Westabrook a millionaire in the style of Little Orphan Annie's famous Daddy Warbucks. "Buffalo" was extremely benevolent and generous, but not too often present as I recall. Seems he was off doing business, but found people to "appear" in Maida's life in order to help her.

And she needed help. As I recall, Maida was lame as a result of an unnamed illness, (polio?) and she needed to find something to occupy her time, since she couldn't play or go to school.

So "Buffalo" buys her a cute little shop (in Boston?) that catches her interest. He sets her up there to run it, and hires someone to cook and look after her. Soon she meets other young people from the neighborhood, with whom she makes friends.

By the end of the book, she realizes that she HAS learned math skills and other things she would have learned in school, as a result of running the shop. And she has a tight group of friends who have kept her entertained and occupied.

Eventually she and the friends go on to have other amazing adventures in a number of other books on the same theme.

I wish I still had these original books. I believe they were written by an author named Inez Haynes Irwin, and according to Amazon, it looks like they have recently been re-released. I wonder if the new versions of the books have been upgraded to reflect current times, as was done with the Bobbsey Twins books. (I mean, back then, there were no TVs, no Internet, no cell phones. Kids reading the books today would think they
are a reflection of ancient history.)

Does anyone else remember reading these books?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217095 - 04/29/12 08:19 PM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Guess no else one wants to admit to reading Nancy Drew mysteries, etc., as a girl.

From 4th grade on, I was such a voracious reader my dad used to kid me that I had read every book in my well-stocked grade school library. Not true, but I did probably read at least a third of the books in their supply!

I'm sure I should have spent more time on physical activity...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217098 - 04/29/12 10:45 PM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I remember reading all of those books...I too was a voracious reader and my parents couldn't keep up with my insatiable passion for reading. I remember the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys as well as anything else we could bring home from the library. Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, all the fairy tales, etc, etc. I was in my twenties when I discovered The Narnia Chronicles and Anne of Green Gables - I would have enjoyed those as a child as well, but STILL never tire of reading Narnia. I still have a lot of my childhood books, though did pass along all the series books to nieces.

Does anyone remember the Rupert books? I still have two of those from my early childhood years. And anything and everything by Madeleine L'Engle (though didn't discover her until my twenties either).

Fun memories. I used to love getting lost in those books.

(Maya Angelou)

#217104 - 04/29/12 11:05 PM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Eagle Heart]
Boomer in Chief

Wow, Eagle Heart, you bring back some fond memories.

I didn't discover Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" until I was probably in my 40's. But I loved the book, and checking her website, I see THAT book is celebrating an anniversary, too: 50 years since she wrote it.

Since my discovery of her books, I have also read "A Swiftly Titling Planet," and "A Wind at the Door," but there are so many others she wrote that I have yet to devour.

I'm also a huge fan of C.S. Lewis's Narnia books.

Thanks for reminding us of the works of these great authors.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217107 - 04/30/12 02:13 AM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
It's funny that I've been a fan of Madeleine L'Engle for over 30 years, and have gone so far as to special-order some of her hard-to-find books...I even received a letter from her once, though can't remember where it is now...and yet there are still books listed on that website that I'd never heard of before. Now I'll have to make a trip to Amazon to see if they're still in print. Thanks for that link, Anne!

(Maya Angelou)

#217116 - 05/03/12 11:55 PM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Eagle Heart]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I do remember reading a series of books about Cherry (or was it Cheryl) Ames starting when she was a student nurse. I also read every Reader's Digest Condensed Books volume that came into the house - my Dad had a subscription. I then went on to read many of the classics like War and Peace and Quo Vadis before I was in High School. I really don't remember reading children's books. I read Tolkien and C.S.Lewis in my early 20s along with some of the 'existential' type books like Thus Spake Zarathustra and a few others. Some of those classics I now have on my Kindle, and I'm in the middle of re-reading Little Women for the umpteenth time. I read the Lord of the Rings again every year and the Narnia books. I now have Tolkien on my Kindle, too, but not the Narnia books. When I'm broke, I look for the classics on Amazon as they're free, so now I have quite a collection. I was pleasantly surprised to find Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass for Kindle, and free.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#217117 - 05/04/12 12:35 AM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: yonuh]
Boomer in Chief

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised to find Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass for Kindle, and free.

Speaking of the joy of reading a free book, of course there is always the public library. But if I haven't mentioned it before, there is now a website that sends me a weekly list of free Kindle ebooks.

Check it out. They send me a weekly update of what is free, and I think that is really cool.

By the way, I remember reading about Cherry Ames, too. She made me want to be a nurse. Changed my mind later on, but I did enjoy those books when I was growing up. Thanks for reminding me about them!

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217133 - 05/05/12 01:59 AM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

I have a problem with borrowing books from the library because I can't remember when they are due back! And besides, I like to keep my books - can't bear to part with them once I have them! That's why I love my Kindle; I can access my 'library' any time, anywhere I have Internet. I can read my books on my phone - didn't think I would like that, but it's surprisingly easy-to-read on my Android phone - and pick up where I left off from the Kindle (or on the Kindle from my phone). And I don't have to carry books with me wherever I go.

#217134 - 05/05/12 02:00 AM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: yonuh]
yonuh Offline

And sorry to hear about your Mom - that thread won't let me reply.

#217135 - 05/05/12 07:00 PM Re: "Charlotte's Web" and other good books [Re: yonuh]
Boomer in Chief

I understand about the books, Yonuh. I have quite a collection, too. Have been meaning to donate some to the local public library, but they told me I need to list them, so I can take a tax donation. And listing them is something I just can't seem to get around to. (Hmmm: maybe I can just scan the covers with my phone...)

And thanks for the condolences on my Mom. I know the thread is messed up. I tried to edit different threads together and the whole thing just became all tangled up.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved