The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216551 - 03/01/12 08:24 PM Is Orwell's "Big Brother" 2 B A "Smart Toilet?"
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just read an incredible medical science article and I am sharing it here with you...

But fair warning, I wasn't totally sure whether or not I ought to post this article under "Health" or under "Humor" ... as I am sure there will be a lot of comics making jokes about one of the new age medical devices I just read about...

Apparently a Japanese company has just developed a "smart toilet" that can analyze the "content" it receives, then share this information with your doctor and even with your health insurer via email.

Not to mention that it can also trigger an automatic email to you -- telling you that - based on the results - your health insurance has just gone up. Or down...

The implications of this invention are huge: The developer says that on receipt of the toilet's email message, your doctor would now be able to evaluate online how you are doing, and track if you are following their advice and/or taking your prescriptions.

The diagnosis and subsequent recovery data is valuable for responsible patients, but the essence lies in health insurers capturing and tracking this data, as they can now do with car drivers.

You've no doubt seen the Progressive auto insurance commercial (they're the company with Flo as spokeswoman) that promotes their "Snapshot" dohickey that installs in your car and then tracks your driving habits in real time and reports them back to the insurance company. But I'm told that Allstate and State Farm also offer the same sort of monitoring.

And just as prudent drivers are rewarded with lower car insurance, apparently the concept with the smart toilet's advisories is that people who are proven-to-be-healthy/following doctor's orders could pay less for their health coverage.

But the concept seems very privacy invasive to me. And, of course, unless some sort of DNA monitoring is involved, I am not sure how the toilet absolutely "knows" who's providing the specimens...

I wonder how long until this monitoring becomes mainstream... 20 years? What do you think?

By the way, the article discusses a few other medical advances, but this was the one that captured my attention.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216579 - 03/04/12 02:50 AM Re: Is Orwell's "Big Brother" 2 B A "Smart Toilet?" [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Hmm, no one else wants to share their opinions on the "smart toilet" that can analyze our urine and can also send into on our weight, BMI, blood pressure, blood sugar to us, our docs and our health insurers?

I felt sure I would not be the only one who found this not only amazingly cool but also quite scarey. Oh, brave new world...soon there will be absolutely nothing that is private or sacred!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216583 - 03/04/12 03:36 AM Re: Is Orwell's "Big Brother" 2 B A "Smart Toilet?" [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Sorry, Anne, I haven't had time to read the article!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#216593 - 03/04/12 08:27 PM Re: Is Orwell's "Big Brother" 2 B A "Smart Toilet?" [Re: yonuh]
Boomer in Chief

No problem, Yonuh, I don't think the Japanese company that makes these toilets is going to be contracting with the Home Depots and plumbing supply stores of the US in the next few months. But I do think that the article raises questions about just how far we want technology to invade our lives...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216594 - 03/04/12 08:54 PM Re: Is Orwell's "Big Brother" 2 B A "Smart Toilet?" [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think there are some people who are so entranced with technology, they will buy whatever the new next best thing is. I have to admit, technology does intrigue me, and I wish I had the money to indulge my fascination. But I just have to make do with my E-reader and my smartphone. ::sigh::
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved