The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216171 - 01/17/12 07:58 PM TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I was surprised to catch a segment of the NBC Today show this morning in which Food Network Chef Paula Deen talked about her personal diagnosis with Type 2 diabetes.

I had not heard the rumors about this, though I've now read that they've been circulating on the web for a couple of years now.

In the segment above, she talks about how she decided to keep the diagnosis quiet when she first received it, because she had nothing helpful to say about it.

No doubt because she also didn't know how word of the diagnosis would impact her cooking empire!

I can understand this. I know that when I was first diagnosed, a few years ago, I was in shock - and denial. I definitely wondered how this could have happened to me.

Actually, I was about to head off on a cruise the week I was diagnosed, and I freaked out - convinced that there would be nothing safe for me to eat on the ship. Thankfully I was able to speak with a dietician right away, who educated me on what foods I could eat -- which definitely calmed those fears.

These days I manage my disease primarily with proper diet and exercise. Oh, I do take a pill daily -- but so far I have no need for insulin.

For me, the diagnosis was the culmination of a whole constellation of health challenges - lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and eating too many sweets.

I've made more changes to my sleep and exercise habits than I have made changes to my diet. Though I have to admit that I ate a lot of sugary treats for the energy they provided, since I was so tired. So now that I get enough sleep, I have lost my craving for candy. I'm amazed that I can now drive for hours without becoming drowsy. I used to stock the car with licorice and hard candies - just to keep me awake!

Anyone else have Type 2 diabetes experience you'd like to share? Especially stories about diagnosis as a mature adult? Please share them here!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216183 - 01/18/12 03:30 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Saw this on the nightly news. I love all those sweets and buttery goodies, so I understand how people can be in denial about having diabetes. Prayers go out to everybody with this issue.

#216200 - 01/20/12 03:31 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

I have a good friend who was diagnosed with diabetes many years ago. Fortunately, he is among the people who take the diagnosis seriously. He lost about 30 pounds, tracks his blood sugars, and avoids the gooey sweet stuff absolutely. I have seen been with him at plenty of potlucks; he makes dessert out of the fruit and nothing else. I really admire the fact that he has learned how to live a full but controlled life. (I mean, don't we all have to control ourselves to enjoy good health?)

I have to say I'm really disappointed in Paula Deen's defensiveness about her own diabetes, and I really like her. I realize that she has had to give it all some thought because she's not famous for being a mystery writer or a financial whiz; she's a cook. BUT a lot of the stuff she cooks isn't even suitable as an occasional treat. It's not moderation when everything is loaded with butter and sugar. She says you can have a piece of cake, not a whole cake, which is true. BUT a piece of cake is not a huge wedge; it's a sliver. I honestly think a lot of people have no idea what moderation is. Is it once a week? Once a day? Once a month? She's certainly not the only one pushing things we should avoid except for special occasions, of course. I do know how easy it is to decide that just this once won't hurt, and then it becomes a habit.

The weird thing is that she's so popular that she could have become the Cooking Queen of Diabetes. After all, that style of eating works for just about anyone. I agree with her that we are all responsible for ourselves, but in her case, I think the responsible thing to do is not what she does.

Anne, I find it really interesting that taking better care of yourself in general has been a bigger help than anything else. You and my friend are great testimonies that we're not helpless and that we can do a lot to help outselves. As I'm getting older I'm trying to keep up with exercising so I don't fall apart and keep my energy levels up. And I'm definitely trying to up my vegetables and decrease my portions.

#216201 - 01/20/12 04:10 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
For me, the diagnosis was the culmination of a whole constellation of health challenges - lack of sleep, lack of exercise, and eating too many sweets.

Oops, I forgot one other big health challenge: stress! I had too much stress in my life, as many of us do - especially when we are young and trying to work and raise a family at the same time!

I changed my work habits and take steps daily to relax. I believe that has been a huge help.

Thanks for the comments and stories on this health topic which is so important. I'd love to hear more thoughts on this -- I'm sure we all have something to say...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216210 - 01/21/12 03:06 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I've seen the harm Diabetes does if not taken seriously. Don't like to get negative, but I have two very dear friends and 1 MIL currently in the arms of The Lord because they didn't change what they ate or daily exercise routines after being diagnosed with Diabetes. 1 lady would sit and eat an entire box of chocolates in a workday, while already weighing well over two hundred pounds. And this gal was intelligent and as nice as anyone I've ever met. She even went blind from this illness. I could be addicted to chocolates, if I allowed that to happen. I love sweets. But I exercise and don't eat between meals. I think that helps. For those of you who have this health problem, please take it seriously. It will kill you if not properly addressed! Don't know how to make this post sound light'n fluffy???

#216214 - 01/22/12 12:44 AM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Your friend died, jabber. So no point making any health warning post "light-hearted".

You don't have to be overweight to be a diabetes 2 candidate. I was close to being one...I initially had a false reading 3 yrs. ago. Got retested which was ok.

But nevertheless that scared me. So cut back on white rice and white bread. In fact, I have only eaten rice 3-4 times ANNUALLY. A big change from nearly every dinner when I grew up onward.

When I eat too much white rice, I feel like a sugar crash...very tired and not well. So that means less sushi and sashimi. frown These foods are high glycemic-- to me. My pancreas cannot naturally produce enough insulin for sudden sugar spikes.

I do still have desserts. But have noticed now that white wine, causes seame reaction in me. So I must eat/drink leess of this stuff.

To countgeract diabetes 2 is exercise, diet. So another reason for me to keep on cycling. smile

Edited by orchid (01/22/12 12:45 AM)

#216215 - 01/22/12 12:47 AM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: orchid]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Actually I think Paula Dean is being a bit of a cop-out..she waited 2 yrs. after her diagnosis, to come forward to tell her story...but not until she was paid to deliver a canned message to the world.

Honest with TV stardom it would be better to act with self-accounability to her fans.

My youngest sister, a doctor, who is 43 yrs., discovered several years ago, she was verging on diabetes 2. So she went on a diet and lost 50 lbs., also did jogging. Then she had 2 children which since then, it's been a struggle to manage her weight. During her pregnancy she did have to eat to avoid gestational diabetes.

Edited by orchid (01/22/12 12:50 AM)

#216218 - 01/22/12 02:23 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

I know a person doesn't have to be overweight to have Diabetes; my MIL was petite and slender. I kept forgetting she had this problem. The Chinese are so slim and yet isn't rice a staple in China? Go figure! Actually all three people I mention in the above post died. Diabetes is a nasty disease.

#216221 - 01/23/12 02:36 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Okay orchid! Putting happy face on entering the next life!!!
"After near-death experience, boy says "Heaven is Real": Sorry Anne, couldn't get the link to link.

Colton Burpo got a stomach ache, went to the hospital, and was diagnosed with the flu. Two days later he was operated on. His appendix had ruptured five days before. Short version, the boy died, went to Heaven, came back and told of things he wouldn't have known had he not been telling the truth!

#216222 - 01/23/12 03:13 PM Re: TV Chef Paula Deen Discusses Her Type 2 Diabetes [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Originally Posted By: jabber
I know a person doesn't have to be overweight to have Diabetes; my MIL was petite and slender. I kept forgetting she had this problem. The Chinese are so slim and yet isn't rice a staple in China? Go figure! Actually all three people I mention in the above post died. Diabetes is a nasty disease.

Yes, rice is a staple in China; so are noodles. BUT so far -- and China is changing and getting heavier as well -- they do not eat rice and potatoes and pasta and hamburgers and chips and sweets all the time.

A diet that is heavy on vegetables, small amouts of meat and rice or noodles IS eating in balance and moderation. I think we just eat everything, and eventually develop tastes for way too much food and too many of the wrong kinds of food. Plus, we don't exercise regularly, making what do already do even worse.

A sobering thought: they are estimating that of babies born today, 1 of every every 3 will develop diabetes. That's an awful lot of people. We need to decide that taking care of ourselves is not some sort of punishment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved