The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#215945 - 12/28/11 10:11 PM Re: Cost of Raising a Child in 2011 - Up Again [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Has such a good education paid off for your kids Anne?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#215948 - 12/29/11 01:06 AM Re: Cost of Raising a Child in 2011 - Up Again [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
While I understand it's a choice for parents to cover their child's university tuition...I disagree. Child should pay for part of their education/accommodation living away from home.

To answer Chatty's question:

There's no guarantee that a college/university education will eventually help a child get a better-paying job. But if a child completes the education and graduates, for certain it can help the child learn about how to focus, self-discipline and perseverance which are good life skills.

Plus skills how to assess a range of information sources to learn how to question sources of information that clearly are wrong/lack evidence. The more complex information, the more the reader is required to acquire analytical skills or different types of skills especially when numbers/statistics and financial figures are thrown at a person.

Particularily for women, it is to their long term financial advantage to take some useful courses part-time after high school at some point in their life.

I work in a large govn't organization where wrongly or rightly people have their electronic signature indicate their degrees and job title. There is a reason for this: So that sometimes other employees understand a person's areas of expertise.

There is no question to have the personal choice for job mobility/choices, is to have a few choice courses beyond high school, underneath your belt in many larger organizations.

Edited by orchid (12/29/11 01:12 AM)

#215949 - 12/29/11 02:56 AM Re: Cost of Raising a Child in 2011 - Up Again [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'd say it has definitely paid off, Chatty,

Both my son and daughter are employed in the field of newspapering.

My son started as a photographer, has won several prestigious awards and not only shot Katrina's immediate aftermath, but also experienced it. (He and a reporter for People magazine drove into the City to shoot and take pictures. The reporter got so freaked out he took off with the car and abandoned my son.) Zach ended up having to sleep on the streets, while protecting his equipment from being looted. The next day he met up with another group of news people, managed to get some food, and continued working.

Cell phones didn't work, and he managed to find a working pay phone and call People's NYC offices to report in. He told them they needed sat phones and cash (ATMs didn't work without electricity). The next day People flew in a private plane with supplies for ALL their reporters - as a result of Zach's keeping his head and figuring out how to get word out.

Zach tells of shooting images there in New Orleans that were so horrendous that seasoned war reporters were in tears. He also helped rescue a group of nuns who had been trapped by the flooding and receiving a blessing from them. I know that meant a lot to him.

He also managed to call me and tell me he had been working in the flood waters, and somehow needed to get some antibiotics to keep him safe due to the contamination (there were dead bodies and who knows what else in the water). I called a friend who is a dentist and told him what was going on. The man called in a prescription to his local Walgreen's and them we let Zach know to go to ANY Walgreen's he could find, to get his prescription.

All this because Zach was on his way to Tampa for a new job at the St Pete Times when he heard about a bad storm heading to NO and decided to detour over there to see what was happening. (He'd been working as a freelancer, and called his agent to see if the agent could find someone who wanted his work. The agent hooked him up with People.)

Since the St Pete job, he has worked for several big papers as a shooter and these days he is manager of the graphics department for his paper -- as well as doing some shooting.

I am sure his education combined with his native skills have brought him to where he is.

As for my daughter, she graduated with High Honors from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and she is an editor at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

I don't think either of them are paid what they are worth, due to the challenges journalism faces right now. But they ARE employed and well respected by their peers and employers.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved