The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#215265 - 11/03/11 02:34 PM Tweet...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Do any of U tweet on Twitter? How is it different from
facebook? I've never tried it! confused

#215266 - 11/03/11 04:17 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Jabber,

I Tweet to my own account, @anneholmes and also on the NABBW Twitter account, @babyboomerwomen.

The main difference is that with Twitter, you have to be very economical with your comments, because you only get 140 characters per Tweet.

And if you want people to retweet (RT) what you said, you need to use LESS than 140 characters, so they can type in "RT@anneholmes" or whomever they've quoting, in front of your comment before they send it out. Which means I like to keep my tweets to about 117 characters.

Other than that, you can follow people on Twitter, which means you are fed their Twitter feed, AND of course, people can follow you.

You can include hyperlinks to web sites and images in your Tweets, but since many URLs are so looong, you will want to use a service that compresses the URL. There's one built into Twitter, but some people prefer to use their own.

NABBW did a teleseminar on use of Twitter and FB awhile ago. And I took an online class in how to use the service for marketing purposes. But, if you just want to use it to communicate with friends, it's pretty easy.

Of course, the newest tool for this sort of communication is Google Plus. It's making a big play to replace FB...

Anyone using Google Plus? If you are, let me know and I will add you to my NABBW circle.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215267 - 11/03/11 04:21 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Oh, Jabber, here's my Tweet on the teleseminar we did on using social media. You can listen to the recording from there...

Quote:
@Anne Holmes
Reinventing yourself? Catch R NABBW teleseminar Thurs 3/24 8 PM EST on how social media can help U: http://dld.bz/TdMJ

And here is a link to a Twitter 101 tutorial: eHow: How to Tweet
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215269 - 11/03/11 05:30 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I will listen to both as soon as I can. Blessings...

#215283 - 11/04/11 02:38 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I tried listening to that teleseminar but could not get it to
play? Don't know why?

Heard on the news this morning that some hunter was lost in a forest somewhere. A recue team told him to stay put; they knew where to locate him. And I'm thinking, this is a great advantage to all the new technology! If it can save lives, it's huge!!!!

#215286 - 11/04/11 05:42 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Jabber, there are two links to listen to the teleseminar here.

One is where you click on the "triangle" graphic, and the call immediately starts playing -- I've checked it twice and it works for me.

The second is the hyperlink, which allows you to download the audio - which means you could load it onto an MP3 player. That link is MP3 download

I haven't tried that, but it should work.

Not sure why you experienced challenges.

As for the news story you mentioned, that it so cool! Just imagine how history might have been changed if we'd had this technology in the past. Consider scenarios like the Donner Party, for example!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215289 - 11/04/11 08:07 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I listened to your entire teleseminar. Had never heard of
Nashable.com or Code Tweet or U2.comboomerbroads or linked in or Yelp. Learning about building community on sites and building relationship interaction and building trust, community pages and people pages and fan pages etc. very interesting stuff. Thank you very much!!!

#215301 - 11/04/11 10:38 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Thanks, Jabber!

I think Marissa and I must have had mush in our mouths -- clearly we weren't enunciating clearly enough. I'll work on that in the future. And on spelling words out. Meanwhile, I will try to clarify for you and anyone else who decides to listen to this call:

When you heard "U2.com," I believe we were saying "YouTube.com" - and of course, you HAVE heard of that!

As for what you heard as "Nashable.com;" the site is actually called Mashable.com - and it is a site that has news and information and stories about social media.

And with regard to Yelp.com it is a site where "real people" post reviews about restaurants, shopping, travel, etc. The thing people like about Yelp reviews is that the reviews are not written by professionals, they are written by people like themselves, who write about their personal experiences.

LinkedIn is a social networking site for business people. It's a lot like Facebook, but it's a site where people post their work experiences, resumes, etc., instead of personal stuff. It's an imperative site for people who want to network, find new jobs, get new clients, find colleagues, build work oriented relationships, find out names and titles of employees, etc. Think of it as a virtual Rolodex.

As for what sounded to you like "Code Tweet," she was saying "co-tweet." There's a site at CoTweet.com which is a service that allows multiple people to have access to the same account. It's a tool that works well for businesses which have company Twitter account.

Finally, the Boomer Broads site is a video show posted to YouTube and starring Marissa's bosses -- and it is quite funny. The two women comment on things going on in the world, from a Boomer Women's perspective. Their most recent discussion asks "Are You Happier Than Kim Kardashian?"

Hope that helps!!

Thanks again for listening to the call, and I promise to be more careful about spelling out new words in the future.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215303 - 11/05/11 01:08 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
When I thought I heard Marissa mention a man using social networking to promote a career in equine dentistry, I was amazed. Having been raised on a farm and owning my own riding horse during the teen years, I should've known about this subject. But I never heard of equine dentistry! And cannot imagine it. Horses by nature are very jumpy and hyper. So, I can't picture one standing still for such treatment. I asked WB if he ever heard of equine dentistry. He said, "No." Then he looked at me weird. All-in-all your teleseminar is very helpful. Sorry if I got some of the words wrong. Think my hearing is a bit lacking, as well.

#215309 - 11/05/11 01:54 PM Re: Tweet...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I'm short on time right now. But after I finish my second manuscript, hopefully I'll have the time to do more social networking. Between BWS and FB and regular emails, life is full
considering I'm keeping a household going and writing in- between those activities. Maybe next year I can start using these other resources. Thanks again.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved