The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#214827 - 09/28/11 02:14 AM Second Recession
MustangGal
Unregistered

Hey, I was talking with a gal who firmly believes that we need to begin setting aside non-perishible can goods b/c the world will soon financially collapse.

That those who control food will control the world.

She suggested that I not get into a hurry purchasing a home b/c I may need to move in with my family again. That some households will begin to have 2, 3, and even 4 generations in their households.

I admit, I'm a bit frightened.

#214835 - 09/28/11 05:40 PM Re: Second Recession [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I sure hope she's wrong, Mustang.

#214837 - 09/28/11 06:49 PM Re: Second Recession [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Well, it's something to think about, Mustang.

As it is, we already have people living in multi-generational households. And that is not all bad.

My father and his parents had to move in with his grandparents during the Depression -- and they grew a lot of food in their backyards. they also grew strong interpersonal relationships. Something we aren't doing as much of in recent decades. Neither are bad things to be growing, IMHO.

My sister-in-law, who just turned 65, visited us this past weekend, and she was all excited about the canning she's been doing this season -- of veggies from her own garden. She was especially excited about the salsas she was making - one batch was a peach salsa - yum! She said she plans to give away a lot of her home canning as Christmas presents this year. I LOVE the idea of handmade gifts like this, when one has the time, they are truly a gift from the heart.

What really got me was when she said she was going to start canning her own homemade beef stew. This sounds like a lot of work -- but her husband said one reason they were doing it was to control the quality of the foo d they eat. A lot less sodium in their meals this way. Plus very convenient, especially as they like to go camping...

I certainly am no economist, so I have no idea whether or not we are facing global financial collapse. But it seems to me there have been doomsayers around as long as I have been old enough to read the papers.

Here's a recent Reuter's article about global recession. and I have to admit that one of the "internet marketing gurus" whose email list I'm on mentioned in the past few months that HE'D heard about this global financial collapse recently from someone he trusted, who recommended that we need to be moving ourselves and our money out of the US and into safer, third world nations.

I'm also on a mailing list from Kathleen Peddicord, from Live and Invest Overseas," who seems to think English-speaking Belize and Panama are great places to move. Here's one of her recent mailings.

So the doomsayers are out there, I agree. The challenge for us. Mustang, is to decide how much we buy into it. And, that, I believe, means we need to start educating ourselves. I expect there's still time to do that.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214839 - 09/28/11 09:08 PM Re: Second Recession [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Good advice, Anne. As always!

#218179 - 11/22/12 06:04 PM Re: Second Recession [Re: jabber]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
>>we need to be moving ourselves and our money out of the US and into safer, third world nations. >>

This is an older thread, but I would hope none of you took such advice. For one thing, there is either NO or VERY LIMITED protection in other parts of the world, such as the FDIC provides to US deposits. In Singapore, for example, only some banks participate in insured accounts and many limit protection to around $50K maximum.

I have lived long enough to be investing since the late 1970's and I can assure you, "Chicken Littles" have been running around periodically claiming that the US is falling off a cliff (fiscal or otherwise) for the last 40 yrs.

When another currency replaces the US dollar as the common global currency, THEN you should worry. Until then....don't. Pressure your Congressional representatives, regardless of party affiliation, to compromise and produce a joint budget solution. The inability to compromise by posturing politicians is the reason for government gridlock, and it benefits no one except the 1%.

#218315 - 12/20/12 04:28 AM Re: Second Recession [Re: jakkom]
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
There is nothing wrong in being prepared and paring down.

However, just today I told a friend that I've had more inquiries in the past month, and prepared more proposals then I have since 2008.

No business from them yet.

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved