The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#180309 - 04/16/09 03:32 AM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: Anno]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anno
I have never been married. The idea has never interested me. I know that is odd, but it is me.

The first time I was fully dedicated to a man, however, was at age 19. I would have turned the moon into the sun, if I could have, for a man that had absolutely no interest in doing the same for me.

It wasn't until I was in my late 40's that I met the man of my life. I'd marry him in a flash, but neither of us care anymore.

Well, I've never married either. I met my partner when I was 31. (I'm 50 now.) We've been together since.

#180330 - 04/16/09 02:32 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My first marriage was at age 20. That lasted 14 years. We divorced. I remarried at age 39. The second marriage is fine. Like Chatty, I like being married. But I have seen unions, which totally destroyed life.

#180449 - 04/18/09 02:30 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: ]
jabber Offline

There are a lot of positives 'n negatives to both, IMO. I've seen
late marriage {meaning getting married later in life} totally
destroy a person. And I've seen it bring much joy. So I guess
it's anybody's guess. It's a gamble, either way. IMO!

#181083 - 04/28/09 10:52 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: jabber]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I was too young at 26. I didn't even want the legal binding, but it was important to him.

Now, 197 years later with the same idiot, the piece of paper means nothing. Having the state's blessing is irrelevant.

Poet and essayist

#181115 - 04/29/09 01:57 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: meredithbead]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
meredith, I'm laughing at your comment. You're a hoot.

I have a friend who says people shouldn't be allowed to marry until they're 30 because you are finally beginning to figure yourself and others out at that age. It seems like the 20-somethings are catching on. While some still marry in their early 20s, many are waiting. I think it's smart. But every now and then, there's a couple who are meant to be together and I believe those marriages will last forever, no matter what age they tie the know - but I'm a pollyanna.

#213490 - 06/19/11 06:31 AM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: Anno]
AlexaVega Offline

Loc: 1011 S 39th St, Temple, TX 765...
I married when I was 25 years. I think I was too young for marriage. But now I am thinking that I was wrong. Now, I am enjoying my life with my life partner.

#213494 - 06/19/11 02:00 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: AlexaVega]
jabber Offline

AlexaVEga,
Welcome to BWS. I married at 20 years old. The marriage lasted
14 years. I'm now happily married and have been for a couple
decades. I'd bet many people fall in love way too young!

#213497 - 06/20/11 01:29 AM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: AlexaVega]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi AlexaVega,

Welcome to our forum, we're delighted you have visited and hope you will become a regular.

I married the first time at 21 and still in college. It was 1973 and the height of the free love era.

I think I knew it was a mistake at the time, but I wanted to live with that man, and I knew my parents would never allow it unless we were married. My father had once told me that if I EVER didn't come home at night, I didn't need to come home ever again.

So we decided to get married to make our parents happy.

The first inkling I had that it was a mistake was at the alter. The minister was going through the vows, and he said the phrase "til death do you part." I stood there and my brain was whirling. It went something like this: "'Til death. Damn, that's a long time... I don't think I can agree to that.

BUT there are 200 people behind me here in the church, who have given us presents, and who have come to the wedding. If I back out now, it will be so embarrassing.

Yeah. But TIL DEATH. All I really want to do is LIVE with him.

So on the spot I made a secret pact with myself that I would mentally modify the vows to "as long as it's good."

Ten years and two kids later, I was still good with it, but I found out he was cheating on me, and we went to counseling.

I told him that I could forgive him and we could stay married if he would agree to give up his lover and not cheat again. He told me he could not do that.

So there was no choice, but to divorce.

Five years later, on the verge of turning 36, I married again. That was the correct decision, and Steve and I have been happily married for 22 years now. He adopted my kids after their birth father died, and things are "all good" now.

I really think we are too young in our 20s to marry for life. BUT our hormones sure are raging at that time...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#213501 - 06/20/11 06:54 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I married too young too, I just turned 18 and he was 21. We had 5 good years together before he passed away. We had one son by our union he was born 3 years into our marriage.

I remarried 2 1/2 years later, we were made for one another staying married for 14 years and having another son, my second husband passed away our 14th year together.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#213505 - 06/21/11 02:01 PM Re: At what age did you first marry? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Here's the thing. Don't think age is a factor for these reasons.
My adoptive mom and dad married when she was 18 [they dated for 3 years] and he was 27. They celebrated their 60th Wedding Anniversary before dad went to be with the Lord. I had a friend
who didn't marry for the 1st time until she was age 63; it cost her, her life-savings and a terrible ending to an otherwise
beautiful existance. Marriage is a gamble, no matter how you look at it. Sometimes you're lucky. Sometimes you're not!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved