The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212081 - 04/13/11 05:53 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: KathySmith]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Welcome Kathy! Thanks for sharing. I am sure you had to do a lot of soul searching before leaving your marriage and before going back to school. So delighted to hear it has worked out for you.

I hope you will become a regular participant on our site!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212165 - 04/16/11 03:27 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I guess I don't feel these powerful desire for a 2nd career.

I'm just working. The work so far is interesting. I am learning something new.

That's all it counts..plus the paycheque which is a reality.

I consider my personal hobby/activities more interesting.

#212846 - 05/13/11 07:31 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: orchid]
auntshommy Offline

I would love a "second" career: although my previous careers have been in education and government before computers were as widely used. It seems that the skills most prized are executive and technological skills. I certainly don't expect a large salary when making the transition, but I know I'll experience a lot of retraining if accepted into a nonprofit organization. Any suggestions for a certified teacher who has worked in special education?

#212848 - 05/13/11 10:37 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: auntshommy]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Auntshommy, Welcome to the Boomer Women Speak forum!

I do believe we are all headed for encore careers, especially because we are living longer and more and more of us are healthy and vibrant at retirement time -- not interested in just spending our remaining years playing shuffleboard or bingo...

As you are a former teacher who has worked in special ed and interested in working in a nonprofit situation, it seems to me you have loads of options available to you.

One concept that immediately springs to my mind is volunteering as a teacher or teacher's aide. There are so many places where this sort of work is available.

As just one example, my father is involved with a program called the "Children's Dyslexia Center" in Madison, Wisconsin.

This program, sponsored throughout the country by the Scottish Rite masonic organization, is growing, with its purpose being to help children with dyslexia learn to read and write.

As an educator, you most likely know that up to one in five school children in the United States are living with dyslexia.
While dyslexia cannot be cured, it can be overcome.

The Scottish Rite program is unique in that it offers "one on one" professional tutoring free of charge.

I don't know where you live, but doubtless there are similar opportunities for you to assist some sort of educational program in your area - either as a volunteer or in a paid capacity.

Alternately, you could start up a tutoring program of your own - with people paying you for your services. This could be for adults or children.

I could write a book about this topic, but I will stop for now, and see who else has some ideas for you.

Again, welcome to BWS - we look forward to your ongoing participation in our forums.

Anne

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/13/11 10:40 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212866 - 05/14/11 08:19 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

I have one girl one day a week who is having difficulties in reading..she comes from school has her tea...We have some projects on the go..It does help me as much as her to have this mentoring..Giving to another is so beneficial..

#212876 - 05/14/11 05:01 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Mountain Ash]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Yes, Mountain Ash, giving is wonderful! Good for you for helping out.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#215348 - 11/08/11 02:31 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
homebusiness Offline

Loc: NY, USA
This was a good article. I think the baby boomer generation will not be "retiring" as previous generations did. They want to give back and do something worthwhile, whether it's a second career or volunteering.

I have working from home for six years, and hope to continue on as long as I can. I really enjoy it, so why not?

My husband has recently started working at his outside job part-time, so he has more time to build his web design business. He loves building websites, and hopes to do it full-time when he can "retire" from his outside job.
http://www.christianhomebusinessconnection.com

#218314 - 12/20/12 04:18 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: KathySmith]
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
I hope that we continue to do whatever it is that we want to do; and do it our way.

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved