The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#211422 - 03/06/11 07:37 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
WOW! This is wonderful news! Isn't it like that always...you wait and wait...nothing happens, and then suddenly you have several options thrown in your lap. I'm so very happy for you Mustang. The federal job sounds perfect...and it gives you security. You go girl!!!!!

#211423 - 03/06/11 07:37 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: ]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Wow, Mustang, that is good news!! (And just in time for your birthday!) But that is a long drive. Are there public transportation options? Carpooling? I'm glad that at least you've been working. I wouldn't worry about how you used your time - it is what it is and you can't go back and change it. Just go forward from wherever you are.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#211441 - 03/07/11 04:18 AM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Congratulations, Mustang!!!! That makes 2 recent govn't employees. I work for a large municipality.

As for your long commute, think seriously of renting your home and see if you can find temporary accommodation closer to town. Nothing is forever, remember this.

Carpooling is a useful suggestion.

Or later, selling home when you know your employer likes you permanently after your trial period.

#211455 - 03/07/11 08:52 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Mustang,

First of all, congratulations! Sorry I didn't see this post yesterday, but I add my voice to those who have already congratulated you on now having a choice to make.

(It kind of reminds me of the Pamela Moran character in one of my favorite TV shows, Army Wives, which finally its newest season last night. In that episode, Pamela reveals that she has to make a decision whether or not to move in order to take a better job. But if she moves, she will lose her PX privileges...)

Well, I'm digressing so here's a link to the show's website Lifetime TV Show: Army Wives and now getting back to you:

A couple of years ago I strongly considered a job I thought I would truly like, that was 90 miles away. Steve wouldn't have been open to moving, but I reasoned that people in major metro areas commute that far daily for a job, and that I could as well.

In the end, the consideration was moot, as I was not offered the job. But these days, with higher gas prices, I expect your best bet -- if you decide to take the job -- WOULD BE finding some place to rent closer to the new job...

There are a lot of benefits to a federal job, of course.

So keep us posted as you weigh your options. Meanwhile, we'll keep the prayers going to help you with your decision-making.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211942 - 04/05/11 12:07 AM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read today that McDonalds is having a cross country gala for hiring and wants to fill 50,000 jobs in one day, nationwide. If true that would be helpful for the economy, and any income is better than no income...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#211973 - 04/06/11 06:42 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I heard this too, today. Some of their food is good. I like those
honey mustard,grilled chicken wraps and Big Macs.

#211975 - 04/06/11 10:29 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I've been pretty fond of their Angus Beef burgers and I pick up lunch there about 3x/month.

But last I checked with my doctor she told me I really ought to switch to the kid meals. Apparently they are more appropriately sized... And of course, they now come with alternatives to the fries. But the fries might be the best part of the meal.

When I go I get one sandwich as a meal, one just the sandwich. Then Steve and I split the fries and I give him the diet soda, as I don't drink soda... (Well that's not totally true. But I don't drink DIET soda. I allow myself a "real Coke" about once a year. That is nirvana.)

I don't know if I like the Coke so much for the actual taste or because the taste brings back so many memories...all the way back to 2-3 years old, when I used to go to the barbershop and run errands with my Dad on Saturday mornings. Back then, part of the ritual of the trip was that we would split one of those old 6 oz. bottled Cokes that used to be dispensed from Coke machines at the gas station.

So: I am delighted to hear McDonald's is hiring so many people. And I hope it portends good news for the economy, while making more memories for today's little kids.

Edited by Anne Holmes (04/06/11 10:31 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211987 - 04/07/11 01:43 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I don't drink much soda, either; I mostly drink water. So I know
what you mean when you say that's blissful. I enjoy one of those
small, bottles of coke now and again. And I too hope McDonald's
hirings foreshadow's a stronger economy. Wish gov't would stop arguing, quit spending on foolishness, stop the nonsense grants and crazy exspenditures, and nip in the bud whatever graft is out there!

#212041 - 04/11/11 07:23 PM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thank you. I'm still working at the law firm through a temp agency - working at a law firm has its challenges.

I have a contract on my home and if it passess inspection, I should move/close by end of month. Which leaves me open to moving to the Federal Job, but with the budget stuff going I won't know anything permanently until next week.

Thus, I still have two options both of which involve placing the majority of my belongings into storage:

1. Live with Mom and continue working at present job while looking for horse property; or

2. Live with Mom and commute for about a month and find an apartment to rent at new location and move horse with me and work for the USDA.

In any event I won't be able to purchase real estate until I've been employed for a year w/ today's economic climate.

I'm very stressed out!

I don't want to leave my Mom, yet I've always wanted to work for the Feds again.

Also, I'm liking where I work now and working with the Feds would be $4k less, yet . . . well ya'll know as I've said above.

Thanks for listening to me. Although I do have limited internet -- I very much appreciate ya'lls guidance.

Love to all of you gals.

#212043 - 04/12/11 04:00 AM Re: Prayers for Employment [Re: ]
Boomer in Chief

Wow, Mustang,

No big decision is ever simple, is it? There are always trade-offs.

Normally I would say there is a lot of security in a Federal government job, and a lot of good benefits, many of which are not available to you as a temp employee.

But given the economy, one worries a bit about job security. In a Federal position, are you subject to "LIFO" RIFs? That is, "last in first out" should it come to a reduction in force?

That would be the main thing I would worry about. Though if you are a former federal employee and/or a veteran, you sort of have a "golden glow," once hired, as I understand it. (I am speaking as the former wife of a federal employee. But it's been almost 30 years since I was married to Bill, so rules might have changed since then...)

In any case, I will keep up the prayers, praying now for clarity in your decision-making process.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved