The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212047 - 04/12/11 10:09 AM Home Schooling
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have to tell you the more I hear/see of our public schools I am believing more and more in home schooling. My sister home
schooled my niece and nephew years ago and both today are functioning adults with families, and live good progressive lives.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#212057 - 04/12/11 01:44 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My sister in Tucson home schooled her children and both of her
offspring are healthy, society-contributing adults. I think home
schooling is a good idea.

#212067 - 04/12/11 11:14 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I like the concept of home schooling, but I do think it means kids miss out on one of the best parts of traditional schooling -- meeting kids who are "different" than you are, and learning to appreciate them for their differences. These differences might be religious, economic, cultural, social or otherwise...

The tolerance that kids learn when they are thrown in with, and have to learn to work and play with others is, I believe, one of the most fundamental parts of schooling. And without it, we run the risk of raising kids who are totally parochial in their thinking. (And by parochial, I don't mean religious, I mean "having thought patterns which are very limited or narrow in scope or outlook, provincial."

THAT sort of thinking is not a good thing.

On the other hand, public schools can be such scary places that the ability to think is totally absent -- and all one does is learn to "go along in order to get along." Beyond that, they are not always places where learning can safely take place.

My daughter attended public schools all her life, and though she had a couple of incidents of bullying that she had to learn how to handle early on, for the most part, I believe she received an excellent education, she thrived and she excelled.

(As proof, she was accepted at a handful of wonderful colleges across the country and she selected my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where she graduated with high honors. Following college graduation, she has always been able to be a well-employed adult.)

My son, on the other hand, was not so lucky. He attended the same schools, but he had some learning disabilities to deal with, and the public schools did not handle them well.

By 3rd grade, I figured out that he did not know how to read, and he had been getting away with this. When he received homework assignments in class, he simply tossed the books and papers in his locker at the end of the day, and did nothing. And not one of his teachers challenged him on it or discussed it with us.

Oh, we had parent teacher conferences, but they were never about the fact that he couldn't read. They were about the fact that he could not sit still in class, or the fact that he hit a kid -- who'd hit him first -- on the playground. And the school had a zero tolerance policy for violence...

We also had a memorable one over his trying to sit on the bleachers in the gym after school, to wait for his best friend, whose house he was supposed to go to after school. The friend had joined some team, and the team met after class. But the gym teacher did not want anyone NOT on the team -- Zach was too young -- to be in the gym.

In the end, we sent Zach to a small private college prep school, and it was the best thing we ever did for him, education-wise. (This was not a boarding school, he did not live away from home.)

The classes were small, the teachers cared, and the students worked hard. As a result, Zach learned to work hard as well. When he graduated, he received an award for "most improved student" in his class. And he was accepted into a good "Big 10" college, where he excelled and graduated.

Of course, not all parents can choose this solution, as the tuition was significant. But many private college prep schools have scholarships available.

I think this is a solution that offers the best of both worlds, and I highly recommend it.

For anyone not familiar with this type of school, the one we selected is called Rivermont Collegiate -- it's a private, nonsectarian, independent, multicultural school for students - preschool through twelfth grade - offering a nurturing, caring and safe environment where students develop intellect, character, and creativity.

I would highly recommend all parents look into whether there might be a private college prep school in your area.

Edited by Anne Holmes (04/12/11 11:17 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212075 - 04/13/11 01:32 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Excellent. Anne I enjoyed reading your #212067 post. It's a bit
unsettling that there are so many public school shootings of late. I went to public school and lived. Sis home schooled her
kids. They're doing fine. Guess it's a matter of preference.
Rivermont looks cool.

#212080 - 04/13/11 05:50 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, I offer applause for those who have the time and temperment to home school. I doubt I could have done it. We needed two incomes while the kids were in school... And not sure I would have had the patience...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212091 - 04/14/11 02:45 AM Re: Home Schooling [Re: Anne Holmes]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
Anne, I enjoyed your thoughtful post regarding the pros and cons of home schooling. Like you, I believe children benefit from interacting with a variety of people, including those outside their socioeconomic comfort zone. We need to raise citizens of the world! However, we also want our kids to be schooled in a safe and nurturing environment. I'm going to do some research into the type of school you described (that your son attended) and see if something similar is available in our area for my granddaughter. Thank you for bringing up that possibility.

Edited by Sandy N. (04/14/11 02:45 AM)

#212094 - 04/14/11 01:13 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: Sandy N.]
jabber Offline

I agree with both points of view. On one hand, children need the interaction public school brings. On the other hand, they can
learn things they're too young to process properly. Guess it's
six of one, and a half dozen of the other, as grandma would say!
LOL...

#212346 - 04/26/11 09:19 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: jabber]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I home schooled my daughter from 6th through 12th grade. It was the best thing I ever did. She is a well rounded, functioning adult who entered college with a 4.0 GPA. I taught her with a mix of high school and college texts. It was daunting but the rewards are great. We have a relationship that is terrific. Did she miss anything social from not attending? No. She already had her friends from the neighborhood, school and those she met at the academy that we attached her to. It more or less warehoused the grades, offered some classes if we wanted, and administered the tests she needed to college entrance. It is such a good way to do it. We were able to use whatever curriculum we wanted. Had to turn in quarterly grades and meet some classes that gave them a private school standing.

As far as socialization, we live in an area where there are so many different nationalities she lacked for none. Matter of fact, she's a young woman who does not see color in people.

My sister is a newly retired teacher from the public system in Florida and glad to be done with it. They are not (anywhere in the US) teaching children anymore. Just teaching to the test.

My grandson will be entering Kindergarten this fall and we are sending him, hopefully, to a private school. He's in a private pre-school this year. Will not put him in the public system as it stands.
www.tidedancer.com

#212414 - 04/28/11 06:16 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: Sandpiper]
jabber Offline

Sandpiper,
I'm impressed! WOW! That's some accomplishment! You ladies inspire me. You really do. I feel so fortunate to have met
you and Jenny. It warms my heart! Prayers and blessings...

#212463 - 04/30/11 10:41 PM Re: Home Schooling [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I think Sandpiper, as a homeschooling parent, was fortunate to live in an area and made a conscious effort to expose her daughter through some activities to play and be with kids different from herself.

I'm not totally convinced all parents live in areas like that or as open.

I also feel that not all parents are functionally literate and not all are good natural teachers for any child/anyone. They might be good for child for other skills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved