The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2112 - 11/14/04 04:19 PM Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Hey girls,
I'm putting this question here because I didn't want to disturb the one under "Women Writer's" and I didn't want to clog up Carolyn's time with this. She should be for the "biggee" questions.

When you do a book signing, do you:

1) Give away book markers? (if so, homemade or professional?)

2) Have you ever used Book Plates? (love um? hate um? they are popular? or not?)

3) Do you give away anything else?

4) What is the most popular thing OR even the most outrageous thing you've done at a book signing?

Do I anticipate a book signing? Dang straight. And pretty soon too. Ever the optimist! [Big Grin]

Thanks for your help!

JJ

#2113 - 11/15/04 08:53 AM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I did bookmarks for my signing and of course inserted one into each book I autographed. I did them on my computer on heavy, brightly colored stock, put my book cover picture and some "short reviews", website link, ISBN # and publisher on it too. There were a lot of people who didn't buy a book who DID ask me to autograph the bookmark for them too!

I love bookplates for my own books, but never thought about using them at a signing. I'll defer to the more experienced at signings to answer that one....but personally, I think it's a neat idea.

I didn't really do anything "outrageous" at my signing, but I tried to "engage" anyone who came NEAR my table...I'd pull them right into a quick verbal synopsis of my book with all the enthusiasm I could muster and I am SURE I had some people buy the book just because I "talked them into it" (!!).

Other things I had on my table were two different colored half-page short synopsis pieces. Some people who were in a crowd and came by my table took those - then read them somewhere in their travels through the signing area and returned to my table to get the book.

I can't WAIT for you to have your first signing Madame Queen...are you taking a throne and crown and sceptor along????? [Wink] [Wink]

#2114 - 11/14/04 09:36 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Gee...thanks Ms P for the info...and no, but I'm thinking bout taking the Trixster if she's not grounded at the time. Caught her on the computer AGAIN the other night and let's just say she had nooooo biz being in THAT KIND of chat room. Sometimes I think her attitude is going to the dogs, you know? wait...teehee...LOL...hahahah...going to the dogs! get it? hahah...how funny! Hahaha...teehee....I really SHOULD write humor...ahahah...cough...spurt...gag...ahem...ahem...sorry...tee--

JJ

#2115 - 11/15/04 09:01 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great advice from Pam about the book marks. You can also leave them in your travels, and give to friends to scatter about.

I think you should have a dramatic crown sitting on your table. [Wink]

While I was at the writer's conference on Saturday, there were two authors leading the seminar. Both had their books in front of them. One book was flat on the table and I couldn't see the title or cover art. The other was standing up for all to see. Be sure to have them flat and standing.

This sounds so simple, but makes a huge difference.

#2116 - 11/15/04 09:17 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
No book signings here (YET! but hopefully one day) I just wanted to add that I got one of Pam's bookmarks and they look very professional to me. (So far I'm loving the book too!)
So if you made them the way she did, you'd be doing great.

Congrats on the future signing!

Kind of unrelated, but when my son was running for student council president,in school, we made bookmarks with his name on them (handmade) to get his name out and he won the election, so I say go for the bookmarks!
I like the crown idea too!

#2117 - 11/15/04 10:49 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I just had a thought...(I know, dangerous)...but you people who have already created bookmarks. If you've made them from your home computer, and if it happened to be a program that was compatible with say...MY computer....would any of you be willing to share the file? The reason I'm saying that is that if we already had a file set up for the proper dimensions, it would be really easy to take your name, artwork, etc. out and put mine in. Capice? Anybody? JJ

#2118 - 11/16/04 03:56 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Jawjaw,
Please tell us more about this book and this signing. You've got me curious!

#2119 - 11/16/04 04:57 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Girl...I wish there was more to tell. But right at this moment in time, I don't have anything concrete. The book is at the publishers, and I am at their mercy as far as printing time. I'm in the line of books to be printed, however, no one will tell me exactly WHERE I am in that line, nor who I would have to bump off to move me up the line...what? Oh...I wouldn't hurt um...just mangle them a bit. Believe me, when I have a confirmed release date, this place will be the FIRST to know...and bribe.

JJ

#2120 - 11/17/04 08:38 AM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
JJ, I've been to a lot of booksignings. Some successful, some not. No, there isn't any rhyme or reason why one succeeded and the other didn't.

Here are some tips for you.

1. wear a name tag.
2. Have a large sign w/your photo and "Author appearing today" message and /or book cover
3. chocolate - people love chocolate
4. book marks - people love bookmarks and you can autograph them as a bonus
5. drawing (give away something other than your book) Use the forms to gather marketing info for your next project
6. pen - have a good signing pen, one that doesn't run or blotch.
7. signing messages - think about them now so you don't stumble and draw a blank when you sign your books
8. good supply of books -make sure the bookstore orders them early and they arrive. Verify.
9. Smile - a smile can do a lot for attracting strangers to your table

that's all I can think of right now. I'm sure other people can add to the list.

#2121 - 11/16/04 10:25 PM Re: Book Marks? Book Plates? Tiperello's?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Jawjaw, mine were created by Michelle. I can ask her if she still has the file.

I took her file and gave it to the guy who printed my stationery, etc. He crammed as many on a page as possible to cut down on the cost. After he printed the had then cut by a machine. this was MUCH cheaper than haveing book marks made by a vendor. I got about 6 for the price of what a vendor wanted to charge. Oh, mine are laminated, but I've also seen them made from good card stock and not laminated. I also have information on both sides. [Wink]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved