The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 37 of 37 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37
Topic Options
#211334 - 03/01/11 12:28 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
One last note........I checked Kathryn Stockett's website and it says they are making a movie out of The Help.

#211458 - 03/08/11 04:07 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
I just finished reading DECADES by Ruth Harris. It's the story of three women - a mother, a daughter, and an "other woman" - whose lives are enmeshed. The plot takes place over several decades, starting in the 1940s through the 1970s, and the author ties the events in the characters' lives to the attitudes of the times. She also mentions pivotal events that are happening at the time of the scenes in the book (post-war baby boom, JFK assassination, Vietnam war protests, The Pill, etc.) I'd recommend it.
Note: I bought DECADES on Amazon as an ebook for my Kindle; however, I believe it is also available in paper.

Edited by Sandy N. (03/08/11 04:08 AM)

#211461 - 03/08/11 12:43 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Sandy N.]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
That sounds like the kind of book I love to read. I've added it to my list and am going to look for it. thanks for the recommendation!!

I just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire and am getting started on the 3rd and last in this series, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest. Not my usual kind of read but kinda good to read something different for a change.

#221494 - 07/07/19 11:13 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jawjaw]
montx Offline

In the middle of reading "Managing Magic: the Governments UFO Disclosure Plan." A second cousin asked that I read it, so I'm trying - forcing myself to work through the words. It reads like a man's diary would, if there is such a thing.
I'm interested in disclosure. It is time we learn the truth.

#221497 - 07/08/19 09:13 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: montx]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Montx, reading your last comment, I am reminded of the phrase, "The truth is out there," which was made famous by the now-defunct TV show, 'The X-Files." I'll be curious what your reading reveals.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of different books.
JED DIAMOND, PHD's latest book "12 Rules for Good Men," which will be published in October, I believe. I received an advance copy, because he asked me to write one of those one paragraph blurbs that often appear on books' back covers or on the first few pages, before the book actually starts. It's an interesting book, I was surprised that one of his first rules is for men to become members of a men's support group...

MARTHA BOLTON's (current NABBW member) latest book, "Forgettable Jokes for Older Folks: Jokes you wish you could remember about things you thought you'd never forget." Martha is a former staff writer for Bob Hope, and has written for Phyllis Diller, Mark Lowry, Chonda Pierce and others. So clearly a fun book, and I will be posting a review on the NABBW site soon.

JENNIFER CHIAVERINI's (author of "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker") new book "Resistance Women: A Novel," is an amazing story of four extraordinarily courageous women, who narrate the book. Historical fiction, 3 of the women are based on real women, who originally met in Madison, Wisconsin, where they were University students. The majority of the story is set in Europe, primarily Germany, beginning in the 1930s. So through the eyes of these women, we see that Berlin is a thriving, intellectual place, but Hitler and the Nazi party are on the rise. The women resolve to resist, and risk their lives to collect information from journalists, military officers and officials within the highest levels of the Nazi party. Highly recommended book.

LIZZIE SHANE's book, "The Decoy Bride," is a fun rom-com romp. Movie star Maggie Tate hires a look-alike, struggling artist Bree, to act as her decoy when she wants to escape to the South Pacific to marry in secret. Bree's job is to spend those three weeks distracting the paparazzi by staging a fake wedding half a world away. What could possibly go wrong, right? Fun book.

Edited by Anne Holmes (07/08/19 09:14 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221501 - 07/09/19 02:02 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Anne Holmes]
montx Offline

The two in the middle sound interesting. I don't read much fiction. Haven't for years. But I will on recommendation, and if our library system has it or can get it for me.
I'm almost finished with this one and another, called "Henry Rice, the Tennessee Grist Miller, and his Twelve Children." It's a genealogy read, so I have to finish it soon - brought in from Illinois through inter-library loan. Then I intend to read Julie Ryan's "Angelic Attendants: What Really Happens As We Transition From This Life Into The Next." I heard her being interviewed on a radio station, not too long ago. From that one, I'm going to Dr. Pasulka's "American Cosmic: UFOs, Religion, Technology" (back to the UFO topic, with a diif. twist).
The truth is surely out there. I'm thinking it's going to be far too much for many to handle, if and when disclosure occurs.

#221504 - 07/28/19 03:02 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Dianne50]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
"Where The Crawdads Sing" is a great read.

#221505 - 07/29/19 02:37 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jabber]
montx Offline

"Managing Magic: the Governments UFO Disclosure Plan." I found it totally boring.
My library hasn't found me a copy of "Angelic Attendants: What Really Happens As We Transition From This Life Into The Next," so I skipped to Sidney Powell's "LICENSED TO LIE: Exposing Corruption in the Department of Justice." I say "wow," probably 'cause I was practically in the middle of the Arthur Anderson Acctg Firm dealings. The firm did the external audits for the the corporation I worked for. I was the rep's go to for answers to any questions. I wanted to work for the firm so badly, due to that relationship. Now, I know the Lord was looking after me when that door didn't open for me. I had no idea things were as bad as they were, until reading Sidney's book. Reading it also helped me better understand what was (and still is) going on with the Russian Collusion Hoax against DJT. Some of the same players are involved. They are unethical and crooked, to say the least.
Sidney Powell is now Lt. General Flynn's attorney. I hope she can WSA!
So, I'm jumping into, "Why You Get Sick and How Your Brain Can Fix It!" Or, "The Flute of God," which was recommended by a friend. We'll see how it goes.

#221506 - 07/30/19 07:59 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: montx]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Well, I would certainly like to know what really happens when we die and then transition to the next life.
But it would seem to me that the only people who can answer this are people who have died and then somehow come back to life. The little boy, Colton Burpo, is the only person I know of who has said he did this and has never recanted his story. (I'm sure there must be others, as I'm not omniscient! )

What is WSA?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 37 of 37 < 1 2 ... 35 36 37

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved