The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 194 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211262 - 02/25/11 10:06 AM Is there a market for framed photograpy?
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
A few of you here participate in markets. I've been thinking of giving it a try. At first I thought I'd enter a market in April, but instead, I'm going to visit it first, talk to the artists there, and see if I have a chance in marketing framed photographs. I'd appreciate any tips that you proffesional vendors may have for me. cool

The children photos aren't for sale. They are just examples of my style, and hopefully that I may get orders to take children photos. I know it's risky, since everyone is able to take photos...so that's why I thought I may concentrate on the B&W catagory.

Here is a video displaying some of my works. If you like you can see it in HD quality on Youtube. Just double click on the screen.

#211265 - 02/25/11 03:45 PM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
EW...they are beautiful!

Locally, several photographers do well. Personally, I like framed art.but like the option of using my own frame...for decor purposes. And if you want to turn tourists' eyes, be sure to include many local attractions.

Why not also offer those video frames...they are more popular nowadays.

#211279 - 02/26/11 01:35 AM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have no advice as I am notr a vendor and never been in that market. All I can say is: WOW!!
Your pictures are just breathtaking, so clear and sharp and I personally like black and white and have noticed many popular designers using framed, black & white pictures on the walls in new home designs. You are so talented, I kid you not...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#211281 - 02/26/11 07:46 AM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Thank you Di and Chatty. I soooo appreciate it. Actually BWS is at fault , because so many have encouraged me. Well, I will pursue this...don't want to be on my death bed saying..."man I should have tried that!" lol.

#211284 - 02/26/11 03:28 PM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Edelweiss3]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Go for it, Edelweiss. As you said, you don't want to be on your deathbed wishing you had tried something you didn't. Here in Tucson, we have a street fair twice a year; there are always photographers there with framed and unframed photographs for sale. And your pictures are at least as good as some I've seen at the fair.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#211291 - 02/26/11 09:45 PM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Lovely work, Edelweiss! I think black and white prints are a great concept. As others have said, people like them for decorating, and they can be so dramatic.

I know I bought a large framed print a few years ago because I walked into a framing store and was knocked out by the image, which had beautiful triple matting, as well as a frame that really harmonized with the image...

I had not been planning to buy a print when I walked into the store, but it spoke to me so strongly I was compelled. And I know I paid a TON more for the image because it came all set up in the frame than the simple print alone would have sold for.

Can't end this post without telling you that the images of the children were outstanding. You have a real knack for the unposed candid shot, and parents are willing to pay big bucks for that. (I speak as the mother of a professional photographer.)

Also, I always love viewing your slideshows, because you choose such fantastic music to accompany the images. I wonder if there is some way you can offer that as a product?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211301 - 02/27/11 09:19 PM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Yonah and Anne, thanks so much for the encouraging words. I think I'll do as orginally planned. simply check out the markets, and if I see they go well, then I'll participate. My business instinct is making me cautious. I don't want to jump into this blindly. It's incredible how much money has to be invested to participate. Maybe because it's only a market for professionals. The rent, purchasing a tent, and of course the decor and framed art work combined, makes me think I will have to sell zillions of photos to just cover the costs.
I'm looking into on-line sales. That's easier.

#211302 - 02/28/11 12:00 AM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Great photos.

But in terms of people, who are strangers, I wonder how much people would want to pay for framed photos.

I think the digital photography world is under great competition against the ease of anyone taking digital photos.

#211306 - 02/28/11 01:04 AM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Edelweiss3]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Well, Edelweiss, that caution is well-placed. I agree you have to look at your expenses and ability to make a profit. Don't start anything until you've put together a budget that shows you can start to turn a profit in a comfortable amount of time.

When I was offering my encouragement, I wasn't aware you'd have rent and tent costs involved. I somehow thought -- guess I wasn't thinking -- there was little or no investment involved in exhibiting at craft fairs, etc.

Were you in the US I'd advise that your local SBA office -- and SCORE -- can help you assess your risk factors. SCORE offers small business mentoring ( SCORE.org) services free and in confidence. Not sure what counseling is available to you in Germany.

Edited by Anne Holmes (02/28/11 01:07 AM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#211321 - 02/28/11 10:48 PM Re: Is there a market for framed photograpy? [Re: Anne Holmes]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Edelweiss, your work is certainly good enough to sell professionally.

Some suggestions (take or leave them, just suggesting...)

Include local & scenic shots -- yes, people love them! -- but only frame a few, including some as larger size "show pieces" -- and sell the bulk as matted prints with the protective cellophane. This is what I see the most at fairs, and it cuts down on your costs (frames).

Have a separate area in your booth (up front on one side) with your portraits and a sign CUSTOM WORK. If possible, have a video montage(s) constantly running, with the sound turned down low enough so you can speak/hear over it.

Have a price list (a discreet stack of xeroxed copies) for everything under the sun: your hourly rate, travel costs, prints, matted, framed, videos, etc. OR just offer several package deals, where you get ABCD for a certain price. But people need to be able to take home a list and think about it. However, your presentation should focus on quality and experience, not price.

You can ask vendors how good a particular show is, but no one can tell you how well your product will sell. You can also ask for recommendations on buying a cheap or used tent.

Do you want to accept credit cards? I don't know the options in Germany but other vendors will.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved