The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#210416 - 01/14/11 03:09 PM Beyond Scared Straight
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I watched my first episode of Beyond Scared Straight...wow, truly an amazing documentary about putting troubled teens heading down the wrong path in with criminals who try to convince them to turn their life around. It's sad it has to take such an extreme tactic before getting some teens to wake up about their behavior, and for one girl, she's not doing so well and is in juvi. I was impressed with one girl whom I though was the biggest smart-alec becuase she really turned herself around, respects her parents and is doing well in school. One of the girls whose mother she saw in the prison broke my heart. However, she's doing really, really good and does not want to be like her mom and spend her life in jail.
Really good program...if you've never seen it, give it a try or if you have watched it, what do you think? Know anyone in your own family you'd like to see be scared straight?

#210418 - 01/14/11 04:20 PM Re: Beyond Scared Straight [Re: Dee]
Mountain Ash Offline

Sounds thought provoking Dee.We dont have this in UK.
What is running this week is...A top resturant owner Michelle Rouxe is offering an apprenticship to two young people.A group have been filmed going through tasks, The attitude from most of the group is bordering on rude..one lad has been dismissed..he was sarcastic and when a meeting was held between the owner and the lad he went straight to the group and mouthed off..he believed he had "a big personality"and laughed off any help that was offered.
I really hope this group settles and work at their bad attitude..they did improve as the gained confidence..we shall see as subsequent episodes are screened.

#210423 - 01/14/11 08:34 PM Re: Beyond Scared Straight [Re: Mountain Ash]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Mountain Ash...sounds like an interesting show. Whatever happened to courtesy?

#210441 - 01/15/11 12:31 PM Re: Beyond Scared Straight [Re: Dee]
Mountain Ash Offline

I recall that past generations have passed remarks about the younger generation.And then no doubt we would wonder what the fuss was.
Standards vary but coupled with my dismay at the negative attitude most of the group in the documentry expressed there is a deep sadness that this seems to be the ethos...that these youngsters have inherited a world that has less jobs and therefor they dont get the stabilty of an apprentiship or secure workplace.
I joined the workforce straight from school indeed had a choice of work opportunities..soon I was part of a firm where personal and social development was absorbed as well as having my own salary.
In some ways these youngsters I descibe seem more sophisticated but behind the veneer there is a scared part which presents as devil may care..and of course failing again reinforces this.
Group work may show personal growth as the series unfolds..
My reaction was so strong.....I was actually looking away and squirming in my chair... having thought about how much I reacted lets me understand this is a sad situation in need of a solution.

#210506 - 01/18/11 10:50 AM Re: Beyond Scared Straight [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It seems a harsh way to get a teens attention and in all but one teen the inmates did a great job. It will be a weekly show and I will watch the men next week.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#211067 - 02/14/11 02:06 AM Re: Beyond Scared Straight [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have to say I think the women convicts put on a better show then the men did. They were louder, uglier in their behavior and meaner all around. Those young girls about wet their panties and some probably did.

#211371 - 03/04/11 12:54 AM Scared Straight 2 [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

There is another 'Scared Straight' with female convicts tonight at 10:00 p.m. Pacific time. I can't imagine living in a cell for years. I would however try it for a couple days/nights to see how it feels.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved