The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 33 of 37 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 >
Topic Options
#210010 - 01/03/11 02:03 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Just started KILLER HEART by Brenda Novak, a suspense thriller.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#210016 - 01/03/11 03:24 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I just finished the best novel I've read in a long time. Chatty if you've not read "The Art of Racing in the Rain," you would love it as would anyone who loves dogs and enjoys books. It's written from the perspective of Enzo, the dog.

Also finished "Water for Elephants" a fair read with a lot of graphic action-probably a movie soon.

Now reading "Peace Like a River," a little better than Elephants, but kind of depressing so far.

Edited by smilinize (01/03/11 03:25 AM)

#210025 - 01/03/11 02:37 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: smilinize]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm working on reading Joyce Meyer's "Power Thoughts"; IMO it's much like Norman Vincent Peal's, Power of Positive Thinking.
Both beliefs walk along the same lines.

#210030 - 01/03/11 07:32 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Cool, Jabber! I've not heard of that author or book, but I just wrote about several of NVP's points in my NABBW New Year's message, which ought to finally get published later today. Anyone who espouses those sorts of thoughts would definitely be worth reading. I will have to check her(I'm assuming) out ASAP...

Edited by Anne Holmes (01/03/11 07:33 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210031 - 01/03/11 07:33 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: smilinize]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Smilinize, I agree, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" is a fantastic book. I loved Enzo...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210038 - 01/04/11 12:55 AM Re: What are you reading? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am ordering that book today Janis. If you and Anne both loved it, then it must be my kind of book... Thanks!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#210060 - 01/04/11 02:43 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne,
Yes, she, Joyce Meyer, has a world outreach ministry. I've been listening to her TV Program "Enjoying Everyday Life," and reading her books for years now. She's a boomer, with "down to earth" and "where the rubber meets the road" sort of teaching. She's an everyday housewife [with a high school education only] from Fenton, Missouri, whose teachings reach millions upon millions of folks with Bible based ideals.

P.S. After I read your news letter, I, too, thought it a coincidence we both mentioned Norman V. Peale at the same time!

Edited by jabber (01/05/11 02:17 PM)

#210101 - 01/05/11 10:32 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: jabber]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
just re read for the umpteeth time, The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy. The basis of the movie Conrack. That man can spin a phrase into sheer poetry. I love the lowcountry of GA/SC this is a keeper

#210102 - 01/05/11 10:44 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: judym]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
wISHING TO KNOW: how many of you are irritated and bereft at the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn rewrite to take out the offensive N word, despite that Mark Twain wrote that so long ago and it was the missive of a much more simpler and adventurous time? I know that Twain wrote that from his own experiences, and I am so ANNOYED they are trying to make it PC. when we were taught that in HS and College, it was rejoinded by the N word, which is Never A good thing or pleasant. But seriously, it was written in that timeframe....and it should not be decimated by the pc of today. Think of ALL the books we were taught in the BEST teachers' literature clases...Franny and Zooey, Catcher in the Rye...All the Shakespeare would be suspect...and Fareheit 451. I was benefited by having an awesome literature and creative writing teacher that did not stand to public comment, she understood the treasure of the written word....all I can think now is yes, Farenheit 451, all books decimated...e readers, then none on the shelves...and in the mind of pc and public consciousness...no books at all... banninng literature is bad enough, but to CHANGE the words, that is just ludicrous. Shame on them and shame on us to allow such to happen, Long live the literature that enlightens us all, and the music, and the arts, and everything that keeps us HUMAN! We all strive and desire that bit of life that is in keeping with our spirit...

#210104 - 01/05/11 10:55 PM Re: What are you reading? [Re: judym]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Judy,

I hadn't heard of that happening, but I did want to share that anyone interested in Mark Twain might want to pick up his newly published autobiography...

Volume One, which is a hefty (weighs in at over 3.5 pounds and features over 700 pages) treat, was just recently published and I gave a copy of it to my SIL for Christmas. He was delighted.

It REALLY is his autobiography, but apparently he left word that it not be published until 100 years after his death, so as not to offend anyone...

Which is why I thought of it, when you mentioned the recent editing of Huck Finn.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 33 of 37 < 1 2 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved