The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#209876 - 12/28/10 01:46 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This reminds me of something I read years ago that has become so ingrained in me. It was by Jean Vanier and I can't quote word for word, so will just give the gist of it. Essentially, he suggested that in every moment of our lives and in every encounter with every person we meet, we either sow seeds of death or seeds of life. We are constantly choosing, by our thoughts, actions, words and non-actions, to either sow seeds of darkness and death - or seeds of light and life. There's no in-between.

Thoughts of vengeance lead to actions, words and a general demeanor which support those thoughts and those beliefs of vengeance...more darkness in a world that needs more light.

People have hurt me, hurt others, rippled devastating consequences into my life that have created painful rubble that I've had to stumble over in order to move on. I've learned that keeping grudges, wishing for vengeance, praying that others will get what I think they deserve (not in a good way), are all seeds of death and create dark and destructive forces WITHIN ME, leading me further and deeper into despair.

When I forgive and let go, asking God to BLESS those people (in a good way) according to His will for their lives, and to teach me the golden nuggets of wisdom and learning that always exist within every situation, good and bad, then I am living in light and sowing seeds of life, both within myself, and in the lives of those others.

The Bible is very clear, though again I cannot quote, about God laying before us death or life, and then exhorting us to choose life. Choosing life means choosing to live lives of forgiveness, compassion and love, even and especially for those who hurt us.

That's (IMO) what being a Christian is supposed to be about - not seeking vengeance (which only adds more darkness and death to our own hearts and in turn to anyone and everyone we encounter), but seeking forgiveness and reconciliation and sowing seeds of life and light wherever we can.

I have to say that it is beyond my comprehension to ever even think about asking God to hurt anyone for any reason! To use prayer and God in that way is abhorrent to me. My heart and spirit yearns for peace and yearns for more light and love in the world - that yearning leads me to use prayer to ask God to bless, heal, encourage, strengthen and help others in whatever way those others need, including all who hurt me or others.

(Maya Angelou)

#209892 - 12/29/10 02:54 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Eagle,
You are right. And I didn't mean to suggest I was praying for the Almighty to avenge their wrongdoing; I felt that way at first, but have since come to my senses. Probably after airing the situation here. I'm just letting Heaven deal with it all. I don't intend to get even for anything that went awry in my friend's life. She told me she didn't handle the situation properly. She knew that. So I guess it was her humanness that stumbled and started the avalanche, which destroyed her. I know the Bible tells us to pray for our enemies' blessings and when we do, etc., etc. I fell into this mess innocently and hope to fall out of it innocently. But I'm human, too. And it hurts to see such wonderful people unnecessarily harmed to the point of destruction. But everything you've gently stated is true. And I agree but still believe God is a God of justice, and He'll take care of it!!!
Hope you're feeling better. Delighted to hear the good news about
your Good News!!!

#209899 - 12/30/10 08:55 AM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: jabber]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Quote:
Meridith how do you reachone the karma balance is regulated if considerring reincarnasion? goood deads get rewarded with a better life in the next life. dose it ever go the opposite way.......a real hard life is the rewared for the previouse life success at overcomming adversity? how dose it address poverty striken cultures and is thir ever a risk that us in our developed wealth get arrogant over the less developed cultures? Dose it all pice together?

Celtic, I have no absolute answers, but some (although not all) of the Hindu beliefs regarding reincarnation resonate with me.

Having wealth is not a crime of the soul, and as such wouldn't be punished. However, gaining wealth through the suffering of others; or using wealth to harm another -- would be.

Why do so many people live in poverty and have hard lives? I don't know. Are they being punished for past life transgressions? I don't know.

When I look, I can imagine a rhythm to all this -- discord as much as sweetness. Ebb and flow. But that's my belief system.

Poet and essayist

#209906 - 12/30/10 02:54 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: meredithbead]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Some Native Americans believe that we are here to learn something and to teach something. And our souls have a choice to take this life or not, knowing how it will play out. From that, I think a soul could choose a hard life knowing it will teach someone else. Once the soul inabits a body, though, it does not remember what will happen in the life it chose (usually, anyway, although some seem to remember what's coming.)
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#209907 - 12/30/10 03:10 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: yonuh]
Eagle Heart Offline

Yonuh, I read a book years ago (Embraced by the Light) about a woman who had a near-death experience and that's what she learned in her NDE. Her book changed my life forever, because so much of it resonated with me and made so much more sense than anything else I've ever read or learned. Embracing the possibility of these teachings has given me a whole new perspective and joy when reading Scripture, and a new sense of purpose...a profound relief, so to speak, because everything - every encounter, every experience, every perceived failure is actually a unique opportunity to either learn or teach...there are golden nuggets of wisdom and learning in every moment, when/if we have the eyes to see.

Over time, as I've read more about this, it has also (I believe) healed me of all suicidal thinking (which I've struggled with since the mid 60's). While I still have down days, deep down inside of me, I can feel a profound serenity that was never there before, a "peace that passes all understanding", because now I believe more than ever that everything, even those "down days", have opportunities for growth and stretching and hopefully, helping someone else. This way of thinking excites me like nothing else has for a long time.

(Maya Angelou)

#209913 - 12/31/10 09:57 AM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

It is my belief that we all reach a "place" that sits well with our own journey.For some it is a book other have an experience that allows personal growth.
I too have read books Eagle similar to the one you mention.

Meeting many people who are troubled through my career there often presents a mindset of turmoil...presents as health problems or inablilty to maintain significant riendships..sometimes manifests as sadness and sometimes anger...in most cases there has to be a turning point before a client finds ther "place"
So for me being vengenful has no value and erodes well being.
It demands practice and is as important as exercise and good food.

#209920 - 01/01/11 02:22 AM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: Mountain Ash]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I agree with you Mountain Ash,

I see no point in being vengeful and have recently been reading an article about the power of positive thinking. I read Norman Vincent Peale many years ago and firmly believe in his beliefs.

I wish several family members would hang on to the positive rather than the negaative..

How do you influence others to see the positive??

Donna

#209922 - 01/01/11 12:10 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: 49erDonna]
Mountain Ash Offline

Donna
There are none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Each person has the ability to seek their own conclusion.In novels..plays as in life there is a "turning point"

but illness is I believe connected to mind set...so internal work has to be done.

#209924 - 01/01/11 01:49 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

So wise, MA. My journey has been so full of twists and turns that it has taken many "turning points" to get to my here-and-now. I suspect that there will need to be more, because there is still much internal work to be done. I think, believe, that these life-changing turning points come just as one needs them to move into the next chapter of that inner work. It seems that it's a never-ending process, though perhaps that's because I choose to keep searching out what I need to heal the parts of me that are still broken (eg, I still have trouble establishing and maintaining relationships).

I keep hoping that one day I will stumble over the threshold into perfect inner harmony, where all of these turning points and healings will join together into one harmonious web of well-being and inner peace - what I want most, my constant prayer, is always to learn how to love and to be loved to the point where love and light are all that ripple out of my heart and mind and tongue. Perhaps that can't happen within the confines of this human form, but it's what drives me to keep moving forward and not to give in to complacency and futility (otherwise, my life would seem like intolerable drudgery at times.)

(Maya Angelou)

#209925 - 01/01/11 01:51 PM Re: Why do the Wicked Prosper? [Re: Mountain Ash]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't think you can influence others to think positively rather than negatively. All you can do is stay positive yourself and hope they follow your example. Some people just don't 'get it' and never will; others may see how well it works for you and change. Keep trying!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved