The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#208070 - 09/30/10 01:30 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Mustang,
What great links Dotsie gave you. I loved looking at all those
advertisements. There are some excellent ideas there! Good luck!

Edited by jabber (09/30/10 01:30 PM)

#208259 - 10/08/10 01:08 AM Re: Fired [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I never knew there was so much to learn and be able to view. Great links!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#208266 - 10/08/10 08:06 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Orchid, You are absolutely right about the need for a basic website or blog -- heavens, my husband and I have been building websites and blogs for small business owners for over a decade now -- there is no way I would NOT recommend that Mustang have a blog... And Dotsie's links certrainly proved that OTHER dog walking and pet care businesses do this. (Wonderful links, BTW, Dotsie!)

I just wanted to make sure Mustang new that she doesn't have to wait to get a blog built to start promoting -- and, as you said, to point out that small business owners need to utilize as many marketing resources as they can.

One additional note of advice: Don't let the Yellow Pages people sell you a big ad. Your listing in the YP is free, and that is really all you need there. Put the rest of your marketing efforts into as much free marketing as you can find.

The great "guerrilla marketer Jay Conrad Levinson once had a list of something like two dozen ways local businesses can market -- and many of them were "creative"

For example, why not make up a shirt or jacket that you wear when you are walking the dogs, that has your business name on it -- a phone number and a picture that makes it clear what you do... Why knows, you might get photographed by your local newspaper photographer who is out looking for "color shots." And if nothing else, you're a walking billboard when you are out with the dogs.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208270 - 10/09/10 04:09 AM Re: Fired [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
For example, why not make up a shirt or jacket that you wear when you are walking the dogs, that has your business name on it -- a phone number and a picture that makes it clear what you do... Why knows, you might get photographed by your local newspaper photographer who is out looking for "color shots." And if nothing else, you're a walking billboard when you are out with the dogs.

Sounds like a great idea.

OR if one of the Mustang's own dogs wore a little vest that large lettering of her firm on it.

Need a creative design student somewhere...actually this whole design thing would be a perfect class project assignment.. and student would learn something. Everything is so virtual, student could design online, submit, etc.

#208411 - 10/13/10 11:28 PM Re: Fired [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thank you ladies, all great ideas!

Yet, I've done some market research and have discovered that there are already 3 or so dozen pet businesses recently. Seems that others are doing the same in connection with the economic environment. Being your own boss or contractor seems to be popular.

I'd be lucky if I made $800 a month in my locality.

I'm praying that I'll find a job with benefits. The Army National Guard is not taking my peer group for waivers in my state nor the 3 surrounding states.

I'm now registered with three (3) temp agencies and nothing.

The unemployment office referred me to a law office where the lawyer was nearly an hour late for the interview and berated her current and past employees. She offered me 55% less than my prior job and said if I did not take the job that I'd lose my unemployment benefits. The unemployment office agreed with her. I went up the chain to find out that I will not lose my benefits and that several complaints exist against that particular lawyer and firm. Geesh.

Seems that employers will advertise their jobs with the unemployment office for cheap labor. I've learned my lesson with that particular avenue. Again, proof positive that folk will take advantage of you and the government lies or doesn't have a chicken's poop of a clue.

I worked one more week with my pet sitting 'mentor' and she lied and took advantage of me. She said I was stupid and that's why I lost my job - she said I have a track record. I have no room for her in my life.

I may take a try at Craigslist for jobs.

Also, seems word of mouth is best these days. Yet, I don't have anyone really to help with that avenue.

I have traffic w/ regard to my home for sale (since 12/09) at least 1x week; yet, offers are less than that which I'm asking. I've lowered the price 2X to where, if sold, will cover the realtor fees and closing costs, leaving me at break even. Yet, the offers are much less b/c folk who are approved for less are trying to buy that which they can't afford.

Also, I may consider going back to school -- perhaps medical coding, that seems to be a good career.

Thus, if my home sells, I'm open to move somewhere else. I'm trying to trust God -- and doing so leaves many obstacles. Seems that the more I try to attend Church that I encounter folk who call themselves Christians, but hide their sins behind the pews and lie. I'm trying to keep my faith.

Lord willing.

#208412 - 10/13/10 11:30 PM Re: Fired [Re: orchid]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Thank you ladies, all great ideas!

Yet, I've done some market research and have discovered that there are already 3 or so dozen pet businesses recently. Seems that others are doing the same in connection with the economic environment. Being your own boss or contractor seems to be popular.

I'd be lucky if I made $800 a month in my locality.

I'm praying that I'll find a job with benefits. The Army National Guard is not taking my peer group for waivers in my state nor the 3 surrounding states.

I'm now registered with three (3) temp agencies and nothing.

The unemployment office referred me to a law office where the lawyer was nearly an hour late for the interview and berated her current and past employees. She offered me 55% less than my prior job and said if I did not take the job that I'd lose my unemployment benefits. The unemployment office agreed with her. I went up the chain to find out that I will not lose my benefits and that several complaints exist against that particular lawyer and firm. Geesh.

Seems that employers will advertise their jobs with the unemployment office for cheap labor. I've learned my lesson with that particular avenue. Again, proof positive that folk will take advantage of you and the government lies or doesn't have a chicken's poop of a clue.

I worked one more week with my pet sitting 'mentor' and she lied and took advantage of me. She said I was stupid and that's why I lost my job - she said I have a track record. I have no room for her in my life.

I may take a try at Craigslist for jobs.

Also, seems word of mouth is best these days. Yet, I don't have anyone really to help with that avenue.

I have traffic w/ regard to my home for sale (since 12/09) at least 1x week; yet, offers are less than that which I'm asking. I've lowered the price 2X to where, if sold, will cover the realtor fees and closing costs, leaving me at break even. Yet, the offers are much less b/c folk who are approved for less are trying to buy that which they can't afford.

Also, I may consider going back to school -- perhaps medical coding, that seems to be a good career.

Thus, if my home sells, I'm open to move somewhere else. I'm trying to trust God -- and doing so leaves many obstacles. Seems that the more I try to attend Church that I encounter folk who call themselves Christians, but hide their sins behind the pews and lie. I'm trying to keep my faith.

Lord willing.

#208429 - 10/14/10 03:24 PM Re: Fired [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Sorry, don't know why this posted 2X.

#208439 - 10/15/10 03:14 AM Re: Fired [Re: ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Mustang,

Though it is not an instant fix, going back to school to get some new experience IS great idea. It looks like areas where we will have job growth in the coming years are largely in the health care and medical arenas.

Here are some interesting links on that:

Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act

Workforce 50

Reboot You

Retired Brains

Boomers Next Step

Experience Works
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208446 - 10/15/10 03:02 PM Re: Fired [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Thanks for these links, Anne. I sent them on to my partner who, after almost 40 years in the construction industry has no work for the first time ever. The construction trades are dead in the water because of the housing debacle.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#208449 - 10/15/10 08:43 PM Re: Fired [Re: yonuh]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I see many in the same boat. Thanks for the links. We need some fresh links for resources. Mustang, glad you're not going to work for that rude lawyer.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved