The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207180 - 08/30/10 12:18 AM JEANS?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
What kind of jeans are you wearing? It used to be that a woman in middle-age would not wear jeans, but we are the bell-bottom boomers, so jeans are a staple. I've worn L.L.Bean, Land's End, Levi's, Vanderbilt, Guess, JonesNY, ColdwaterCreek. Has anyone worn the Macy's store brand? I'm shopping for new jeans, and I want them to be feminine. What do you like?

#207186 - 08/30/10 02:01 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Lately I prefer Wrangler and Cruel Girl bootcut with either waste or midwaste styles. I do not like the low waste styles b/c they seem to fall and I'd constantly pull them up -- wouldn't want anyone to see my coin slot! My favorites are Gap jeans; however, the nearest store is too far away!

I did not know Macy's had their own denim brand, how do they fit?

#207189 - 08/30/10 02:13 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Mustang you can order from any of these stores through the computer. All have websites!!!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207195 - 08/30/10 12:35 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: chatty lady]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Right, but I like to try them on in the store -- its the whole experience of feel and touch and not guessing.

#207196 - 08/30/10 12:53 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: ]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I wear the Gloria Vanderbilt jeans (only available in Zellers here in Canada). They're so comfy, and I like the material. I'm like Yonuh, jeans (and bras and shoes) are two things I have to try on, not only for sizing but for the material. If I already know the brand and/or style, I'll order online. I order almost everything online now, but when it comes to clothes, I only order from places with very easy return policies (we actually don't have as many options here as in the US).

(Maya Angelou)

#207224 - 08/31/10 07:38 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Levi's....my pr. is over 10 yrs. old. I just haven't addressed the matter of buying new jeans. I haven't been happy with the styles or with pricing. So for now I've given up for now.

For casual wear, I am in cycling wear or other clothing that I find another excuse not to look for new jeans.

#207226 - 08/31/10 08:00 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: orchid]
Princess Lenora Offline

I have 2 pairs of Land's End boot cut jeans that I bought 10 years ago for horse-back riding. They are tough and durable but not very attractive. Orchid, at least you stayed the same size for a decade! Must be the cycling keeping you trim.

#207236 - 09/01/10 02:24 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Most recently I've worn Levi's boot cut and Ann Taylor Loft boot cut. I like both. Haven't worn either this summer and am wondering if they're still going to fit. Sigh...

I don't order pants online. I tried on three pairs of Levi's, same size, same cut, in the same store and only one pair fit.

Princess, I think I'll be looking for new jeans very soon too.

Good luck.

#207244 - 09/01/10 11:40 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: Dotsie]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I went shopping just yesterday at a women's wear store (called Reitmans...don't know if they're in the US). I had a coupon and they had a good sale. So I tried on lots of pants that are designed to be "between" dress pants and jeans. The saleslady urged me to try on a pair of 'comfort jeans', but the look didn't appeal to me. After trying on many others, I finally took her advice, and the moment I put them on, didn't want to take them off. They were so comfortable, and lighter than jeans, which makes them handy for traveling (we're always having to watch our weight restrictions when packing these days). So I bought two pairs (it was a BOGO...buy one get the 2nd for half price). They looked much better on me than on the hanger, for once. LOL. Anyway, I came right home and tucked two of my older heavier pairs of jeans into the give-away bag to make room for these new lighter ones. It's too hot here right now to wear them, but they'll be great for upcoming travels.

(Maya Angelou)

#207246 - 09/01/10 12:18 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Eagle Heart]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
NY & Co used to make a jean that I loved, but of course they've discontinued it. Several pairs of those in my closet still. Gloria Vanderbilt is another favorite. IZOD's are ok. Sonoma jeans (I think that's a Kohl's line) are pretty good. A friend loves Vera Wang jeans (also available at Kohl's). I'm ashamed to admit how many pairs of jeans are in my closet. Gain a pound, lose a pound, they fit different........so I kind of wear what I like how it it fits at the moment. I have Lee's Riders, Calvin Kleins,Levi's you name it. I could never buy jeans without trying them on. And I agree with Dotsie -- I've been known to take every pair of a particular jean I like, in my size, into the fitting room and trying them all on so I can buy the one that fits best -- and they will all fit different. Don't want to hassle with shipping them back, if I bought them online and they didn't fit.

#207249 - 09/01/10 12:39 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, we don't have that store, but we may sell that brand. I'll have to check.

CQ, I also wore NY&C jeans years and years ago.

Also, I don't mind paying more for jeans because that's all I wear in the winter.

#207251 - 09/01/10 03:06 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Dotsie]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I use to wear Levis but it got to be annoying that the sizing and fit were never consistent...2 pairs of jeans the same style and number never fit the same. I wear some Lee jeans, but I wear mostly Aura bootcut jeans from Wrangler. I love the fit. With these jeans, you wear a size smaller than you would normally wear. I don't know if that is a selling gimmick, thinking you are a size smaller than you really are. It doesn't matter to me whatever their reasoning is behind it. I like the jeans. They wear well, and feel great on.

#207270 - 09/01/10 05:49 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Cookie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Aura from Wrangler. I think Penny's has Wrangler. Wow! This is going to be more of an adventure than I anticipated. Eagle, that's good how your jean fitting session went. I don't think we have Reitman's here. I do think that sizing has changed. I used to sell suits and dresses and party wear at a Bullock's in Costa Mesa, CA. I don't think Bullock's exists anymore. It was like Nordstrom. Anyway, the higher end the line, the smaller the sizes, to flatter the customer's ego.

#207275 - 09/01/10 05:58 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

hadn't heard of Aura from Wrangler will have to look for those. the Sonoma jeans I get at Kohl's run large too and I wear a size smaller in them, and I've often wondered the same thing about the sizing..............do they think that because it makes me feel good to think I wear an 8 instead of a 10 that I'll buy more?!?
We don't have Reitman's here.

#207283 - 09/01/10 07:45 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I like Kohl's Sonoma brand for ladies, too; however, the jeans are too short! I need 34" length!

#207386 - 09/03/10 10:08 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I like Gloria Vanderbilt and Calvin Klein jeans. But I like any brand that feels good and fits comfortably. I like Naturalizer
shoes and reasonably priced handbags with lots of compartments.
I'd rather wear blue jeans than get dressed up. Suppose that's the farmer in me. LOL...Fun topic!

#207399 - 09/04/10 01:20 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Sizing in women's clothing seems to be all over the place. It used to be that a size six (or whatever) was the same for all brands. Now it's like shooting craps. I can't trust that my size in one brand will fit if I pick that size in another brand. It's really frustrating! I can no longer pick out something in my size and trust that it will fit; I have to try on everything now.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207401 - 09/04/10 12:35 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: yonuh]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Yea I know what you mean. And it's not just jeans......it's everything. T-shirts -- in one brand, a large is too big. In another, it's too small. And bathing suits -- well we don't even want to get into the sizing on them. I need bigger boobs and a smaller belly (want to just push the belly up and apply it to the boobs but gravity is against me). I almost never order any clothing online or thru catalogs for this reason. I just don't want to have to mess with shipping it back if it doesn't fit.

#207405 - 09/04/10 12:56 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jabber Offline

yonuh & crosstitch,
I agree, sizing is thither and yon. Generally I take a medium,
but the last few years have had to try each item on, because a medium isn't a medium any longer!

#207409 - 09/04/10 03:13 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
Princess Lenora Offline

I looked at Calvin Klein and Nine West jeans in a big box wholesale warehouse store yesterday. Size was so difficult to determine, plus, the length! It was too daunting so I gave up.

#207410 - 09/04/10 03:16 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Jabber, there is no farmer in me, but jeans are my dress of choice. There is a rock star hidden within. Hmmm, where to get jeans for rock stars? Oh, and what about jeans made in America? What do we know about that?

#207411 - 09/04/10 03:32 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
There are very few companies that make things here - most garments, including jeans, are made overseas. And the jeans made in the US are usually made with imported fabric. How sad is that?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207429 - 09/05/10 02:09 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jabber Offline

PL,
I've been meaning to link this site here. A local man started
a Made in America Store; he's only a few miles from where I live.
www.saveourcountryfirst.com/ You can give this a try. I bought those Calvin K.'s at Macy's or JC Pennys, I think. But they fit
great. Good luck! Rock Star hey?

#207430 - 09/05/10 02:10 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

PL,
I see he has Texas Jeans there.

#207480 - 09/07/10 03:34 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

yonuh,
I emailed the owner of the aforementioned business and asked
if the "Texas Jean" fabric was imported from overseas. I'll let
you know. That was an interesting observation and want to know
myself!

Edited by jabber (09/07/10 03:34 PM)

#207556 - 09/09/10 04:04 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

The "Made in America" store that this link coincides with is
having a concert this weekend and they seem extremely busy right now. I googled "Texas Jeans" and their site claims Texas Jeans
are 100% made in the USA! So believe it or not? I don't know.
But that's the claim!

#207627 - 09/13/10 06:50 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
dewing123 Offline

I've had success with Chicos' jeans, but the best-fitting, most comfortable, long-lasting jeans I've ever worn are Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They're expensive--average about $100--but well worth it.

#208015 - 09/28/10 12:50 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: dewing123]
orchid Offline

I just bought Yoga black jeans. Not cheap. But actually I've looking for new jeans...um...last 5 yrs. off and on. I decided to get them for both home casual warm wear and for business casual days.

I was a bit shocked what "low-rise" jeans meant. It was too annoyingly low for me..and I can wear such styles.

They are snug enough ..as incentive for me to stay in shape. My current 12 yr. old jeans are too lose and have tendency to expand in them during winter because there's not enough snugness to warn me.

#208031 - 09/28/10 05:35 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Orchid, I wasn't familiar with Yoga jeans, but your comments sent me on a search, and for anyone else unfamiliar, here is a website I found that talks about them. Apparenlty they are made in Canada... http://charlie-sattva-yoganista.com/all-about-second-yoga-jeans/
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208032 - 09/28/10 05:47 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: dewing123]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: dewing123
I've had success with Chicos' jeans, but the best-fitting, most comfortable, long-lasting jeans I've ever worn are Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They're expensive--average about $100--but well worth it.

These have been my best bet as well. They don't gap at the waist and are made of stretch fabric, and just the right length. I try to find mine on sale or at an outlet store.

#208037 - 09/28/10 10:20 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
orchid Offline

blush Just don't let the yoga positions intimidate. I will never be able to do such positions!

I bought them from a local small women's chain store here at home.

I was instructed to wash them in cold water and hang to dry. Fine by me.

***My lack of motivation for a long time, to buy new jeans was partially I had been using the excuse of working at a construction site where alot of employees at all levels, wore all sorts of jeans. So no one cared about my 15-yr. old jeans.

It was actually a relief to work in an environment where there was less focus on looking chic vs. looking neat and practical while people focused on the job. Then a cycling lifestyle when I wasn't working, was a further excuse to do nothing. Anyway, my casual wear money had been directed on cycling stuff and scarcely any casual, non-sports activity wear for past 5 yrs.

#208058 - 09/29/10 09:09 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

In recent years, my favorite jeans are from Ann Taylor Loft. I shop there for pants because they have several styles and one will always do the trick. I don't mind paying more for jeans because I pretty much live in them; jeans and black pants.

#208066 - 09/30/10 02:48 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Most of my pants are from Ann Taylor Loft b/c they have longer lengths. I need to order a couple more pair of Wranglers from Tractor Supply. While in junior high and highschool, I always shunned Wranglers, which were commonly sold at K-Mart back in the day. Now, I prefer Wranglers and/or Lees, both are made by the same company.

#208067 - 09/30/10 12:19 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: ]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

some of my friends are into horseback riding and posted this link on Facebook. I don't know what the difference is between these and other brands like Lee and Wrangler, I sure can't see much difference in the pictures, other than the knee patch which I think actually looks kinda cool. Since the topic here was jeans I thought I'd throw this in, somebody might be interested.
http://horsewomanspirit.com/ridingJeans.html

You sure can't beat the price at $15 a pair.

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (09/30/10 12:21 PM)

#208138 - 10/03/10 02:53 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
It's always better when there is a picture to look at, thanks for the information. The Lee stretch jeans fit well and are mighty comfortable.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#208175 - 10/05/10 04:04 AM Re: JEANS? [Re: chatty lady]
Princess Lenora Offline

Good ideas on jeans. I still have not shopped! I could not spend 100 on jeans although I'm sure they are worth it. I like the Loft clothes a LOT and Chicos

#208484 - 10/18/10 02:34 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jabber Offline

Never heard of Ann Taylor Loft before. Will have to look into
that.

#208495 - 10/19/10 12:39 PM Re: JEANS? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I just looked it up; there are some Ann Taylor Lofts around here.
Who knew?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved