The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 145 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#207101 - 08/26/10 01:50 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: DonnaJ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I think a great topic is getting along with your adult children. Also, setting boundaries with your adult children.

I'm heairng about lots of 20-somethings moving back home. Whether they live at home or not, I think our generation of woemn could use some help with this topic. Some mothers are smothers and some aren't involved enough. Where's the balance?

#207104 - 08/26/10 02:06 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Dotsie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Great idea, Dotsie!

#207106 - 08/26/10 02:11 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Dotsie]
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Absolutely! I still find myself wanting to smother my daughter with care and direction. It's difficult.

Have you read the books by Drs. Cloud and Townsend about boundaries? I do believe reading those books changed my life. Here's a link to the first one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0310247454?tag=...KYP33V7XD6WAKZ4

They have several more like boundaries in marriage, dating, and with your kids.

#207122 - 08/27/10 02:52 AM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: DonnaJ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'd be interested in topics about how I could make a difference in my community. Volunteer work I could do without having to quit my job and leave the country.

I was so inspired by reading Linda's "Grandma's Letters from Africa," but that sort of life would never work for me and Steve. (He's extremely independent, but he does wear leg braces, so a life in Linda's African outback would be too extreme for us.)

Nevertheless, there are things we can do to help out locally -- and sometimes those needs get overlooked. I like Songbird's idea to help people learn to cook, as well as the devotional concepts.

I am totally amazed at how few young people know how to buy healthy foods and create healthy home-cooked meals.

A mission of training people on how to create healthy, affordable meals will also feed the soul, IMHO!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207366 - 09/03/10 08:39 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Everyone wants to run away to some other country to do Ministery work, why??? We have areas in this country where there are no schools, no teachers, people need food, clothing etc. so I thnk there is plenty to do for our own downtrodden right here in America...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207488 - 09/07/10 05:11 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'm with you on this, Chatty, though I don't want to sound like I don't honor and respect the missionary work many of us do in third World countries. My sister in law is one of those dedicated people and I am in total amazement of the work she does.

That said, I used to be a member of the congregation at an Episcopal cathedral, where the Dean and the parishioners were always raising money to build churches, schools and hospitals in Africa - without seeming to notice that the neighborhood our church was located in had become somewhat questionable -- and that a lot of the people living in the neighborhood were barely making it, financially.

I spent some time talking to the Dean about this, and he seemed genuinely surprised by my suggestion that it might be worthwhile to have a simple mitten drive as winter was approaching and there were a lot of kids in the neighborhood who could use coats, mittens, boots, etc...

He was a good man, and to his credit, he listened.

Sadly, he's no longer Dean of the Cathedral, I'm not sure he is even living, but I am happy to say that these days, the Cathedral has a thriving program to help those in the neighborhood, including a wonderful day care program which makes it possible for low-income women to work, knowing their children are being safely and well cared for.

I'm all for caring for the world, but I do think we need to help those in our own backyards, as well.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207489 - 09/07/10 06:00 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Like that saying: "charity begins at home"
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#207562 - 09/09/10 04:17 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

And it's so true!!!! Doesn't it seem like our country bends over backwards helping other countries around the globe, and then slacks off when it comes to assisting our own States? It sure seems that way sometimes!

Edited by jabber (09/09/10 04:18 PM)

#207565 - 09/10/10 11:37 AM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I deeply respect missionary work and people who forego their
own comfort to help the needy. Missionaries are awesome people!
But this country needs help and we should start here first!
Like all the forementioned posters' have indicated!

#207723 - 09/15/10 02:14 PM Re: Christian Ministry in the 'Second Half' of Life? [Re: jabber]
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I know of a church making a difference in their own backyard. Each Saturday they give out cooked meal and clothes to the needy in their community. They set out tables of clothing next to the church building. They also have inspiring literature for anyone interested in having a relationship with the Lord.

Our church has a Community Service program all year long. We collect food for the needy. And many people receive clothing and other home necessities as well. But we also try to be alert to any of our members in the congregation when they are having a time of need and try to help in any way possible. We need to care for those abroad, but we should not forget those around us.
Missionary work is great and we support our missionaries financially too.
NABBW & NAWW

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved