The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#206450 - 08/04/10 11:00 PM Not Possible???
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Do you still think retirement will be possible for you with the current situation of the country? I retired partly and am finding I need more money than I originally thought. I can manage it however by cutting back on some things so am luckier than most.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206468 - 08/05/10 01:02 AM Re: Not Possible??? [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Chatty,

Personally, I don't think we Boomers are going to be able to retire the way that our parents did. I think most of us will be doing some sort of work for the rest of our lives.

I'm excited that one of NABBW's August teleseminars is with Mary Eileen Williams. We will be talking about her new book, "Land the Job You Love: 10 Surefire Strategies for Jobseekers Over 50."

If you're interested watch the IA's - Important Announcements. The call will be on the 12th @ 8 PM ET.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206484 - 08/05/10 11:47 AM Re: Not Possible??? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I know some boomers who already retired, but are already back to work due to changes in the market. Thought they had a lot more money until about half disappeared!

I watched my dad's generation retire too young. Little did they know they might live another 20 - 35 years. I don't think they would have retired so young had they known that.

#206590 - 08/07/10 10:22 PM Re: Not Possible??? [Re: chatty lady]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
We started planning for retirement 10 yrs ago and really 'stepped it up' at the 5 yr mark. I retired in 2006 when my MIL sold her house and moved in with us; she's reasonably independent but doesn't drive and shouldn't live by herself due to a gradual dementia.

DH retired in Dec 2009. We are in our late 50's and although not wealthy, having a financial plan aided by professionals (I worked for almost two years for an independent Certified Financial Planner, and DH's employer holds extensive planning classes year-round) made the big difference. We paid down debt, got our legal stuff in order, worked out a budget that would handle a wide variety of scenarios, including inflation and declining health changes for either or both of us.

We have friends who retired but didn't plan properly, so they are scrambling to stay afloat. Some have gone abroad to live, reluctantly but no choice. Others are continuing to work.

Because we don't have children, getting LTC insurance was a huge part of our strategy. It was the right decision for us - DH suffered a stroke barely 4 yrs after purchase; we would never be able to afford it had we listened to conventional wisdom and waited until later to buy it. Now we feel we have options available to us as we age that our friends/family don't.

#206615 - 08/08/10 02:12 PM Re: Not Possible??? [Re: jakkom]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I elected to skip the long term health care - am I crazy?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#206641 - 08/08/10 04:24 PM Re: Not Possible??? [Re: Anno]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
That depends on WHY you are 'skipping' LTC. Are you just ignoring a future need, or can you afford to self-insure? Do you have family who can honestly, in this uncertain financial environment, afford to take care of you and hire the home healthcare services you will need as you age?

The people I know who have retired and not been hurt by these bad times had good financial advisors with fiduciary responsibility to them; e.g., they were able to pay, and WILLING to pay, for good advice.

The people I know who are having a much tougher time, refused to pay for good advice and thought they had done a good job planning. But it turns out they hadn't, and when the economy went bad so did their retirement plans.

We were fortunate to have received good advice even though we are not, and never have been, wealthy or even upper middle-class. We weren’t even good savers and used to carry a lot of debt. But 10 years ago, we ‘buckled down’ after realizing it was time to get serious about planning for a good retirement, instead of just HOPING for one.

So we paid off our debts, including the mortgage; got our affairs in order, and went through every ‘worst case’ scenario we could conceive of, so that we would have options not only now, but for the future. We have weathered the market storms with very little damage.

More importantly, what little loss we suffered has made absolutely no impact upon our lifestyle. Disability, lingering illness, or death to one of us, will not adversely affect the surviving spouse. This was our true retirement goal - not just an age but a lifestyle goal.

Financial planning is a holistic process. You cannot take one element out and expect to have a comprehensive plan uniquely suited to your own set of circumstances and preferences. Ignoring unpleasant scenarios will only weaken the strength of your planning process.

It would be like pulling the legs off a spider, one by one. Its balance might survive the loss (ignoring) one leg; possibly even two. But remove (ignore) too many supports, and the spider eventually falls down and is unable to get up again.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved