The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 178 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#206235 - 07/29/10 06:17 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Yesterday was another 'first' for me. Hive Beetles are a problem for bee hives and we've seen then so Larry ordered items to put within the hive to help combat the nasty little suckers. That meant we had to dismantle the hive and disrupt our bees. I suited up (white shirt, white jeans, socks, sneakers (elastic bands around wrists and ankles and a mesh hood and rubber gloves...I wasn't taking any chances..Larry's so comfortable he just wore gloves and his hood. We got everything ready and the smoking began...inside you could hear them buzzing away...they start trying to clear the hive of smoke so it keeps them too busy to string...before I knew it the hive was dismantled and we were surrounded by bees...all of them non-aggressive. Not one landed on me or tried to sting me and I was in their face close. We had to work quickly and the top feeding tray (heavy sugar water) had bees fall into it...poor darlings were stuck so Larry and I were trying to lift them out...it's as if they knew we were helping...they' try and climb up onto my gloved finger and then I'd put them near the hive...I can see where one falls in love with these little creatures. Not once did any of them try to string nor did they become agressive as a group. Larry put the hive back together after putting in anti-beetle stuff and by the evening all were back in the hive making honey. This is the most incredible thing I've ever seen and what fun Larry and I are doing this together...I told Larry that if anyone had asked me if I'd ever be handling bees I would have told them they were out of their ever-loving mind...but, after this, I get why people love doing this. We're hoping for our first honey next year...I'll keep ya'll posted.

#206238 - 07/29/10 06:57 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I get the heebie jeebies just reading this. This would be one of the last hobbies on earth that I'd would attempt. Bees scare the heck out of me. Dee, you are so willing to try new tihngs. I admire that quality in you.

However, I must say that when I'm gardening and bees are in the flowers right next to me, they leave me alone. We garden together.

Also, please note that you should never give honey to infants. My great-niece had infant botulism and almost died. This was only a few months ago. Her dad uses honey in his coffee and they said that possibly, she could have gotten some honey from his mustache. I think it's more likely that the cat brought something in off the farm. Weird and unbelievably scary.

#206326 - 08/01/10 05:50 AM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Yes, giving honey to a chid under the age of one is not wise...so you are correct there.
I, too, have a great respect for the bees as long as I'm suited up where they can't sting me...and too, they are smoked so that calms them down as well.
a Bee was crushed on the side of one of the boxes and immediately 4-5 bees began working to move the dead bee off the wood. It was pretty stuck. One bee literally stood on his hind stinger-section and pulled with all its might trying to loosen his dead partner...steam came out of his antlers he was pulling so hard...cracked me up. He never did make it but not for sheer lack of trying. An amazing thing to watch. Larry flicked the dead bee off with a stick and the other bees busied themselves elsewhere. busy busy busy busy busy busy busy busy busy bees

#206336 - 08/02/10 12:34 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dee,
Bees are not my thing. Xena and I got stung twice, while geocaching last summer. I like honey but I do not like bees.

#206344 - 08/02/10 10:54 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Dee, Jabber, Dotsie and all,

I just read this article in the Huffington Post about bees disappearing globally. I guess they call it "colony collapse disorder."

Bye-Bye Bees

It sounds like one of those "butterfly flapping its wings" phenomena, something that seems small but could have global impact. So I thought I ought to share it with you...

Anne

Edited by Anne Holmes (08/02/10 10:58 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206347 - 08/03/10 01:10 AM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Scientists have been trying for a few years now to figure out what's happening to kill the bees. There are several theories, from cell phones, to pesticides, to GMO crops. I hope they figure it out soon or we will all be up a creek without a paddle!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#206395 - 08/04/10 12:35 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne,
I saw a report about the diminishing bee population on one of
those TV news magazine commentaries, either GMA or 60 minutes or
O'Reilly. Folks' are quite upset about this issue.

#207029 - 08/23/10 11:21 AM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: jabber]
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
We kept bees years ago in a hive on the porch roof. Bees dispose of their elders by banishing them from the hive and carrying their bodies and dropping them. Occasionally they got into the house -- because we opened the window to check on them -- and did this and I stepped on a few of them, immobile but still alive and able to sting -- and got stung on the bottoms of my feet. We were obviously very green doing this, but didn't know anyone to consult about bee keeping, just had a book.

#207046 - 08/23/10 11:47 PM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: DJ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well with todays internet availabilities regarding every subject imaginable, there should be much out there for any hobby such as beekeeping.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#207051 - 08/24/10 07:56 AM Re: Any Beekeepers? [Re: chatty lady]
Mountain Ash Offline

A local man died recently..He was a beekeeper and had advised many people throughout his long life.Reading his obit.it was clear a great man had passed.His first hive was when he was seven years old.Seems to me to be a worthwhile interest.Working with nature and chanelling living creatures to provide food and pollinate plants and trees.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved