The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#199677 - 02/15/10 06:38 PM Re: Bragging about retirement [Re: Dotsie]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I think I'll be one of those who will occasionally drop in to visit former colleagues at work when I retire. Not because I'll miss work but, because colleagues become friends over the years. I won't pick up lunch tabs though. I'll bring in a cake instead.

I suppose some retirees miss working to some extent and, I would not be surprised if there are a few with misgivings about retiring too soon since there is no compulsory retirement age over here. I suspect that my colleague does miss work. How can he not? He spent most of his lifetime in the profession. Whilst he can volunteer, and he does do that, he must feel stifled because there is a limit to what he can do as a volunteer. Perhaps, he can teach or tutor for exam revisions. I must speak to him about it the next time he comes around.

#203644 - 05/19/10 04:31 PM Re: Bragging about retirement [Re: Lola]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Well, you can either be happy for your friends who have taken early retirement and are enjoying themselves, or you can take it as a personal insult that they are having fun while you are still working.

We are fortunate our friends and family are emotionally secure and fair-minded. They all seem happy that my DH and I were still able to retire while we are still in reasonably good health. They don't seem to mind at all when I send out emails or blog about our travels and fine dining (my family are all serious foodies).

We were lucky that things worked out for us, and are grateful for the opportunities life has given us. Maybe that's the difference between those who seem to brag, and those who don't.

Otherwise, if I thought my friends/family were going to be thin-skinned about our ability to take early retirement, it would severely constrain our ability to say anything at all to them, LOL!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved