The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 176 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#20386 - 03/27/06 12:44 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
leigha Offline

Loc: british columbia
I WISH YOU WELL DOTSIE. I DIDN'T KNOW YOU HAD FIBROUS CYSTIC DISEASE.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR FULL HEALING

LOVE LEIGHA

#20387 - 03/27/06 02:23 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
almostangel Offline

Loc: Kansas City
Dotsie, I have so many friends that have fibrocycstic breast disease that I knew right away what you were talking about. Be sure to have your mamos at least every 6 months. My mother, god rest her soul died of breast cancer at 62 years of age.She had fibroid tumors most of her life and when one turned malignant it went undetected for over a year because she didn't go to the doctor regularly. I have become a strong advocate for mamograms since then.
I also understood what you meant by all the angles flying around BWS. I love to read to forums. The topics vary and I can't help but smile or laugh out loud at some of the comments.

#20388 - 03/28/06 08:22 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
angel, I have another mammo this week. Lucky me.

This is the first one in a long time that has not been a diagnostic one. Typically I have them because I have cycsts and need to get them checked.

My sister is 51 and already a cancer survivor. Fortunately, they caught it at the very earliest stage becasue she also has fibrous cystic disease.

#20390 - 04/06/06 06:41 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, not that's what I call a good attitude!

#20392 - 04/08/06 03:56 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Anne, I meant "now."

I have heard they don't turn into cancer over and over again. However, a spot changed on my sister's mammogram and sure enough it was malignant. So I'm confused.

I'd never heard about them blocking the view of malignancy, but it sure makes sense...especially when you are as loaded with cysts as I am.

Have you heard of anythign that helps, other than staying away from caffeine? Vitamin E works (but stupid me got out of the habit of taking it) but the doctor I saw this tiem said it's a myth. I don't think so.

Maybe I'll begin taking my Vitamin E today. [Wink]

#20393 - 04/13/06 05:08 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Pam R. Offline

Girls, I just had my annual exam with my gyn yesterday. My only complaint to him was my hot flashes. I have had them for about 4 years now but gosh, they really are getting worse. I cannot take hormone therapy since I had a heart attack in 2003 (Imitrex did it), so he won't even consider that kind of cure. But, he said I should check with my cardiologist and ask if I could take the black cohash. He knows it is herbal but he still wants me to be careful. I am up all night with a fan blowing on me and have a desk fan at work. How many more years before they go away????

#20394 - 04/13/06 07:43 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Jeannine Offline

Loc: Georgia, U.S.
Hi Pam...a shame HRT is not an option for you. It has worked wondrously for me.

Well, as a gal who suffered with the hot flashes for some time, before my tests proved I was in full-blown menopause, I can only give you the old oft mentioned remedies, all of which I made use of...Frequent showers during the day, no caffeine, exercise, and then more exercise, meditation, cut down or eliminate sugar from your diet, eat tofu.

You mention you are up all night, and that's called having the night sweats. I used to get up, drenched with perspiration...I'd shower, put on fresh jammies, walk about a bit, read, then hit the bed again. Sometimes this would help. I also drank a great deal of water, all day. At least eight, eight ounce glasses a day. At night, I always had a chilled bottle of water on the nightstand.

How long will this all last? Every woman is different. Just take it one day at a time, Pam...

www.intouchwithjeannine.com

#20395 - 04/13/06 08:02 PM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Check out the bedfan that is advertised on our home page.

#20396 - 04/19/06 05:06 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
TizLizzy Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hello All. I'm so glad and (I feel), so fortunate to have found a site like this, I can't tell you what it means to me. For one thing, I'm truly no longer alone and don't feel quite as crazy as I thought I was/am. It's good to see other people talking about the same things I am going through, not that I'm glad to see them suffer, but is this what they mean by "misery loves company"? I'm 58 yrs and I have had symptoms,(one or another)for the last 7-8 years. This last 2 years has been the worst. A nightmare. My doc took me off HRT and refused to put me back on it. Mind you, he offered no alternative or knowlege or direction. Nothing. I have told him so many times how horrible this is and how miserable I am, but he just gives me a bland look and a kind of muffled "sorry". I'm so outraged at the med. community. I think they have almost been irresponsible in this area. Then I recently found out I have heart disease, and I have to be careful of almost everything. I'm so confused about what's what. It seems like so many things or products have such different reactions for so many different women. I can't figure out even a "basic" formula. I hear alot about black cohash, which I take, but doesn't seem to do much for me. Also, Maca, which I'm looking for. And Soy, which due to this thread and a kind soul sharing info, I have just started. I also take Evening Primrose. Then there is:Dhea, progesterone, etc.etc. My biggest problem is the hot flashes, hot/cold body, and depression. Maybe worst then that is not knowing when this is going to end. I have 24 of the listed symptoms, and lately I have had breathing problems, like not getting enough of a breath. Someone describes it as "air gulping". It's torture. No one around here understands. I guess if your not sneezing and coughing, they don't think your sick, and certainly not sick for 9 years! It's absurd , isn't it? Why, why, why don't they have help/answers for us? Why do we have to flounder like this? Sometimes I think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown, if I haven't already, and that would mean my life would be over. But most of the time I just keep hanging on, begging for it to be over today. I can't remember the last time I put on my makeup, that by the time I'm putting on the last "improvement", it looks like I should start all over again, cause the makeup is now running down my face, washed away from the uncontrollable sweat/storm/deluge. Ridiculous! Well, thanks for listening. Sorry for the ranting, but I feel better for releasing some of the anger. I do have a question. Does anybody have any information about if the thyroid plays a part or contributes to this?

#20397 - 04/19/06 07:05 AM Re: Hot flashes anyone??
Pam R. Offline

I feel like you are writing about my life TizLizzy! Well almost! My flashes are horrible for the last 4 years. I have a heart condition so hormone therapy is off limits. The dr. just prescribed black cohash last week (haven't started it yet) and really had no other advice for me either. As I have mentioned in other posts, I run a fan at night on my side of the bed, have a fan at work on my desk, drink no caffeine and exercise often. What more can I do? This is simply a waiting game, waiting for it to end. But you are right, how long do we wait? My mom swears she didn't suffer like I do but I seem to remember her having a horrible time when I was in high school. Maybe she has forgotten and we will too! Good Luck!

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved