The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 183 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#202981 - 05/03/10 05:16 PM Collections
Chives Offline

I am interested in suggestions on how to dispose of my mothers collection of cookbooks. I know I can always donate them to the library, try to sell them on ebay or Craigs list. I was hoping I could find a fresh idea like donate to a silent auction or fund raising event. After watching "Hoarders" on TV I realize I have an emotional attachment to them because they were special to Mom. I've had these 2 bookcases full of books for over 30 years. Also 4 or 5 old quilts my grandmother made. I've searched online and Yahoo groups but people are usually looking for recipes. For a long time I had the idea that when this time of my life arrived, I would have found a great project to do in my spare time with these recipes/books. My good friend says "No one wants cookbooks any more. They can find recipes online" Lets start a new topic addressing our Collections.
Thanks.

#202982 - 05/03/10 05:23 PM Re: Collections [Re: Chives]
Mountain Ash Offline

Something of that era may be of interest to heritage projects..a new generation may be interested in yesteryear.
we have museums where homes are laid out in each decade and its fun looking at things I remember when I see them..for example Knitting patterns and womens' magazines.Toys from my era..
that way many people will have pleasure from the books..

#202984 - 05/03/10 06:39 PM Re: Collections [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Unless these older cookbooks have specific local focus of historic value and are first edition hardcover books, if you should donate to an existing local library, those books might be given away or sold in a fundraising campaign for the library to acquire new books.

Public libraries are under pressure in terms of space planning for the future and always, the budget to buy new books.

Is there a culinary school in your region that you could email to the school director to gauge the level of interest for your collection by the students themselves? If you are serious about this, it might be more efficient to provide a list of the book titles or at least the type of cuisine these books may cover. if you blog, post that list or photo of choice texts online.

I suspect the nature of the recipes may have changed to reflect changed regional dietary preferences of today. Those cookbooks could be great examples....not all, but some titles.

Or to go to a foodblogger's website living in your area and make arrangements to send electronic info about your collection.

Just some ideas. Promote it to the audience who would best value the cookbooks/recipes for many different reasons.

OR if there is new restaurant opening up, would they want a few as part of their "decor"?

From a librarian. smile

#202987 - 05/03/10 07:20 PM Re: Collections [Re: orchid]
Chives Offline

I appreciate your suggestions. I believe I should have a booklist of some kind as these books are on shelves in the basement. If I came across a hot lead I would be willing to jump into action and maybe even buy some software or tech devise to create the list. So far I have decided to wait ( now that I've posted here) awhile for the hot lead.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved