The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#202837 - 04/29/10 09:38 PM Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I'm making the decision tomorrow on either a new metal roof or another asphalt one.

Anyone here know the pros and cons of a metal vs. asphalt? I've done some research and found that the metal ones have a much longer warranty, and there is something underneath the metal to keep the sound down when heavy rain or hail comes along, and that it supposedly will outlast the asphalt.

My roofing guy says he can give me a metal one for the same price as the asphalt.

What do you think?

#202841 - 04/29/10 11:56 PM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ha, yes!! You are asking the right person. I built a website for a metal roofing manufacturer: http://www.met-tile.com/

This particular brand is rated very high for hurricanes, but it is probably 4-5 times more expensive than a regular asphalt shingle roof.

I have a friend who has one, and she has been pleased.

If this guy can do a metal one for the same price, I would be sure to check the brand and warranty; they are NOT all the same at all. Some are just laid up there, and others such as Met-Tile, have very specific installation instructions to join the pieces together to avoid leakage, sound issues, and wind damage.

That being said, they come in some awesome colors now. Let me know what you decide.

Here are some links that might be helpful:
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/roofing-materials-asphalt-versus-metal

http://home-exteriors.suite101.com/article.cfm/shingle_roofs_vs_metal_roofs

#202845 - 04/30/10 12:26 AM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Metal sounds like bullets pelting the roof when it rains (noisy) where as asphalt is much quieter. Those are the only pros cons I have ever heard on the subject of roofs. Does one hold the heat and/or air conditioning better?

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#202852 - 04/30/10 04:42 AM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

They have "stuff" they put between the metal an the foundation of the roof now chatty where the noise isn't a factor.

From everything I've read, including the links you gave me, Kathy, the metal roof wins, hands down. Hmm....tomorrow will tell the tale!

#203009 - 05/03/10 11:58 PM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
So what did you decide JJ? Did you get a new roof? Just wondering...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#203018 - 05/04/10 02:15 AM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

As it turned out, he wanted MORE money for the metal so I said do the asphalt. They should start in a few weeks. Thanks for asking!

#203043 - 05/04/10 07:16 PM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: jawjaw]
Mountain Ash Offline

Will this work involve you moving while its done or just wearing a hard hat?

#203046 - 05/04/10 08:22 PM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: Mountain Ash]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

No, nothing on my part except putting up with the noise. They'll have it done in one day, two at the most.

#203061 - 05/04/10 10:59 PM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: jawjaw]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I think you made the smart choice JJ...:)

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#203514 - 05/15/10 01:28 AM Re: Asphalt or Metal - pros and cons [Re: AvalonBlondi]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
We need a new roof too, and estimates I got were around 10K. eek I'm waiting for summer so I have time to just up and leave when it gets too noisy. Haven't done any research yet on what type.

Poet and essayist

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved