The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#201325 - 03/24/10 03:58 PM Are We Headed For Encore Careers?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just read an interesting article about Boomers and encore careers. The author, Maryanne Mobeley, is a woman I respect, and she's saying that by 2018 -- which is NOT THAT FAR AWAY -- we Boomers will be dominating the workforce, in our new roles -- encore careerists.

Here's a link to her article. I'd be curious as to what you think. Are you looking forward to retirement at the traditional age, or would you love to do an encore?

Here's the post: Baby Boomer Insights http://bit.ly/9HBfvR
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201333 - 03/24/10 05:55 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I just read this article Anne and feel slightly hopeful for the future after doing so..My husband lost his executive job at the age of 50 when the mega corporation he worked for went down for the count...all due to a very greedy CEO and immoral Board of Directors..he has since started a Sales Consulting firm working with smaller companies within his industry..but it hasn't always been easy and he has gone up against much younger , less experienced men when bidding for a client and lost some because the media in this country teaches our children that youth is to be revered and old people should be hidden away...I so admire my husband for going out everyday and fighting the fight...I am hoping he will feel better after he reads this article as well...
He says he will never retire...but I wish he could find an encore career and feel happy about the future and not so nostalgic for the ways things use to be...do you know what I mean?

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#201348 - 03/24/10 09:36 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: AvalonBlondi]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My encore career started when I was in my sixties and already collecting social security in order to be covered by Medicare Insurance... Kind of like the best of both worlds.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201638 - 03/30/10 01:44 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: chatty lady]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am retiring from my second career this spring. My first was 15 years in retail management. Now I am retiring from 20 years in education. I don't know what I will do next, but I will have another career. Will it be an encore career???? Or just another passion to follow?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#201725 - 04/01/10 04:40 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: AvalonBlondi]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: AvalonBlondi
..but it hasn't always been easy and he has gone up against much younger , less experienced men when bidding for a client and lost some because the media in this country teaches our children that youth is to be revered and old people should be hidden away...I so admire my husband for going out everyday and fighting the fight...I am hoping he will feel better after he reads this article as well...
He says he will never retire...but I wish he could find an encore career and feel happy about the future and not so nostalgic for the ways things use to be...do you know what I mean?

It is useful for highly experienced folks not to be too nostalgic about the past (jobs). Otherwise it's even harder for him to see opportunities around the edges.

Hope he has an interest outside of work that keeps him afloat, AvalonBlondi.

#201765 - 04/02/10 04:03 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi AvalonBlondi,

I have such empathy for what you and your husband are encountering. I have coached many Boomers who lost their jobs in similar situations and decided to start a biz of their own.

I'm a big supporter of entrepreneurial activities, but you are to be commended as much as your husband. Why? Because people who decide to strike out on their own WILL be challenged. And they need a good support system...

In fact, without spousal support and understanding, the road to entrepreneurial success can be incredibly lonely and wearing.

I am so thankful that Steve and I are in business together, and working "shoulder to shoulder," since it means we know what the other is experiencing.

I'm not saying you need to work with your husband ON THE JOB, but you are an immeasurable support to him with your understanding of what he is undertaking!

Cheers! (And I'm glad you're going to share the article with him.)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201809 - 04/03/10 04:10 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anne Holmes]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Thanks Anne..I have been my husband's Number One Cheerleader for almost 35 years...he is a an amazing man and I am so glad that he is mine...He also felt hopeful after reading the article...Thanks again.

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#201812 - 04/03/10 11:58 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Mountain Ash Offline

You say Nancy

"I have been my husband's Number One Cheerleader for almost 35 years...he is a an amazing man and I am so glad that he is mine..."

I like hearing that..lucky you and lucky husband..
Despite having different work interests we too supported each other in a positive way.

#201818 - 04/03/10 02:43 PM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I love hearing those same words, too, Avalon. There are many of us here on BWS that feel blessed for our partners, and they for us. I am happy to hear that you and your husband are supportive of each other.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#212072 - 04/13/11 09:04 AM Re: Are We Headed For Encore Careers? [Re: Anno]
KathySmith Offline

*New to this site* This topic caught my attention. When I was 58, my ex-husband and I retired from the real estate business. We travelled around and crossed some places off the old bucket list. Somewhere in New Zealand I realized I needed to leave the marriage. Long story. I went back to school for a year and started a career in the non profit sector. I don't make as much money but the work is very satisfying. I have no desire to retire anymore....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved