The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#20179 - 06/29/05 06:07 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
sandpiper, my sister is doing well. Thanks for asking. She was very fortunate. They caught it in the earliest stage. Actually, the rdiologist who read her mammogram didn't catch it. By the grace of God she has all test results sent to her GP. He's the one whose keen eye caught it.

Chick, I think living a full life helps all ailments. Unfortunately, some ailments keep us from living a full life. I'm a firm believer in keeping the mind busy. However, I also believe we need to intentionally take time to dig within our souls each day. Being busy is good, but so is seeking peace to figure out what to keep busy with. Make sense?

#20180 - 06/29/05 06:09 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
wordcharmer Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yes Chickadee:

What does influence the time of menopause? Genetics are a key factor. The age at which your mother stopped her periods may be similar to when you stop your menstrual periods. And, women who smoke cigarettes experience menopause two years earlier, on average, than nonsmoking women.

My grandmother had a baby when she was 50. My mom was pregnant with me at the same time! I can't imagine that! Once I reached 40, I was looking forward to my empty nest! Not adding to it! Lol!

#20181 - 06/30/05 04:29 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie, I am glad to hear that your sister is doing great. I am still waiting for my mammogram appointment. I wonder why the radiologist didn't detect it, having read so many? Your sister was lucky her GP had a keen eye.

Your comments about being busy makes good sense. Digging within our souls helps create the balance we need to live the full life we so desire.

Wordcharmer, empty nest syndrome vs babies at 40 or 50? We need that time for grand babies, not more kids, don't we?

Anyone here have children later in life or a change of life baby as Mom's generation called it?

chick

#20182 - 07/01/05 07:40 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Joanna Brandt Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Greetings!

I just met Dotsie last night and had to get onto this site. Thanks so much for making this forum possible. Keep up the great work!

I am 55 (look and feel 35), a holistic health educator and certified yoga teacher. I started having sleep problems at 50. Before that I slept like a baby. Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC)--traditional herbs-- solved the sleep problem.

I have night sweats when I eat chocolate or spicy foods. The only other time is just before my period, when estrogen is at it's lowest. I'm working to balance that naturally and will keep you posted on my success.

I teach women that we have choices and what these choices are. It is not just a choice between an uncomfortable menopause transition or taking drugs.

Thank goodness we are all laughing about it, though.

You have questions--we have answers.

First for Dotsie,

When do the symptoms end? The menopause transition comes in three stages, perimenopaue, menopausal climax and post-menopause. Symptoms begin during perimenopause, a time much like puberty, where the hormonal balance is changing. Menopausal climax includes the actual date of menopause--one year after the last period. It also includes a year or two on either side of menopause. During the menopausal climax the symptoms are the most severe. Post-menopause is the rest of your life, when the changes are established and healthy women experience new ZEST!

Will the symptoms go away? That depends on many things. But the most important factors are healthy diet, regular exercise, stress reduction and positive attitude. Study after study shows these four factors to be much more powerful than HRT in promoting a smooth transition and a healthy life.

As this is my first post, I am may be repeating the closing, and it is worth repeating.
Remember: "It's not a hot flash, it's a power surge!"

Regards,
Joanna

#20183 - 07/01/05 07:55 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Joanna, I'm interested in the chinese medicines you mentioned. Where do you buy them?

#20184 - 07/01/05 07:56 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Joanna, I can't get into your website...

Welcome to BWS. You are in for a great experience here. You'll see. You met Dotsie? In person?

I am going to ask a question,so here goes.

My best friend cannot sleep. She gets very little and it interferes with functioning the next day, This has been going on for a few years. She is 51 and peri-menopausal.(we think) She has tried everything under the sun as is always opened to suggestions of what to do next. TMC?

What do you recommend and what has research said about it?

chick

#20185 - 07/12/05 07:29 AM Re: question about when menopause ends
Joanna Brandt Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
Dear Chick,

Thanks for your question. I would love to be able to give advise but there are so many reasons for sleeplessness. Since she has already "Tried everything" I don't want to waste her time giving unhelpful suggestions. Like a doctor, I would need the whole story before I could make a diagnosis.

Sorry about the website glitch. I put the name in wrong, but it is now correct: www.yogahealth.us.

One book I recommend for anyone wanting to take control of her menopausal symptoms is Dr. Christiane's Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause."

Now let me answer the other question that keeps coming up-- What is TMC. You are probalby familiar with one aspect of Traditional Chinese Medicine-- accupuncture. Another aspect is a long tradition of herbal remedies. Dr. Northrup uses "Quality of Life Herbs" which you can find on the Internet. See also page 550-551 of her book.

Keep me posted.

#20186 - 07/11/05 11:34 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Joanna, great seeing you here. Thanks for answering my question. It's something I've never been certain of in the past.

I take Yasmin, a low dose of the pill for peri-menopausal symptoms. It's working very well. It's interesting because the week I take the blanks I've awakened with night sweats. I can't believe what a difference the medicine makes.

Are you against taking the pill during perimenopause? If so, why? What would you recommend?

#20187 - 08/03/05 04:54 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
Hey Dots,
The play has already been done.

It was a musical comedy. I wrote, directed, and performed "Hormones, Hormones, Hormones" with a couple of grilfriends in 1998. We did it for an international medical conference.
The song lyrics were published in their international newsletter (is that a hoot or not?) and NBC came out here and filmed the whole thing.
I got to go to California to sign the papers, etc. for it to go on TV (met with a bunch of rich looking people - and Jay Leno?) But at the last moment it was scrapped.... Bummer. But it was a lot of fun.

smile

Wow, Smile! I'd love to hear more about this! Maybe we could revive your work. I could post it on my site and there's no telling what would happen since the site has already been shown on CNN and other media. [Smile]

#20188 - 08/03/05 05:35 PM Re: question about when menopause ends
MinniePauz Offline

Loc: Michigan
quote:
Originally posted by Sandpiper:
I haven't had surgery or anything. About 10 years ago I found out I had fibroids but have learned to live with them. A couple of years ago when I had a Pap the Dr. said they had gotten so small she could barely detect them.
I am now 55 and still having that dang period. Sometimes it is normal, other times it flows everywhere and then again there is the clotting. All of this I could live without.
My mother had a partial hysterectemy so don't know how early she would have stopped. My twin just had a complete hysterectemy because of endometrial cancer. My older sister just stopped after she had breast cancer surgery. So I have no idea just how long I'll continue.
Does anyone have any ideas on how long we can go? I read some women can go till they are in their 60's. Please God enough.

It does seem like we're on a forever hormone adventure, doesn't it? One problem in answering your question is that no two women are exactly alike....even twins. [Smile]

Since we don't know what we're going to experience exactly, the best way to deal with it is to educate ourselves on the possibilities. It takes awhile to gather ALL the information available, but by talking on boards like this, women are helping each other to know what to expect and that takes some of the fear and confusion out of the process.

1. Realize this is a natural process and you're NOT going crazy or turning into a hypochondriac!

2. Some women start "changing" in their late 30's and some don't start until late 50's. The average age for menopause (which is after having no period (or spotting) for 12 months) is 51. My periods stopped cold when I was 42...I'm 57 now and still "heat up" sometimes. Actually, I just stay perpetually warm, so don't tolerate heat at all!

3. Attitude DOES have a lot to do with it, but the physical problems are real too and you have a right to seek a solution that works for you. Some doctors are still telling us to "get over it". You need to find a new doctor if yours is not working with you to improve how you're feeling.

4. I created Minnie Pauz(R) to help women realize they're not alone and that there IS a lighter side to all this. We need to accept that we are getting older and that doesn't have to mean we're dead! Far from it....it can be a wonderful time of confidence and freedom if we take advantage of all the info and support that's available. Most of all, let's have fun!!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved