The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199938 - 02/22/10 02:08 AM Breakfast foods?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What does everyone eat for breakfast? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm so sick of my cereal and occasional banana. I'm not a big breakfast eater, not reaaly in to making eggs or anything like that. Just wondering what everyone else does. I'm looking for something healthy and possibly without carbs, but am open to anything.

#199942 - 02/22/10 02:28 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Dots try buying a bag of frozen mixed veges and a carton of egg beaters omelet mix. Then in some butter or msrgarine, whatever you prefer, add some chopped onion (chop a large one ahead and keep in fridge) some of the frozen veges and then the egg mix. This makes a 'fast' and delicious omelet. I also add some cheese.

I love a bagel with cream cheese fruit and cup of hot tea.

Or try some fresh berries with cream. I add mine to oatmeal usually.

Or what about toaster waffles also frozen, quick and easy topped with berries.

You can have whatever you want for breakfast, no one says it has to be breakfast food as long as you eat something to start your day off right.

My mother likes chipped beef on toast or she'll eat a piece of broiled fish topped with cheese and a side of veges. Mom is 89 going to be 90 in April and has never been overweight one pound.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199945 - 02/22/10 03:32 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: chatty lady]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: chatty lady
You can have whatever you want for breakfast, no one says it has to be breakfast food as long as you eat something to start your day off right.

My mother likes chipped beef on toast or she'll eat a piece of broiled fish topped with cheese and a side of veges. Mom is 89 going to be 90 in April and has never been overweight one pound.

Chatty, maybe your mother ate the bigger meal of day at breakfast?

Dotsie, I'm pretty boring and I know it. Not alot of vast variation at home for breakfast. Usually it's half cup of microwaved oatmeal with 1/2 cup of skim milk. Plus tea with milk. Often with a fresh fruit on side and that will depend what's in season. That's why I love local fruit in season time. Sometimes will have a small slice of fat-free artisanal bread that we buy from our favourite bakery. (could be rosemary-olive bread, cranberry-pistachio bread, fig-anise bread...)

It's quick and easy because often I'm jumping onto a bike afterwards.

But when we go on vacation, I do have bigger breakfasts, often because it's part of the hotel deal. But when that happens, I tend to make that big breakfast...more like a brunch. If there's a long bike ride for the day meaning well over 70 kms., then I do try to eat a bigger breakfast..with at least 1 hr. to digest if possible,..before cycling.

I haven't prepared eggs for breakfast in the last....15 yrs. But I will have an egg if we vacation somewhere for breakfast and if convenient/makes sense for stomach at that time. smile

I tend to prepare eggs for supper, ie. egg stir fry dishes, scrambled or omelet with veggies, savory egg custard, etc....for supper. It would be protein, in lieu of any meat for me. I personally find eggs almost too heavy for breakfast...unless I cut back on supper or go on a long bike ride.

Jack makes his own breakfast, he tends to like his fat-free yogurt with his own homemade applesauce (that he makes huge batches in advance), maybe a bagel or slice of bread and orange juice. I could not eat bagels often for breakfast.

#199992 - 02/23/10 01:51 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Orchid, do you or Jack have an easy authentic recipe for fried rice? I have a couple but mine never seems to taste like what I can get in the oriental restaurants and I like making my own.

Oh, and yes mother always eats her main meal of the day at breakfast time. My step father worked as the baker for their bakery so he worked 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. everyday, and when he got home it was his dinner time so mother made dinner then. Then before he left for work at night he had breakfast, usually cereal, fruit, toast and coffee. He also carried a sandwich for his lunch. That went on for 25 years until his passing. She still does the same thing only for herself...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200018 - 02/23/10 03:53 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks. I love the idea of veggie omelets, but don't like to eat too many eggs, however will definitely do this occasionally.

I love fruit, but this time of year berries are pretty expensive so I eat lots of bananas with my cereal. Getting bored. Spring is coming!

I also eat big breakfasts on vacation. When we were in Aruba, we had a breakfast buffet every morning. By the last day, it had grown old.

#200022 - 02/23/10 04:00 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Dotsie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
I usually pop a frozen waffle into the toaster first thing, just to get something in my stomach with the morning meds. Then, a couple of hours later, I have yogurt with fruit. My body chemistry has changed. I used to be able to have cookies and coffee for breakfast. I don't drink coffee anymore. About 4 months ago, after having coffee since I was 15, I just stopped. Just stopped! Didn't even think about it. No cravings, no missing it, no nothing. Hmm, I wish I could just stop with some of my other bad habits, or just "start" exercise in the AM. About the body chemistry: my husband has been laid off since November. The blessing in this is that he is such a good cook. We call our kitchen "Woody's restaurant and bakery." I've been eating sweets for 4 months. Yesterday morning, I decided to have a applesauce walnut spice cupcake with cream cheese frosting. I was thinking of the good ingredients: eggs, applesauce, walnuts. No more than 15 minutes after eating it, I had a total body crash. I was deek and wizzy, I mean weak and dizzy, nauseated, and I had to lay down. This happened to me a couple of times during the holidays. Now I know it's for real, a hypo-glycemic rise and fall. So, back to the waffles and yogurt!

#200044 - 02/24/10 12:38 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a toasted English muffin with pomegranate seeds and fat free cream cheese.....or an egg beaters scrambled with one laughing cow cheese on top of a toasted English muffin or a piece of dry toast. Or...oatmeal with a banana and some Stevia...or...Special K cereal with strawberries...or chocolate. Hey, I never said I was perfect.

#200050 - 02/24/10 01:35 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: jawjaw]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
what is Stevia? Laughing Cow cheese sounds like a good choice.

#200051 - 02/24/10 05:28 AM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: Princess Lenora]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Stevia is a sweetener that takes the place of sugar, sweet-n-low, splenda, etc...it is suppose to be better for you.

#200057 - 02/24/10 02:03 PM Re: Breakfast foods? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I've been tempted to try the Chocolate Cheerios, but am refraining. I eat the basic Cheerios probably five days a week. Boring.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved