The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#199552 - 02/13/10 03:00 AM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Thanks. Ellen. I may just go "out" myself if he does not, at least, SAY something.

#199562 - 02/13/10 02:36 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Di]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Di...have you read the book 'the five love languages?' If you and your husband could do this, he'd see that one of your languages is receiving gifts (which comes from celebrating holidays together)...a big one of mine, too.
I'd asked and asked and asked and do for him what I'd like have done for me...he still didn't get it. I just got more hurt feelings. When I learned of this book he and I read it together and almost instantly he understood my language and began responding to it. I knew his as well and some of the things I'd done for him in the past, he could have cared less because it wasn't HIS language. I just thought I was doing something wrong.
If your sweetie is open to reading this very small book it will open his eyes big time and if he cares, he'll understand your needs and act on them. Larry's very, very open to books that help us communicate better....he's the one who first introduced them to our relationship and I thought that was so cool.
Part of Larry's inaction was laziness and part of it was fear of me not liking what he picked out...I told him I'd love whatever he gave me because it came from him...that has helped and he really tries and is so much better than he used to be.
Word of advice...if you have a future-daughter-in-law, don't send any self-help-book to her or your son even though they've both told you about major problems they're having, because once the DIL sees it she will hate you for the rest of your life and eject you from their lives.

#199580 - 02/13/10 09:29 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Dee]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
There are some great ideas here. I have another.

Have you ever talked to him honestly about this? I think that if he knows how much it means to you, he might make an effort. And if he does, don't find fault, but rather, praise him and thank him for any effort at all.

#199602 - 02/14/10 05:36 AM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

My sweet Larry is working on Valentie's day so we had ours today...he gave me a beautiful pair of Saphire earrings...wow, I was blown away. I'm babysitting my neighbor's children and we got cards and put them in Larry's lunch box. Larry's not a chocolate person so I bought a box of chocolates, took them out (for me later smile and filled the box with candies he does like. I added this box with the cards as a surprise in his lunchbox...the kids were thrilled and it will give him something to open tomorrow.
Katy and Coley's parents are having a date night and I volunteered to let the kids spend the night...we had such a good time. Mr. Larry (as they call him) helped Coley put together a train set...it was so cute, while Katy and I did girl stuff. I finally got the kids to sleep while reading them Charlotte's Web...it reminded me of my own kids when they were little and I would read them to sleep. It has been a wonderful day.

#199607 - 02/14/10 03:11 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Dee]
Di Offline

So far, all I got is a "oh, is it Valentine's Day?"

Let's see how the day progresses. whistle

#199615 - 02/14/10 06:13 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Di]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dee, I loved reading your post...you are so sweet and thoughtful...your Larry is a lucky guy...sounds like he knows that though..Sapphire earrings!!! Woo Hoo...you go girl!!!

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#199617 - 02/14/10 06:28 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Dee Offline

AvalonBlondi...you're so sweet, too...I hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day.
Di...keep us posted on your Valentine's Day...I hope they get better...maybe he's saving a surprise for later in the day...(fingers crossed)!!!

#199623 - 02/14/10 07:19 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Dee]
Di Offline

Well, I don't expect anything. I gave him my very lovely card and the DVD from "the dogs". He appreciated it and just thanked me.

Oh, well, It's my fault I guess. If someone WANTS to give a gift, they will. Guess he does not want to. Oh well.....I'd better not think more highly of myself than I ought to! If I want something THAT badly, I'll get it myself. Ho hum.

#199625 - 02/14/10 07:45 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Di]
Dee Offline

Di, it's not thinking too highly of yourself to expect your spouse to surprise you with something. I'm sorry sweetie...sending you lots of hugs...
Tell you what...why don't you call the floriest and order yourself a big bouquet of flowers and have them delivered...from a secret admirer!!!
Happy Valentine's Day anyway!

#199637 - 02/14/10 09:59 PM Re: A spouse who does not "do" holidays. [Re: Dee]
greene Offline

Loc: Atlanta,Georgia
My valentines gift was a bag of Hershey's kisses tossed in my lap on his way in from the grocery store. I just remind myself that at least he did go do the grocery shopping and then washed 3 loads of clothes while he watched races on TV. So I guess it is all a matter of trade-offs. I put a lot of effort into remembering to be grateful for what he does and remembering how much I hate the grocery store and washing clothes. I look at those as my 'love gifts' and when the longing for the rest of the package starts have learned to be content with the parts of the package I do have.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved