The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#19935 - 01/31/04 03:25 PM The pill?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Has anyone ever heard of using the pill to help with perimenopause symptoms? I heard it helps with cramps, flow, and anxiety/moods. [Wink]

The only time I was ever on it was when I had an ovarian tumor the size of a golf ball. They put me on it to see if it would help shrink it. A month later (the day after we got back from our honeymoon) I was in the hospital having a grapefruit [Eek!] sized tumor removed, along with the ovary! So much for that theory. [Mad]

#19936 - 01/31/04 06:38 PM Re: The pill?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I believe the pill reduces perimenopausal discomfort by regulating hormone activity. Because boomers are such a large market for pharmaceutical companies and more of us are entering midlife, we may soon begin to see that aspect of the pill more highly publicized.

There is some evidence that we may need to experience the discomfort of perimenopause and menopause in order to prepare our bodies for post menopause. I suppose it depends on how intense the discomfort is.

Natural remedies might allow your body to chose the hormones it needs and have fewer side effects. Pharmaceuticals are synthesized and relief is generally more immediate though so if a condition requires immediate relief, pharmaceuticals are probably the best answer. Side effects have to be considered however. Some can be very serious. It's a trade off.

smile

I have a friend who is in her seventies. She takes the pill and still has periods. Why??
But at least they're regular and cramp free. [Smile] ????

#19937 - 02/01/04 04:01 AM Re: The pill?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
WHY??? is the question for sure. Why would anyone want to deal with 60!! years of mess and possible leakage, even if she doesn't have cramps??!! There are many things I miss about my younger days, and periods ain't one of them.

#19938 - 02/02/04 04:18 AM Re: The pill?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Birth control pills are otherwise also known as hormone replacement therapy. About two years ago an ob/gyn doc told me, "it's not as if at your age you're likely to have children. Let's take out the plumbing." And after that I would have to go on HRT and with that an increase in (breast) cancer. The doc and I went round and round with me having the last word...no. He told me I would be back within the year, crawling on my hands and knees to beg him for HRT to help with menopause symptons. Gee, haven't seen him for over 2 years now.

I started taking vitamins and natural supplements and it's been fine. The power surges are milder to non-existent and other symptons infrequent as well.

Ask yourself if there is a GOOD reason to take HRT. Usually, there's not (unless one considers helping others make boat payments - haha) and the increased health risks more than negate the inconvenience of putting up with a few side effects.

You've taken a step in the right direction...asking questions and seeking what is right for you. It could be, after time, you decide HRT is right for you...but make it YOUR decision.

#19939 - 02/02/04 05:22 AM Re: The pill?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
As a breast cancer survivor and activist, I'm all too aware of the strong correlation between HRT and increasing breast cancer rates. Excuse my morbid sense of humor, but which would you rather have: hot flashes or chemotherapy?

I didn't have that choice (and never had HRT either.)

Phytoestrogens (plant-based) and moderate exercise are considered helpful in alleviating peri- and menopausal symptoms.

As a society, we're too eager to take the latest "miracle" pills or cures, rather than experience any inconvenience. We're too passive about our health, preferring quick fixes.

And possible complications be damned.

#19940 - 02/02/04 06:53 PM Re: The pill?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
ABSOLUTELY! Meredithbead, you've hit the crux of it...hot flashes or chemo. Women have been going thru menopause for thousands of years. Why and when did we turn into a bunch of wimps? I know there are some who have terrible, terrible symptons. Then there's my friend who said, "I just don't want to feel bad." WHAT??? Dear God. Then she had a hyst...how do you spell that anyway? Don't know, don't care cause I plan on never having one of those either.

#19941 - 02/03/04 08:15 AM Re: The pill?
smilinize Offline

Meredith and Thistle,

I agree.

I say, I AM MENOPAUSAL!! HEAR ME ROAR!!

smile

#19942 - 02/06/04 06:57 PM Re: The pill?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Ladies, I was seriously considering going on the pill to help these perimenopausal issues. Now after listenting to you, I question myself. I guess I need to take more of the Evening Primrose stuff. Any other thoughts? I take a multi, Vitamin E, Evening Primrose Oil, and Calcium. [Wink] Thanks!

#19943 - 02/06/04 07:41 PM Re: The pill?
smilinize Offline

Dotsie,

I can identify with the nutty symptoms of menopause. You'd think we would get a little rest at this point in life. Shucks, I've not had periods in twenty years, but because I still have ovaries, I get menopause.

Enough belly achin' from me.

Black Kohash and soy help with the symptoms some.

smile

[ February 06, 2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#19944 - 02/07/04 03:39 PM Re: The pill?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, thanks. Black Kohash it will be then! [Wink]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved