The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#19883 - 05/26/03 02:37 PM Melatonin
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I've been doing some research on different alternatives to hormone replacement treatment. The difference I noticed more when I stopped taking my estrogen lately (I went back on it until I could find better alternatives) is the insomnia ---- (soy absolutely STOPPED my hot flashes/night sweats the first day I started taking it)

Has anyone tried melatonin? This is what one website said about it.

Reset Your Internal Clock For Restful Sleep, Used for Immune System also at this dosage Melatonin is the hormone responsible for sleep and for regulating bio-rhythms. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland and its levels sharply decline with age. Melatonin deficiency results in many of the concerns associated with aging: sleep dysfunction, increased stress-related diseases, reduced levels of immunity and greater susceptibility to free radical-related diseases

If soy stops my hot flashes and this will allow me to sleep -- I may just be able to survive menopause without hormorne replacement drugs [Smile]

#19884 - 05/26/03 06:09 PM Re: Melatonin
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I am not at the menopause stage yet, but I am taking notes from all of you wise women who are going before me. [Big Grin]

I'm sure you can't wait to get to the other side! LOL...Reminds me of when we were preteens and everyone was getting their periods. NO one wanted to be the last.

Now, all those women who have gone before are on the other side, waiting to welcome us with open arms. The ole, been there done that, and got a t-shirt. Maybe we should sell t-shirts that have to do with having menopause behind us. I am sure someone could come up with something clever. [Wink] [Big Grin] [Eek!]

#19885 - 05/27/03 03:09 AM Re: Melatonin
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I take a soy tablet in the morning -- not all the other soy products on the market. Like my pharmacists says -- use with caution because there really hasn't been the kinda of research on the natural supplements as there has been on the drugs doctors prescribe. It kinda scares me a little to use something I don't know much about.

What are your thoughts on St Johns Wart ?

Dotsie -- I'm going to get a t-shirt made for me that says HONK IF PARTS FALL OFF [Big Grin]

#19886 - 06/01/03 03:43 PM Re: Melatonin
40something Offline

I don't know about St. John's Wart for menopausal symptoms, but I tried it a few years back. Whenever I was out in the summer heat, even in the shade, I felt like I was on fire! Didn't work for me.

#19887 - 06/01/03 04:31 PM Re: Melatonin
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
Back on Feb.16 I said something about soy isoflavones.I've been taking the capsules for years and notice a marked difference,especially in night sweats when I don't.I've never heard anything bad about too much soy. In fact back in my vegetarian,healthy days soy was a major source of "protein" for me.I go to a health food store to get my capsules now.They say they are pretty free of everything. I haven't heard about all the chemical stuff about soy.Can you give me some resources so I can get more info on this?
Thanks for the info on Melatonin.I will try it. Now this I've heard you can take too much of. Anyone else hear the same?

#19888 - 06/01/03 04:33 PM Re: Melatonin
caloona Offline

Loc: baltimore
Forgot to ask. How much Melatonin needed to get a good night's sleep?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved