The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197522 - 01/11/10 04:19 PM 1 question...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Is that Facebook virus mentioned in another thread, a true
problem or not? I was communicating with my granddaughters
on there and then stopped, due to DD's mentioning of a virus.
I haven't heard anything about it lately and have read posts
where other BWS members talk about using Facebook. So I'm
wondering if it is a real threat or just an isolated incident? Please advise! Thanks!

#197523 - 01/11/10 04:25 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Which one? There are many...

#197576 - 01/12/10 02:46 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Jawjaw,
What does which 1 refer 2: more than 1 Facebook, or more than 1 virus? Again, there are many what? viruses on Facebook?

#197578 - 01/12/10 02:58 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: jabber]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Hi Jabber,
It is a real threat. My friend lost about a week of work because she had to have her computer repaired and recover all her files.

Just because it is a real threat, that doesn't mean it will happen to you. There are millions and millions of people using Facebook.

What you have to be careful about are emails sent to you from Facebook (and yes, they are real emails), and they take you to your page (yes, your real page) where someone has commented about something that will intrigue you and you follow the link. It's that link that could get you into trouble.

In this case, the link took us to a video to watch and asked us to update our viewing software so we could see it. My friend clicked on that link and it was all over for her. Fortunately I knew better and was okay.

There are software programs that these people make that upload all kinds of threats to all kinds of social networking sites, no just Facebook. But Facebook seems to experience more than their fair share.

I stopped using Facebook because of the threat, but I wasn't active on it anyway. If you are active and want to continue doing it, follow these bits of advice:

1. Never click on a link in an email. Go directly to the website and check it out there. (That didn't help on this Facebook virus, but it will on others)

2. Never click a link that seems suspicious, especially when it want's you to download updates. If you think you need updates, then go to that particluar company's website and update from there.

3. Before you click or open anything that you're suspicious about, ask yourself - - Can I afford to have my computer crash now? Is it really worth it?

4. Remember, just because an email comes to you from a friend on Facebook, that doesn't mean your friend really sent it. Always go to the site directly, and be cautious at all times.

Good luck Jabber!! And get back in there with your granddaughters with caution.

Take care,
Kathy

#197585 - 01/12/10 05:32 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Also...another important thing to remember if that if you want to question a link from a friend, simply write to the friend and ask....did you send me a link to open and is it okay to do so? If they are SURE it is, they will tell you.

My policy on Facebook is to use my head and follow my gut. If it smells like rat, it's a rat.

Which one, Jabber, refers to the virus threats on FB...there are many on there or there are many that have been sent to me.

And I NEVER open a link in an email on FB. EVER.

#197626 - 01/13/10 03:25 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

DD and jj,
Thank you very much. I told my granddaughter from S.C. about the
Facebook virus and we stopped using that site. I still haven't
told my gal from Italy about it yet. She uses Facebook to
chat with me but I'll tell her and we'll just do regular email.
I appreciate the input and caution! Prayers and blessings,

#197633 - 01/13/10 04:33 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Hey, Jabber - your grandduaghter is in SC? I'm near the capital. Is she in college?

#197640 - 01/13/10 06:34 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I have a niece in Anderson. Her boyfriend is going to Clemson, which is where our oldest went to college. I like the Carolinas.

#197693 - 01/14/10 12:31 AM Re: 1 question...? [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Good advice JJ. I too stopped all I was doing on Facebook. I had gotten engulfed in the rig-a-maroll there, games etc. I decided to just be a member on Facebook, but other than answering posts from friends, I am quiet there.

You can reach me of course on myspace, and facebook but I've made it clear I don't post anywhere but BWS, Writers Voice, Myspace but will answer or contribute to friends on Facebook. Too many strangers, too much chance for townfoolery!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#197783 - 01/14/10 01:28 PM Re: 1 question...? [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now they are charging for us to play the games on Facebook, what a rip...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved