The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#195068 - 12/03/09 06:40 AM Re: A little comfort [Re: chatty lady]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
The threat of atheism is actually very real in Europe. It goes under the guise of secularism. A particular decision of the European Court on an Italian matter is already proof of that. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/03/italy-classroom-crucifixes-human-rights

There is also pending legislation in the European Court where an individual or institution, in the exercise of faith and conscience, will no longer be able to opt out. And, this particular case will challenge that.
http://www.catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=34910
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/ch....case/24772.htm

Whilst it is the Christian communities which is at the forefront of the debates over here, the challenge posed by secularism confronts all faith communities. And, when the dust settles, there is really one question that remains to be considered: "Who do we answer to in the end?"

Here's a starter link to the debate...it's broken down into 14 parts. So, if interest beckons further, just follow through with the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_3d0q1LDa0

#195072 - 12/03/09 10:29 AM Re: A little comfort [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
"Hellish weather."..hahaha...

"The new atheism...the new fundamentalism. Interesting. Nothing allows to count against it." The priest held an excellent speech.
"What would happen to focus away on the creation God?" Good question."

I'll be watching the rest of the series. Thanks so much for posting this, Lola.

#195107 - 12/03/09 09:20 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: ]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Well, Anne, I guess, so much for my theory...or my father's theory. It's never good to generalize anyway. I suppose if you have unfinished business it's harder to go, or if you have a guilty conscience; that may make you fearfull. Whatever. I chose to believe in God, and believe peace is on the other side. Amen to that.

#195153 - 12/05/09 12:23 AM Re: A little comfort [Re: ]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
I live in Sweden. I know quite a few people that don´t believe in God..actually..most of my friends are not believers in God. And are definitely not church goers. My partner does not believe in a god. He lives by a simple creed, you could say..not to hurt his fellow human beings or anything living, for that matter..He decided when he was around 20 yrs old that he wanted to spend his life here on earth..happy..as much as he can. My youngest adult child made a similar decision when he was about 16 or 17. He will 20 on Christmas Day smile and he expanded his decision by adding that he wants to spread happiness as much as he can. My son is a very social type of being where as my partner is more quiet and I suppose introvert. My partner and my son didn´t know about their similar decisions when they made them. My partner, who is now 36 yrs old..made his quite a while ago now. (my partner is not the father of any of my children).

I am not trying to refute anything anyone has written on this thread..I think that one´s beliefs are so personal and mean so much. But I did want to enter my thoughts here...

Personally..I don´t know what I believe right now. I was a Catholic while growing up. Then a New Churchwoman(a church based on Emanuel Swedenborg´s writings). And now I am where I am..reading alot..tending towards Buddhistic thought, I suppose. I am ok with the thought that there perhaps is no God..or even an afterlife..and that this may be all there is..that which we have here. But I am not sure of anything right now..and maybe I never will be again..I don´t know..we´ll see. I lost a daughter when she was 11 yrs old..she would be 39 on Dec 19th. She´s with me..within me..always. I know that..If there is no afterlife..that´s ok now,too. But it would have been difficult when she died. I believed then..and yes..it helped then. I have experienced losses now too..and it´s ok where I "am" right now.

#195207 - 12/05/09 08:27 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I believe that a higher being brings so many comfort, strength, love, direction.....

However, I do not believe in an entity such as one god. The idea that there is One way to believe and live is beyond my comprehension. From what I have been privy too, each religion believes they are the one correct religion. That belief is just too small for me.

Like Humlan, I don't know what I believe. I do believe in science, but I also believe in unproven truths. For example, I believe that if you see the good in everyone and everything, you will live a happier life; if you live in negative energy, you will receive negative energy in return. All the new age jazz, I suppose, is where my leanings tend to go.

I am comfortable with anyone's beliefs, as long as they are uplifting and positive. I have recently attended 3 memorial services for people I love, and I was joyously singing the Christian hymns. I received the prayers and readings from the bible without any problem. It is not the path that I have chosen to take, but I will embrace the beliefs that others choose to select.

Lola asked (I am too lazy to go find the quote, so this is a general interpretation) what non believers go to when life gets tough. I go to you. I go to my inner peace. I go to the energy fields around me that bring me solace. I go to love of who and what surrounds me.

I speak from the heart.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#195237 - 12/06/09 02:50 PM Re: A little comfort [Re: Anno]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Anno, I go to the same places that you do. And also, my beloved music. Eventho lately it´s been more quiet here at home because I am trying to be with my inner peace,too. Now it´s Christmas time..so the Christmas music will soon be sounding gentle thru our home,too. I love it so much.

Anne, I have gone into to Churches often..for peace and quiet. And I take in the "feeling there". They are very beautiful and if you go when they are empty..wow..what a wonderful feeling. Some of them are so old here: from the 800´s or 1000´s. Just the thought..of what these places..walls..have seen..what the paintings that hang there or decorations have witnessed!!!! Well, it´s breathtaking! And then the old old gravemarkers outside. Or the Viking burial mounds that are scattered around the countryside here in Sweden. "It´s a kind of magic" to be standing there.

#196937 - 01/02/10 02:37 AM Re: A little comfort [Re: humlan]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I love the way the Vikings paid homage when burying their dead, adrift on a fiery boat out into the vast ocean. Thats so poetic!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved